Poor cpu overclock, could this be why?

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm currently sitting at 3.1ghz and a vcore of 1.46 with my E6600. Mobo is a P5W DH and a SI-128 HSF. PRIME95 gives me errors when I take the vcore to anywhere over it's current setting. I did a complete rebuild including replacing the stock thermal grease on the mobo, and discovered that my mobo came without a thermal pad on the northbridge HS. I have some pads on the way, but would this be the reason I'm getting a bad overclock compared to most people who are also using air?

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Well, 4 hour memtest86+ gave me no errors, and I'm pretty sure my 600w SLI PSU is plenty. Only thing I can think of is the NB getting too warm, but just wanted to make sure that may actually be the case.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
MacGyver a 80mm fan or something to blow some air over the NB and see if that helps. I hadn't heard anything about NB temp problems on the p5w-dh but it could still be a problem.

My personal bet is that it is the RAM failing not the CPU or NB overheating. Remember that an E6600 at 3.1 is still a kick ass CPU!

Try relaxing the RAM timings and see if that helps.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
...that's a first... and extremely shocking
Slapping on cheap white silicon goo will do.

Well, i'm just going to tailor some thermal tape i'm getting from frozencpu. Anyways, RAM timings are set to use SPD, so is there another way to see if it's an issue with my ram other than memtest? I don't really want to settle with 3.1 since I spent extra to get all the optimum cooling for a high clock. 3.6 was my goal, and I won't give up until it's certain theres nothing else I can try.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
E6600 @ 3.1
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2gb OCZ gold DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 (using spd)
600w OCZ SLI PSU
2x 7900GT

348 fsb
1.45 vcore
1.65 vMCH
1.40 vFSB
1.05 vICH
2.1 vDIMM

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
The cpu idles at ~36C and loads around 48C. This is with Core Temp. Gonna see if I can get an RMA on the RAM, since these sticks have known flaws and incompatability issues. Unfortunately I did not know that at the time.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Here's an update:

Got the new RAM, which OCZ updated to the platinum sticks. However, I'm still getting the error after 1 minute, even when using no ram in PRIME95. Load temps are still below 50C on the CPU so i'm not sure what else it could be. Should try the older 1305 bios?

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
yeah, didn't change anything. Looks like I probably just got a bad cpu, unfortunately. Core one errors after less that a minute while core two has no errors after 8 hours.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Possibly, but if it only bums out when overclocking the CPU is not defective. You'd have to prove the CPU bums out at stock settings in order to get some sort of warranty replacement.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I have the exact same rig and was having some temp issues with my Thermalright Ultra 120. What should my rig, on average, be getting with the Thermalright Ultra 120? Thanks.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Temperatures are affected heavily on the ambient temperature of the room the system is in. If it's in a hot room, the system will run hot. If it's in a cooler room it will run cooler.

What is the temperature of the room the system is in and what temps are you getting from the CPU?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I really dont know about room temp, but I could guess it's somewhere between 20-30. Its pretty warm in our apartment. I think the boiler is just below us, and the radiator is a few feet from my PC (only way I could fit it in, in this small place). Sometimes it gets really hot!

The temps I got after going through one heck of a mission by reseating the HS and everything, was around 40C idle and 58C load. I ran Intel Thermal Analysis Tool, loaded both cores at 100%, and recorded temps. After an hour, I calc'ed the average and high temps.

Average was around 50, and high was 66 (which becomes a little scary).

You see the prob is I have nothing the bench this against! It's hard to find someone with the exact same sysytem, yet along find 10 people, making the N in that equation statistically meaninful when calc'ing averages.

IS THIS SYSTEM RUNNING HOT OR COLD BOYS? Is it too dangerious pushing 66 at times. What if it hits 70+ like it did first time around? I havent even gotten to 3.6Ghz yet, which is my goal.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Make sure you have the latest BIOS. If so, then I would say the CPU may have hit its limit. I had two E6400 on my DS3 and they reacted totally different to overclocking. One had no response to voltage except for the heat it generated. I actually had it to 1.525 in the BIOS and it climbed to 80c using TAT's load. The CPU thermal protection mechanism started kicking in at this temp. The other CPU is still going. I maybe able to get 3.6 if I can keep the heat down.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You're running an overclocked, air-cooled system next to a heat source in a room that can reach 30C. Your temps are not surprising. Hopefully the system is not in an enclosed space like a cabinet. What kind of ventilation does the case have and what fan are you using on the Ultra 120?

I wouldn't worry about the idle temps, or the temps you get with general computing. I'm not familiar with the max C2D temperature ratings so I cannot comment on the load temps. Google the info and go from there.

With that environment, I'm not sure 3.6 Ghz is going to be a feasible OC to sustain for the lifetime of the system. Perhaps watercooling would be in order, but my knowledge in the water cooling realm is vague at best and something tells me that the room's temperature plays a part in watercooling too.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
For reference Fishboi, my E6600 is OC'd to 3.14GHz with 1.35 vCore.

Idle temp = ~36C
Load temp = ~45C

This is with a Thermalright SI-128.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Those temps are really great. I truely think I have a dud CPU here. If you saw any of my other posts, I've been having a hell hole of a time here trying to bring down my temps. One thing I can say is that Artic Silver 5 dropped my temps by 10C. I was so damn amazed.

Full load temps in the high 60s I am not happy with. I would love to bring my temps down to high 50s at load, but am not sure how easy that will be. I probably shouldnt even attempt to OC further with my max temps at 66C right???
What do you guys think?

Idle = 40, full load = 66, therefore delta = 26. Wusy said if it's greater than 26, room for concern. Geeeez man. Sucks big time.