What Mobo does Dell use?

Chowganhime

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Hey,
I was just wondering what motherboard dell dimensions use, to be specific the Dimension E510. Mainly because I am thinking about putting in a better graphics card. Thanks in advance :D

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
well, they all use different kinds of mobos. look inside your computer and see if you have the slot for whatever graphics card you want.

it looks like you have an xpress 200 chipset, so you should have PCI-E.

TedMC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Took a look at Dell's specs for this computer and yes it does have a pcie x 16 slot...however from all the specs I could find it appears that a PD 820 is the fastest processor available and the power supply is only 305W......bad.
This is a BTX format computer with all low grade hardware designed to be cool and quiet.
Well with only a Pentium D820,gpu on the mb, and a 305W power supply it would be able to be quiet.
Honestly there is hardly ANY way to run much of any "gaming" graphics card on this thing without some wholesale upgrades that would:
A) void the warranty
B)If you didnt mind voiding the warranty the unfortunate chances are
C) the 500W psu you need WONT FIT
D)The RADEON/GeForce video card WONT FIT
E) You dont get an oem OS disk any more just a rescue disk
When you have a problem with ANY other part of that computer and try to call dell....you're just asking for trouble because you have to lie to them and tell them your computer is "bone stock"

Your Dell probably has a board made by Intel or Foxconn. Dell has also used asus boards in the past, but I don't know if they still use them. The big disadvantage with Dell is you normally have to use a Dell replacement board, due to the design of the case. They run about $200 new, last time I checked.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Took a look at Dell's specs for this computer and yes it does have a pcie x 16 slot...however from all the specs I could find it appears that a PD 820 is the fastest processor available and the power supply is only 305W......bad.
This is a BTX format computer with all low grade hardware designed to be cool and quiet.
Well with only a Pentium D820,gpu on the mb, and a 305W power supply it would be able to be quiet.
Honestly there is hardly ANY way to run much of any "gaming" graphics card on this thing without some wholesale upgrades that would:
A) void the warranty
B)If you didnt mind voiding the warranty the unfortunate chances are
C) the 500W psu you need WONT FIT
D)The RADEON/GeForce video card WONT FIT
E) You dont get an oem OS disk any more just a rescue disk
When you have a problem with ANY other part of that computer and try to call dell....you're just asking for trouble because you have to lie to them and tell them your computer is "bone stock"

dude if he was looking for performance, he wouldn't have gotten a dell, i woudn't dwell on it.