Can't remove desktop icons - help

I have several WinXP PCs, and on a few of them, but not all, I can't
remove certain icons on the desktop or Start Menu unless I'm logged in
as Admin.
I don't know where this setting is to change it. Can anyone help me?
2 answers Last reply
More about remove desktop icons help

    Hi

    Which particular icons are they? It may be necessary to logon onto an
    account that has Administrative privleges to delete them - not necessarily
    the Admin. Acc.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
    >I have several WinXP PCs, and on a few of them, but not all, I can't
    > remove certain icons on the desktop or Start Menu unless I'm logged in
    > as Admin.
    > I don't know where this setting is to change it. Can anyone help me?

    On the PCs it happens on, it's any icon. Can't delete any icon at all.
    I'm trying to remove Adaware and NOrton Systemworks from the User
    desktop, customers don't need to see those or use them. I have several
    other PCs set up the same way, winXP, etc, and on those I can remove
    them even as the User, so I don't understand the inconsistancy with
    the windows setup, or how to make them all behave the same.

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<OsPjptHzEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Which particular icons are they? It may be necessary to logon onto an
    > account that has Administrative privleges to delete them - not necessarily
    > the Admin. Acc.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
    > >I have several WinXP PCs, and on a few of them, but not all, I can't
    > > remove certain icons on the desktop or Start Menu unless I'm logged in
    > > as Admin.
    > > I don't know where this setting is to change it. Can anyone help me?

Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP