FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
OK. I just got my C2D E6600 system up and running on a P5W DH Deluxe. In the BIOS and in Ai Booster its telling me the cores are running around 39C at idle which I've read on here is normal. But in Core Temp it says the cores are running at 50C which is way high. I've got a Lian Li case and a Scythe SCINF-1000. A 120mm fan on the cooler blowing back through the cooler and then a 120mm fan on the rear of the case right behind it sucking the air out. I put Artic Silver 5 on it same as always and have never had a problem with putting too much on or anything. The cooler seems snug and only just wiggles a little but thats to be expected with how massive this thing is.

Which is correct? I want to OC but if my temps are already that high...

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
man i would have to believe the bios and ai booster are coorect
the core temp must be bugged or somthing.

you could get a non contact thermometor and try it
they are around 100$ or less i think.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
you know whats strange my cpu used to run at 55c idle and 60 at max but then i had to disassemble it. when i put it back together idle dropped to 32c idle and 38c under load. i wander if sometimes if the processor is just a tad bit off the temp is outrages and putting it in just right helps.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Well, I still don't know which program is right but I found that one of the push pins holding the CPU cooler on was loose. So I got that mounted back in (seems a large jolt can easily unset this thing cause its so huge) and now my temps in Ai Booster and BIOS are 29-30C and in Core Temp 36-37C on Core 1 and 1-3 degrees hotter on Core 2. So while I don't know which is right, I'm back to an acceptable idle temp.

Also found that my rear case fan was blowing into the case instead of sucking out. So that could have contributed as well. My motherboard temp was reading 50-55C before and now its also down 10C to about 40C. But I've read with this board, that that temp is the southbridge chip, not the northbridge. Before I did anything, I actually took the heatsinks off and replaced the thermal paste with Artic Silver 5.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
OK. I just got my C2D E6600 system up and running on a P5W DH Deluxe. In the BIOS and in Ai Booster its telling me the cores are running around 39C at idle which I've read on here is normal. But in Core Temp it says the cores are running at 50C which is way high. I've got a Lian Li case and a Scythe SCINF-1000. A 120mm fan on the cooler blowing back through the cooler and then a 120mm fan on the rear of the case right behind it sucking the air out. I put Artic Silver 5 on it same as always and have never had a problem with putting too much on or anything. The cooler seems snug and only just wiggles a little but thats to be expected with how massive this thing is.

Which is correct? I want to OC but if my temps are already that high...

This is a compliation of two posts in another thread.

For my E6600, on a stock Intel cooler, with no mods temps are:

Open air idle............23.5'C

Open case idle........ 26'-27'C
Open case loaded....29'C

Closed case idle......29'C (New filter)
Closed case idle......32''C (Dirty Filter)

Closed case loaded..32'C (New fliter)
Closed case loaded..36'C (dirty filter)

The highest I have seen the CPU at is 36'C. The mobo, on the other hand (asus P5WDH) has hit over 50'C

Idle temps taken from:
BIOS
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

Loaded temps taken from:
Asus PC Probe II
MBM5
Hmonitor 2.4

All moniters indicate within +/- 1'C of each other. They are also +/- 1'C of the BIOS for idle temps.

I tried the "Core Temp" utility, however I have disregarded its readings as they did not match the others by a gross margin.
I suspect the "Core Temp" utility has a formula error as the difference between its temps and the other monitors is suspiciously close to 32

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
You need to understand that Core Temp, just like Intel's TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool), read the temperature straight from a digital thermal sensor (DTS) located near the hottest parts of the CPU core(s) (TM2). All the other apps (including the BIOS) read from analog sensors located elsewhere within the packaging (TM1) or even under the socket for some motherboards.

You're just deceiving yourself when you dismiss the readings from Core Temp and TAT as innacurate because they are too high for your taste, deep inside, the core(s) do get that hot, hiding your head in the sand won't change anything about that fact.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You need to understand that Core Temp, just like Intel's TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool), read the temperature straight from a digital thermal sensor (DTS) located near the hottest parts of the CPU core(s) (TM2). All the other apps (including the BIOS) read from analog sensors located elsewhere within the packaging (TM1) or even under the socket for some motherboards.

You're just deceiving yourself when you dismiss the readings from Core Temp and TAT as innacurate because they are too high for your taste, deep inside, the core(s) do get that hot, hiding your head in the sand won't change anything about that fact.

Im not going to go into it all again, so why dont you pull your head out of the "sand" and go here to read it:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1264973#1264973

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
To me it is worth the 19 bucks to register a copy of Eversest, which reports both the socket and ODTM temperatures.
Jack

I havent seen this one. Do they have a "trial" version?

Yeah, linked above. It is one of the more informative system information tools I have found. I like it because it also has memory bandwidth tests (sometimes used on some HW review sites).

The temperature reporting for C2D has been a major source of confusion. When I first booted up and looked at Asus bios, I was unaware they were taking the temperature reading from TM2 (which I believe is off die).

As I educate myself, and reading through your thread and Wusy/Sid's postings, I am building more confidence in my temperature measurements. It is actually nice to have apps out there taking the thermals from two different spots, it sorta allows one to validate the other.

Jack

Yeah, TAT is pretty much consitantly 20' higher than MBM Hmon, probe. Core Temp, has been inconsistant and in excess of 30'C different from MBM Hmon, Probe and 10"c of TAT.

Most of the problems have arisen from people running core temp, expecting to see idle temps in the 20's or loaded temps in the 30s-40s. Not gonna happen. Ever. But the folks who are seeing 40's idle in the BIOS (on the asus boards) have problems

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
As I said, since reseating the CPU heatsink, my temps have gone down. It also has to do with that my case doesn't have a fan blow air back to the CPU with the side off because it has a lower 120mm on the bottom cooling the hard drives and a rear 120mm sucking air out of the CPU. The fan that brings the air in is on the side and cools the GPU, the chipset, and brings in fresh air for the CPU. With that fan in and the side of the case on, my temps are at 29C on the CPU idle and 31C on the chipset. At full processor load, the temp goes up to about 37-38C on the CPU and only by a few degrees on the chipset. Thats not using Asus Probe.