Some help needed on brands please

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi

I am considering the purchase of the newish Nvidia 7950 gx2 and am a little confused by the different brands that are available selling this card:

So far I have seen BFG, Leadtek, XFX, EVGA etc and I was considering three makers ,
XFX - expensive
Leadtek -expensive but cheaper than xfx
Asus/bfg - the cheapest I have seen.

Is there a huge perforrmance or quality differences between these makes that I should be aware of? Can you guys recommend one to me?
IS there any brands including teh generic non branded cards that I definently shouldnt go for?

p.s I have heard that with direct x 10.0 coming along , these cards will belong to teh last generation. Any thoughts or views on this?

thanks &regards
SL

skud

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
The 7950gx2 is the most over rated card on the market. get a 7600gt or something and wait until dx10 is out. or dont get a 7600gt and wait anyway.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I honestly don't think that any brand of that particular card is significantly better than any other. The eVGA card comes with the step-up program, which will let you upgrade to a DX10 card for only the difference in price between the 2 cards (of course assuming the card is more expensive and is released in the next 90 days :wink: ). When in doubt, check the Newegg reviews.

Everything else equal, just get the cheapest one you can find. You could go with skud's idea and get something else, but if you're willing to spend the money and really want the performance, just get it.

To reiterate and sum up, figure out the performance you really want. Then ask yourself if you're willing to wait an indeterminate (probably a few months) amount of time for DX10 to deliver it. Otherwise, get what you want now.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
When in doubt, check the Newegg reviews.

Big mistake, i don't want to offend anyone, but reviews on neweggs are written by newbies and noobs who are complaining about every little problem :!: :!: :!:

I don't know about that....... If you look at the bottom of the reviews, most people do report that their understanding of the product is somewhat high or high. There must be a lot of experts that post there! :lol:

Escultor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I'm sure the thread starter will appreciate your advices about waiting for DX10 but, apart of djplanet, nobody gave an answer to what he was asking for firstly: the brand thing (an answer I would thank also :) ).

I think the quality of materials and the cooling system, as well as brand of the memory chips used and other details must make some difference in behaviour from some brand to another (heat, noise, consumption, OC capabilities, durability...); as long as not every brand follows exactly the Nvidia or ATi's recommendations and or use the same memory chips.

I registered looking for the same information than SilentLucidity about brands (I'm buying a 7900GS).

Thanks in advance.

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for the replies.. Now I am more confused (if that was possible) ...to wait or not to wait.

The reason I am unable to determine or answer some of the questions posed by djplanet is due to this simple reason:

I am running a pentium 600 mhz with a matrox millenium g400 MAX- *lol* so you can see how behind times I am.

Wanted to build a system which would not be outdated as soon as I finished building it.

Would still appreciate some further input on brands if people here have experience with the different makes.

rgrds
SL

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I'z told you to wait a bit for new dx10 cards, but if you wanaby the card know than i would go wiz EVGA, they got good customer fuck and support too :!:

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Hi

I am considering the purchase of the newish Nvidia 7950 gx2 and am a little confused by the different brands that are available selling this card:

So far I have seen BFG, Leadtek, XFX, EVGA etc and I was considering three makers ,
XFX - expensive
Leadtek -expensive but cheaper than xfx
Asus/bfg - the cheapest I have seen.

Is there a huge perforrmance or quality differences between these makes that I should be aware of? Can you guys recommend one to me?
IS there any brands including teh generic non branded cards that I definently shouldnt go for?

p.s I have heard that with direct x 10.0 coming along , these cards will belong to teh last generation. Any thoughts or views on this?

thanks &regards
SL

Ill have to agree with everyone else here, the 7950GX2 isnt a good card at this point. A sapphire 256mb x1900xt can be had for 250 at newegg.com

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Okay thanks guys, I think I will go with what you all saying... and get a middle of the road card for now.. unless I see too good a deal on the gx2..