Sign in with
Your question

What went wrong? Help me investigate!

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2006 1:31:50 AM

Hello guys. Need a bit of help here.

A friend had the good economic sense to buy a store-bought desktop from the States, and to use the contraption his merry way on the Emerald Isle.

Now, as we all know, the usual yada yada yada warning about voltage and all goes about, and I repeatedly advise to look for the stated power rating, voltage switch. Since there's no switch & the rating stated 250 V, I guessed it was all in the clear (I surmised it must be automatic switching).

The only thing barring the computer, was the American plug. Of which I advised to buy the appropriate adapter, which he did.

And when he flicked the power switch on the PSU, he saw a flash. And then nothing.

Now:

What could have gone wrong?

Could the use of the American cord be at fault? (all power ratings were observed and deemed compatible)

If the PSU goes out first, would the other components be safe? (the Power On switch wasn't turned on)

Should I take a class on PSUs?

I will try to glean more information as I'm too busy to make the trip to even see the computer.

More about : wrong investigate

September 25, 2006 2:24:54 AM

He said that the PSU didnt have a switch for that on the back. ^

I have one question.

What was the model of the PSU?

The thing that really bugs me here thouugh is the fact that he hadnt even switched the thing on in the back when that flash happened...
September 25, 2006 7:57:32 AM

Well, as I said, I haven't taken a look at the computer yet. My guess would be that the PSU is an OEM, and I also suspect & hope, most probably a fuse burnt out. But even if the fuse shorted out, that still doesn't explain what is wrong.

Quote:

The thing that really bugs me here thouugh is the fact that he hadnt even switched the thing on in the back when that flash happened...

Actually, what I did say was he did switch on the PSU (i.e the back).

And PSUs do draw power without having to turn on the computer's Power On switch (provided you turn on the PSU's power switch).
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2006 8:33:37 AM

240v AC has most likely turned that PSU into a strange smelling doorstop, fingers crossed it has'nt killed the mobo.
September 25, 2006 2:08:48 PM

Guys. Problem solved. After taking the PSU out of the box, it has been found that the AC voltage change switch is located on the PSU that is INSIDE the dektop case.

Also, it looks like I also learnt a lesson to look everywhere for that damned switch (my experience with PSUs with manual switches had the change switch out back, so it's also my partly my fault in giving the green light before making sure what was the actual equipment).

I now hold forever a grudge against AC voltage manual switches. :x
!