Help PLZ!!

SpiderXIII

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Ok I have a problem with my computer my spec are:
ATI Radeon 9800
not sure of the motherboard its the one that came with comp from Dell.
1 GB of ram

Ok the problem at first was that the monitor would work normal for about 5 mins and then a pattern of colors would pop on the screen I could still see the desktop in the back ground but could not do anything because the colors would pretty much block any use. Now when I turn on the computer and the monitor the monitor shows the no signal message. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with that explaination if you have any questions plz ask and I will answer the besat I can. Tnx in advance.

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
the graphics card is probably dying. if you have another spare graphics card test it. it coudl also be the Monitor or if the monitor has a detachable VGA wire it could be that, if you have a spare monitor test that in the current graphics card.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Ok I have a problem with my computer my spec are:
ATI Radeon 9800
not sure of the motherboard its the one that came with comp from Dell.
1 GB of ram

Ok the problem at first was that the monitor would work normal for about 5 mins and then a pattern of colors would pop on the screen I could still see the desktop in the back ground but could not do anything because the colors would pretty much block any use. Now when I turn on the computer and the monitor the monitor shows the no signal message. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with that explaination if you have any questions plz ask and I will answer the besat I can. Tnx in advance.

It sounds like artifacting to me, means the video card is overheating. Are you using a stock Dell PSU? Give us temps underload and fullload to further determine the problem.

diesalot

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Sounds like the Video card has been damaged. either from heat or a bad PSU.
same thing happend with a friend that had a dell. his dell had no fan in the case except for the one in the cheap power supply.

SpiderXIII

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
PSU? Sorry not the best at computer lingo...My comp has a near new fan and one on the video card...another thing is now for some strange reason when I turn my computer off completly the fan will still run and it sounds like the video card fan is running as well. Not sure whats causeing that either. The video card is not that old. My friend told me that it could be my monitor is going out or has gone out. Also have a near new power supply so I sont have the cheap dell bought one. the dell is about 6 or so years old but I ahave upgraded it somewhat

sailer

Splendid
Since your fans are still running, it could be that the motherboard is going out. Sometimes its too easy to blame a video card and forget that the video card also connects to the motherboard. If your case doesn't have any fans, and my old Dell didn't, you might add an exhaust fan in the back of the case or out the top of the case.

Oh yes, if it got too hot in the case, the video card may have burned up despite being fairly new. Heat destroys a lot of computer parts.

SpiderXIII

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
It was the the video card :( Which is sad cause it was just a year and a half old :( I put my old Rage 128 pro back in and its working. I guess i'm stuck with it til I get some money for a better one. Thnx all for all the help really apreciate it.

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
when you get a new one make sure it has good cooling on it and also try adding extra cooling to your set up to prevent it from hapening again. also doesnt the graphics card have some warranty?

SpiderXIII

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I got it from tigerdirect I doubt it has over a 90 day warrenty. I've had it for about a yer and a half so warrenty has probably ran out long ago...

pauldh

Illustrious
If it was a retail box Built By ATI 9800 pro, it would have a 3 year warranty.

bba9800proqp3.jpg