Sign in with
Your question

Need help for low-end budget system

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2006 3:13:41 PM

Hey guys, i need a new computer for my family, its going to be used for mid-gaming, surfing on the internet, some video editing, that kind of stuff. I have really low budget, around $650CAN, which is like $580USD. I need a case(PS), mobo, cpu, gpu and memory. i was thinking going with socket 939. what do u think? can u telle me how much power i would need?350-400-450W?

thx

More about : low end budget system

September 24, 2006 3:45:03 PM

well for that money you can make system like mine but with a larger HDD.
Related resources
September 25, 2006 2:47:11 AM

939 may be the way to go if it is just a family pc, cheaper memory grab a single core proc, non-sli MB, 160gb HD, 7600GT 400w psu
September 25, 2006 2:51:07 AM

where in canada are you in?

if in T.O. I can help you out.
September 25, 2006 4:01:36 AM

Even with that low of a budget, Am2 seems to be the way to go. I wouldn't build a 939 system right now unless I got a killer deal. Think about it, you can get an AM2 MOBO and CPU for around $100USD. (I think the MOBO in my sig would be well suited to this situation)
September 25, 2006 9:39:13 PM

No i live in quebec, but thx. well the 650 includes the tax and everything. i dont need any hd, only mobo, ram, gpu, proc, case(ps). anyone has a setup in mind?

thx for the quick replies
September 25, 2006 10:51:13 PM

To go Sck 939 might not be the best move at this stage of the game as the other posters have said unless of course you can barter a mega discount 939 is after all going the same way as old yellow ie: out the back & shot in the head, so no future proofing there, an AM2 or C2D is the only logical path but what kind of outlay you're going to have to front up I don't know, do you not have computer fairs or similar where you are?, if not and you are limited to shopping on line or god forbid from the stores then 650 might limit your options somewhat I mean that equates to around 300 UK beer tokens (306.282 to be anal, I mean exact) cheapest sempron is about £50 and gets you a 2800+, £115 for a 3800x2, a C2D 6300 is around £130, cheapest mobo's start at around £40 regardless of platform and with RAM at about £45-£50+ for 512mb you're not left with a lot to spend on the PSU & GPU, an Asus EAX1300PRO/TD/256M ATI Radeon X1300PRO 256Mb DVI TVout PCI Express can be had for about £63 which leaves a small amount for PSU and case and you defiantly want to put more cash into the PSU than the case, I'm probably not helping much so I'm gonna stop typing and go get a beer, good luck on your quest dude. Peace
September 25, 2006 11:49:46 PM

Socket 939 and AM2 have almost identical performance; go with whichever one's cheaper. The s939 CPUs and mobos might be cheaper, however DDR RAM is more expensive than DDR2, which could potentially offset the price savings on the CPU/mobo.

I'm not familiar with prices in Canda, but in the states, it's definately possible to build an AMD or Intel dual-core system for that money, along with 1GB of RAM and a decent graphics card.

If someone could post a link to a good online shop in Canada, I'll compile a list of parts.
September 25, 2006 11:56:26 PM

you have a 3200 sandy core?
never heard of that one lol.
September 26, 2006 6:59:44 AM

i know its strange i have never heard of it either but... thats how... CPU's,everest,aida 32, PC wizard and any other program reads it.
September 26, 2006 8:39:33 AM

Quote:
Socket 939 and AM2 have almost identical performance; go with whichever one's cheaper. The s939 CPUs and mobos might be cheaper, however DDR RAM is more expensive than DDR2, which could potentially offset the price savings on the CPU/mobo.

I'm not familiar with prices in Canda, but in the states, it's definately possible to build an AMD or Intel dual-core system for that money, along with 1GB of RAM and a decent graphics card.

If someone could post a link to a good online shop in Canada, I'll compile a list of parts.

Cool, someone else wants to do the looking.

Try http://www.ncix.com/ ? And don't thank me, someone else (can't remember who) who lives in Canada said they used it.

I'm sure there are others, but that one isn't -too- bad.
Oh, and Skyguy already posted one.

-

mousemonkey, a sempron is £50? That's $95! That's highway robbery. Here (USA) with two exceptions they don't go over $70 (£37) and they start at $41 (£22). All the other stuff over there is mega-overpriced as well.

Using xe.com/ucc and Newegg.

I'd be curious how much your second rig cost you. 8O
September 26, 2006 10:51:51 AM

I bet you really want to live here now don't you, those prices were from a store's site by the way and there are other options like online with whatever discounts you may or may not get, I like to use fairs where lots of vendors are all together under one roof things are typically 10-20% cheaper, of course you can prod and poke a bit and quite a few are up for a haggle, as for my second rig it was around £1070ish which would be around $2,029 US, at the time AM2 was a bit too scarce and C2D was still just a rumour, highway robbery nooo, getting shafted with a pineapple covered in powdered glass more like but hey stiff upper lip and all that, just remember us brits when you next fill up your 'gas' tank. peace dude :lol: 
!