haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
I had to reimage 2 IBM NetVista PCs with 98SE. I used the quick restore cd for this. After I brought the systems up and tried to connect to the LAN, neither one of the 98 PCs could talk to the network. I put all the protocols and services needed to make a connection. The network cards had activity on them. What is wrong? What should I check?

Thanks

cisco_sleeper

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
If you had to reimage them, they prolly do not have an IP address. Then from your last post im assuming your network uses the TCP/IP protrol suit. So go to the control panel, click on network. Then a window will pop up, look for something that says TCP/IP and your network cards name. Click on it, then go to properties. Then look for the tab to set the ip address. The computer is prolly set to get n ip from a server computer called a DHCP server. Youll see where in that menu where to set the ip, i cant think of it off my head.

They should make a brand of clothing called Cisco Router and Switch... Yah, that beats the hell out of Ambercrombie and whatever...

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
you are probably right, but the windows default is dhcp, not static. So wouldnt it just default, or go to the correct settings before?
Also man, if that doesnt work, tell us what the problem is exactly with the connection. You can also try downloading a network traffic analyzer called ethereal, and see what it turns up.

haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
Will ethereal show how much traffic is sent from each ip address? Where can I download it from? Thanks for the info!!