Selecting a motherboard and chipset for E6600

Hello all, I'm new to these forums. I'm want to ask about motherboards and chipsets for the E6600 that I plan on purchasing soon. I'm slighty confused on which motherboard and chipset to get that would provide the best performance along with some good features (so that I may upgrade later on). I plan to overclock, so what would be some great mobos and chipsets that I should check out? I'm going to be doing just about everything with my new system (gaming, media, internet, some video and picture editing, ect.), so I want to make sure I choose a mobo and chipset that will satisfy my needs, along with great overclocking capabilities. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
26 answers Last reply
More about selecting motherboard chipset e6600
  1. See the very well detailed thread in these forums linked below:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Selection-Conroe-ftopict200354.html
  2. Thank you lendude. :)
  3. The Asus P5W DH is, right now and according to anandtech, the best overclocking Conroe motherboard.
    The P5B Deluxe is getting BIOS updates wich are making it more overclockable but nobody knows if itll pair up with the P5W DH.

Some boards (Gigabyte with the P965 chipset) claim to be quad-core ready, and actually that is the board tomshardware used in their most recent review.
  4. Alright, thanks rwaritsdario. Yeah, I'm kind of stuck between choosing those two mobos (either the P5W DH or the P5B Deluxe), I'm not sure. What do you all recommend or suggest I purchase in the long run? Thanks.
  5. get Gigabyte DS3 or Gigabyte S3. they are really good.

Not sure about the P5Bs as a lot of people seem to have probs in the forumz.
  6. Also which RAM would work best with these mobos? I plan to get at least 1GB if not 2GB. Thanks.
  7. Updated news: The P5B Deluxe seems to be winning in the FSB race. Definetly a better bang for buck.

Go with ANY DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings. All the ones of these type will perfom the same. I would sell it out for 2GBs, that way you wont need to upgrade the RAM in a long time and youll be able to run 4gigs someday.
  8. Quote:
    Also which RAM would work best with these mobos? I plan to get at least 1GB if not 2GB. Thanks.

just my 2 centz...

I, too, do all that & then some with my systems...
    I 1st got the P5B & had too many minor annoyances, including ASUS tech. support never getting back to me on any of my main issues, i.e. chassis fans not being recognized, missing usb header cables, their built-in ethernet intermittently working, RAM incompatibility issues, etc...

Naturally, I returned the mobo, got the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6.
    No problem.
    One small issue I had though & wished someone had mentioned this to me before...
    I had a problem finding a CPU cooling fan that would fit this mobo since the Thermaltake Silent-775 CPU fan I had used an X-type bracket which screwed the fan in place under the mobo to secure it. You can't use a CPU fan utilizing an under-the-mobo cross-type bracket due to GIGABYTES giant & beautiful heatsink system which sits under the mobo. You need something like the stock Intel E6600 cpu fan. I called GIGABYTE'S tech supp & within 5 min. they answered the phone. Two of the tech supp guys actually jumped on the net for me while I was driving around & pointed me to a local vendor. Other than that, this mobo & it's utilities have been great. Overclocking is great & simple using their utilities, which, have been updated on their website. This mobo is expensive though. I paid $255. The RAM I have is the OCZ DDR2-800-6400 5-5-5-12. BTW, this ram looked like it was bad when installed in the ASUS P5B mobo. It wasn't the RAM.

Good luck & hope some of this helps...
  9. If not helpful to the OP, you were at least helpful to me suzukii. I've been trapped in this very conundrum for the last couple of weeks and you've helped me crystalize my thinking. I'm still undecided, but the ASUS board I was considering has another mark against, the Gigabyte another mark for.

Now if I can find someone who has been using the new Abit AW9D-MAX board...
  10. Quote:
    If not helpful to the OP, you were at least helpful to me suzukii. I've been trapped in this very conundrum for the last couple of weeks and you've helped me crystalize my thinking. I'm still undecided, but the ASUS board I was considering has another mark against, the Gigabyte another mark for.

Glad to hear it. I hope you get what you're looking for. Let me know how the ABIT mobo specout comes out should you opt to go that route. I'll be looking to build a new system & in my past experience neither ABIT nor ASUS have been good with me. Maybe you'll have better luck. What about DFI & MSI mobo's. Looked at them yet?
  11. Quote:
    If not helpful to the OP, you were at least helpful to me suzukii. I've been trapped in this very conundrum for the last couple of weeks and you've helped me crystalize my thinking. I'm still undecided, but the ASUS board I was considering has another mark against, the Gigabyte another mark for.

Glad to hear it. I hope you get what you're looking for. Let me know how the ABIT mobo specout comes out should you opt to go that route. I'll be looking to build a new system & in my past experience neither ABIT nor ASUS have been good with me. Maybe you'll have better luck. What about DFI & MSI mobo's. Looked at them yet?

Not too hard. I'm pretty easy on the chipset, as I have a SATA optical and already want SATA for my HDDs so I don't really care if I only have 1 PATA channel (which will do fine for another optical); at least between the P965 and the 975x chipset boards. The boards people have been talking about in those sets are the ASUS, Abit, Gigabyte, and Intel boards. I'm not too keen on the intel boards from what I've read, and plenty of people do seem to have trouble with the ASUS in it's myriad forms - Gigabyte less so. The Abit board I'm considering has teh right stuff, but it's new and I've only read reviews from a month ago of production boards with non-final BIOS and not in a consumer pack. I like the Gigabyte DQ6, it looks nice and robust and seems to spec out right, it was used here at THG for the new C2Quad, and I think it will be realtively forgiving to a first time overclocker like myself. I read a good review of the MSI P965 Platinum (and like the 10 USB 2.0 slots) but again not quite final for the review. And reviews never give you info about the tech support. The DFI Infinity 975X is uncommon over here in the UK, which may be why it wasn't on my radar until lately.

But of course, I'm thinking I'm marrying myself to this mobo for probably at least 2 years, so I don't mind the outlay of a high-end board, and the extras can be very worthwhile - like decent tech support or having a good BIOS and tools. So I'm left with a bunch of options I expect I won't regret any which way. Like I said, your opinions were of help because of your experiences with ASUS and Gigabyte in mobos I'm considering, largely because we are still running a bit at the bow wave here and there isn't a whole lot of experience with these (mostly new) boards with the new processors.
  12. I am using the asus p5b deluxe wifi, and love it . The latest bios allows crossfire on the board, and best of all, the AI suite included allows OCing without touching the bios.

I got a much more stable OC using it than the bios.

And took all of 12 seconds to do. Add in the wifi, and the fact if I doOC too far, it resets to stock automatically.

Hard to beat at around $200.

My e6600 is cruising at 3.4 and solid as a rock, I was not able to stay prime 95 stable using the bios OC.
  13. Would you say that there isn't too much of a difference between the P5W DH and the P5B Deluxe in terms of Conroes? Is the P5W DH a slightly better overclocker with a few more features than the P5B Deluxe in terms of Conroes, or vice versa? Also would the 975X chipset (P5W DH) be best for Conroes than the P965 chipset (P5B Deluxe), or vice versa? They both seem to be excellent boards, they both can support Crossfire (which I plan to upgrade to in the next few months), but which one ultimately comes slightly on top compared to the other (using a Conroe)? What's everyone's take on this? Hopefully this will end a lot of the confusion. Thanks!
  14. Quote:
    Would you say that there isn't too much of a difference between the P5W DH and the P5B Deluxe in terms of Conroes? Is the P5W DH a slightly better overclocker with a few more features than the P5B Deluxe in terms of Conroes, or vice versa? Also would the 975X chipset (P5W DH) be best for Conroes than the P965 chipset (P5B Deluxe), or vice versa? They both seem to be excellent boards, they both can support Crossfire (which I plan to upgrade to in the next few months), but which one ultimately comes slightly on top compared to the other (using a Conroe)? What's everyone's take on this? Hopefully this will end a lot of the confusion. Thanks!

The P5B Deluxe has gotten BIOS revisions. Now it has better overclockability and unlocked multipliers. Also now its for sure that itll support quad cores.
  15. Alright, but does the P5B Deluxe overclock better than the P5W DH now, in terms of Conroes (specifically the E6600)? Regardless if it is or not, which one, in everyone's own opinion, is ultimately the best for Conroes? Thanks.
  16. The Abit AW9D-MAX.
    With its new beta BIOS it has taken the FSB crown from P5W DH just recently and max overclocked better than it.
  17. Alright, but I'm not looking to do extreme OCing, just decently high in terms of not going all out on cooling and all that. After looking around and finding more about it (pretty easy overclocker and supports Crossfire very well), It looks like I'll go with the P5W DH. Thanks for everyone's help and thoughts!
  18. The P5W DH has a behaviour when overclocked that annoys quite a few folk in that it cold boots when you restart - the Abit doesn't do this.

Apart from running Crossfire the Abit also ships with an SLI bridge for those running SLI with hacked drivers (the Asus may ship with 1 too - I don't know).
  19. What do you mean by 'cold boot'?
  20. Nate_AVA, see http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17633821

wusy, not yet but it's planned ...
  21. I haven't seen anyone mention a big limitation of the P965 boards - the x16 lanes don't run at 8x8 like the 975x boards with dual GPUs. This was the deciding factor for me in ordering a 975x board. Maybe now it isn't a big issue but with DX10 just around the corner I think that bandwidth is going to be in demand.
  22. Wow, the ABIT board you posted also is Quad Core ready...

hmm...
  23. Quote:
    Wow, the ABIT board you posted also is Quad Core ready...

hmm...

Supporting quad core is not unique to any one board. List is posted below:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2848

Oddly, ABIT was the only manufacturer not to reply to thier inquiry when compiling the list - I am sure that in the end though most high-end P965/975x boards will be flashable to Kentsfield support-able.
  24. Hello,

The best board for the E6600 is the Asus P5W DH for only $239. It overclocks quite well and has many features like wireless lan, dual nic, high def audio, esata, etc.

Now if you are willing to spend $320-$349, get the Asus P5WDG2-WS Professional. It is basically the workstation version of the P5W DH with the same featureset but has 2x PCI-X (4 PCI slots) and actually overclocks slightly better than the DH.

****Both the DH and are cross fire and based on the 975x.

See the review of both boards here:
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=c2dmb&page=4
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=c2dmb&page=5
  25. yea, but did you also take into note that in Q3 07, Quad Core will be put on 45 nm die rather than 90 nm. That means that current 975/965 will only support the 65 nm version and not the 45 nm.

Note: Look at signature about 975 boards. For 965... :?
  26. Thank you Admiral_Cecil for these very informative links. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Chipsets