x1950xtx graphics issue -need help

godlytoys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Hi, I just finished putting together my new gaming rig.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
E6600 Intel
Ati HIS x1950xtx 512mb
Corsair 2gb 800mhz
Cooler Master 600w PSU
Samsung DVD Burner
Zalman HSF
Two 80gb 7200rpm Seagates

Everything was going fine. I expect to overclock in the near future, but havent done so yet. Got everything together, installed windows, installed virus protection, and Heroes of MM5 and World of Warcraft.

I had a couple issues getitng the latest video driver installed, but finally got the 6.9 catalyst installed.

I ran the system fine all yesterday during all my installs. Got up this morning and about half an hour I was in World of Warcraft. I bumped all the settings up and the resolution to 1600x1200 (max for WoW and my SyncMaster 204B LCD). Ran fine for about 10 minutes then BAM! The screen froze and started with this wavy garble junk. Eventually errored to desktop with VPU error (recovered). Now whenever I get into WoW it does the same thing soon as I get past the login screen (before I can select my character though). Sometimes it crashes to desktop, other times it just completely locks and I have to hard reboot. So... video card fried? How can I isolate that its the card and not the mobo? What advice can you suggest/actions I should take now?

Thanks in advance!

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Try Catalyst 6.8, instead of the 6.9's. My PC run fine until I installed 6.9, couldn't get GTR2 to even start. I rolled back, and the game launched again.

Someone also reported issues with 6.9 previously.

godlytoys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Yes, I tried that last night, then ran a video stress test app on it and it didnt even last 5 minutes. The VPU kept resetting. So with 6.8 or 6.9 it still bombs. I am going to try and RMA it this morning and hope I dont have a problem.