Win locks up when running MemTest when OCed

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
when i run Memtest my computer will lock up to where the mouse wont move, no audio is coming out...nothing, as if the computer isnt even on other than the display frozen to my screen. This problem does not occur when running things like 3dMark06 which makes me think this is mainly a memory issue?? Anyway, anyone know what the problem could be?

E6600 @3.2 (400FSB 8x multi) 1405 bios

My comp stats are in my sig but here are my voltages:

vCore 1.525
vMCH 1.60
vDIMM 2.2
vFSB 1.40
vICH Auto

Pci exp freq 101
pci sync 33.3

Dram timings: spd

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
K, i increased the MCH to 1.65 and it ran memTest longer this time (i stopped it at 30% just cause i assumed since it did not lock up fast like before that it was fixed) however, i was wrong :( When i ran atiTool and was testing for max clock speed the computer locked up the same way as it had in memTest. could another one of my voltages be too low? maybe the cpu at 1.525 is too low? or what about auto on the ICH (should i put it at max of 1.20) or even the 1.40 on FSB termination voltage

*EDIT* - ok now this time when i ran atiTool to find max gpu speed the computer flat out restarted a few minutes into the test.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
yea vMCH wont go any higher than 1.6 on my p5w dh and I am not sure i trust myself enough to mod it just yet. Thanks for all the tips though. the system runs without flaws after running prime95 for about 2 hours. Cant figure out why it still fails in atiTool or memTest.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Get a household fan blowing into the case and increase all voltages to the max except stopping @1.55V for CPU and 2.35V for RAM.
Most importantly, whip vMCH to at least 1.75V because that seems to be your problem.
Consider it as a temporary experiment to find what exactly is limiting.

Just keep in mind that a lot of experinced P5W DH users are vmodding their vMCH to reach 1.9V so they can run 440-470Mhz FSB stable.

Wusy you got a link to how the Vmod is done on the P5W DH board?

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Your problem is that you are running software... if you stop running software, you wont have any more problems... I promise:)

Mike

BTW I Overclocked my machine too 10 Ghz yesterday, and it worked perfectly... I know what your thinking. but I did... and I was able to use it without a flaw

I was using it to hold my door open!

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
The windows version of Memtest is about as useful as whiskers on a sausage. It can not "unlock" memory which is being used by windows, or other apps - so it therefore, can NOT test the memory. :p

You require the boot-floppy of Memtest86. Shutdown machine, and restart into BIOS ensuring that boot from floppy is enabled, and is #1 in the boot order. Shut down again. Insert Memtest86 floppy. Boot machine. Wait at LEAST 12 hours, but test for 24 to make sure.

And once again: a SINGLE memory error in a 12 hour period means BAD RAM: replace it! But test 1 stick at a time to find the bad stick.

Once again - I'll repeat myself - just in case you didn't understand the first time: MEMORY MUST WORK 100% CORRECTLY 100% OF THE TIME. Am error rate of 0.000000000001% means BAD RAM.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I think this is just about the definition of insanity!

Mike

Well there is a SMALL chance that a radioative particle flies down from the stars and hits the memory at just the right time... or worse... the earth spews a bit of radioactive particles and wam... an error...

Or MAYBE

The radioactive particle changes the result from a failure to a positive...

...You should probably run the test twice too make sure

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Errors in memtest can be dependant on circumstances other than bad RAM. Especially when overclocking. RAM should be tested FIRST at default settings to make sure it is not defective. If RAM cannot pass at default settings, then you have defective RAM. If you get errors while overclocking, you need to adjust the RAM's settings until they pass and stability has been achieved.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
ok, so now the computer does not lock up in memTest (cause i changed vICH to 1.2??) but it still shuts down while running atiTool findMax clock speed. here are my settings:

vCore 1.55
vMCH 1.65
vICH 12
vFSB term 1.4
vDIMM 2.2

timing 5 5 5 15 (trying them loose first) **wont boot**
when i run timings at spd it boots

bios version 1405
FSB 400 mult 8x
RAM 800

i hope all my higher voltages dont break my system haha. getting 2 40mm fans for my NB/SB tomorrow, hopefully that helps lighten the load.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
This is a problem with ATI-Tool... I dont recommend the find fastest settings... I dont recommend the ATI-Tool Period...

I have worked hard to find the default voltage settings for my video card, and I dont trust the ATI-Tool to display the voltages on the initial start up...

First question you got to ask yourself is if you benchmarked some games you play on (FEAR is a Great one)...

I set FEAR to my maximum settings that my monitor supports 1280x1024, and I then run FEAR FPS Benchmark/test/whatever they call it...

I pull 50fps+ with 0% on anything lower...

So why should I overclock it?

Movies or Video (I forget which one) display at 30 fps, while the other one displays 23 fps... A very few percentage of people can see the flicker at 23fps... I would recommend a 25fps to be safe... Chances are if you have FPS over 23 you will NEVER see a single instance of slowdown.

In multiplayer fps shooters where time is important... a Videocard with a super high fps may be able to provide actual character movement faster... This is a BIG maybe...

I have also seen that ATITool doesn't run stable on the P5B (basic) motherboard... I blame this on the BIOS...

Mike...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Also...

and this is most important...

DONT OVERCLOCK MORE THEN ONE THING AT A TIME!!!!

Is your videocard failing or your Motherboard do to the usage of some stress test the VC uses...

God only knows and I cant tell you...

I hate to say this, but I just can not, nor will I help you anymore until you first uninstal ati-Tool, uninstall catalyst, then goto http://www.driverheaven.net/ and use their drivercleaning program.

Then re-install Catalyst Drivers, and then DONT enable the default OC utility, run and overclock the machine till you find the correct settings... If its stable for a week, without crashing... and if its stable at prime... then either A) push your processor more, or B) enable the DEFAULT catalyst OC utility...

Again, run it for a week... write down the numbers... check for artifacts in games (watercoolers you may get artifacts after an hour or more of a heavy game because of the time it takes to max out the heat of your water... and your water WILL get warm...) then make adjustsments...

If you are using watercooling, and your videocard is on the same watersource as your cpu... make sure you test the CPU with a 3DMark, then when the water gets warm, run Prime... ATI cards run REALLY hot... and Warm water up ALLOT! I run a LARGE radiator, and will get 10-15 more degrees with my Videocard running a game, even though my processor my not be near 100%.

Now is when I have to get a bit firm... Dont come back here posting about OC problems with video cards if you dont take the time to do one thing at a time... We, at least I, just cant solve your problem... Sorry, but its the blunt truth... I dont know if your video card is failing or your motherboard...

ATI Tool is a GREAT tool, but with stock cooling the performance gain you will see will be very nominal, unless you want to turn your fan on 100% and hear that vortex for the rest of your life:(

Thanks
Mike

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
OCing in the bios, AiBoost isnt even installed.

as for why oc when i can already play fear on max....cause i can :) haha. why buy a ferarri when the speed limit on a HW is like 65? some just like to have top stuff :)
But honestly, cause when new games like fsX and crysis come out I want to have all my settings at their peak performance.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
But your going to fast, and you got Allot of time...

It would be great for me to pump you with magic numbers that will fix your machine... but I cant...

I also would love to have the BEST PC IN THE WORLD! and then dance around and say HAHAHAHAHA!

BTW... I would buy a fast car for the track... not for the road... though it is nice too pick up the women... I am 99.9999999999999999% sure your NOT going to get any sex over your fast CPU! Im 99.99999999999% sure you WILL get LOTS of sex, with a Ferrari!

Lesson: Save your money and buy a Ferrari...