Need your thoughts on this guide and prospective computer.

lazynewb

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/10708_3633106__8

I am in need of a new computer, I usually play Starcraft, some CS/Quake3, I aim to play Quake4/HL2 based games with the new computer. I want this computer to last 3 years or longer (consider I'm using a P4 2.4/512ram/integrated graphic/15 inch notebook now), sometimes I read things on hardware sites but still lack knowledge in many areas, one thing I understand is that it saves money big times this way. I won't overclock or upgrade any parts. I don't have much money to spend, this guide linked above was just published a week ago, I will be buying a 19' CRT instead of the 17' LCD, but I don't know if that nvida 7600GT is a right match for conroe 6300, maybe in the game the GPU will be limiting the performance while not reaching the CPU's full potential? and people were saying bad things about anything generic, should I get a brand name RAM instead? also, the PS comes with the case, is it a bad thing here (it did say antec there)? I live in Canada so I will be ordering from ncix.com. and should I get a soundcard (won't be a good one since it's value rig, but I have very good headphone)?

exe.gotfrag.com/portal/story/33662
according to the story read there, the kaspersky one is the best, what are your thoughts on anti-virus solutions? I have a distrust on free ones because avast4 apparently isn't doing things right on my computer right now (constantly popping up warnings for the same issue again and again, it simply recreates itself)

Thanks very much

edit: So, I'm going to get conroe 6300 + ASROCK ConRoeXFire (i945P) + 250GB harddrive + 7900GS + Sonata II (with 450W SmartPower 2.0 PSU), will it be good with the motherboard and 450W Power Supply? if it's ok I guess this is it

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I don't see a 6300 there, but I see a 6400. The 6600 might almost be worth it, though. It does have double the cache. I was going to say that a 7600GT is pretty much the best card in that range you can find...but you may be able to find a 7900GS on that site for $10 or $20 more that you like, which should be even better. OCZ and Corsair are extremely good for RAM, Mushkin has gotten a bit of a following as well. Kingston is extremely good (or was and now is just "really good"), but is normally extremely expensive.

Case looks good, Antec is...I'd be lying if I said they were great, but they're fairly good, power supply-wise. Integrated sound isn't as bad as it used to be, but then again you can get a basic sound card for like $15 or so.

There is no way in hell that you can't get a 250 or 320GB hard drive for ~$30 more...well worth it, screw the 120 suggested.

The longer you want it to last, the better components you should get. Sad but true.

What's your budget look like (CAD)?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
edit:
according to the story read there, the kaspersky one is the best, what are your thoughts on anti-virus solutions? I have a distrust on free ones because avast4 apparently isn't doing things right on my computer right now (constantly popping up warnings for the same issue again and again, it simply recreates itself)

Thanks very much

Used AVG for a few years now - free and good IMHO

lazynewb

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
So, I'm going to get conroe 6300 + ASROCK ConRoeXFire (i945P) + 250GB harddrive + 7900GS + Sonata II (with 450W SmartPower 2.0 PSU), will it be good with the motherboard and 450W Power Supply? if it's ok I guess this is it