Dell X30 624Mhz or X50 520Mhz ??

January 22, 2005 5:34:37 PM

Hi there,

I am interested in either of these pocket PCs as they both have blue tooth
and 802.11b built in.

Apart from the external differences, are there any significant gains of one
or the other ?

I read in a previous review that the X30 could not enable bluetooth or
802.11b seperately.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks !!
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:10:59 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:34:37 -0500, Richard Smith <atari_400@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am interested in either of these pocket PCs as they both have blue
> tooth
> and 802.11b built in.
>
> Apart from the external differences, are there any significant gains of
> one
> or the other ?
>
> I read in a previous review that the X30 could not enable bluetooth or
> 802.11b seperately.

Well, the 50v has VGA screen...great for movies!

The X30 can do wifi and bluetooth separately using a free add-on app
called "WiFi Enable"

--
Brad Isaac
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com

Thanks Brad.

I am looking at the mid-range X50 with the QVGA screen so the resolution is
similar to the X30. The VGA version is a little out of my price bracket for
now.

Thanks.

"Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
news:o psk0s0l0625tyy7@blarneystone.belkin...

> Well, the 50v has VGA screen...great for movies!
>
> The X30 can do wifi and bluetooth separately using a free add-on app
> called "WiFi Enable"
>
> --
> Brad Isaac
> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com
> Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC
> Dowload Achieve-IT!: http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm
Related resources
January 23, 2005 1:18:18 AM

The X50 accept both SDIO and CF cards the X30 only SDIO
"Richard Smith" <atari_400@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Thanks Brad.
>
> I am looking at the mid-range X50 with the QVGA screen so the resolution
> is
> similar to the X30. The VGA version is a little out of my price bracket
> for
> now.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
> news:o psk0s0l0625tyy7@blarneystone.belkin...
>>
>> Well, the 50v has VGA screen...great for movies!
>>
>> The X30 can do wifi and bluetooth separately using a free add-on app
>> called "WiFi Enable"
>>
>> --
>> Brad Isaac
>> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com
>> Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC
>> Dowload Achieve-IT!: http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:18:19 AM

AS well, you can get the X50 with an awesome 640x480 screen. Wish I would of
waited. I have the 624mhz X30, with built in wireless and bluetooth. Haven't
used the bluetooth yet, but the wireless is dang fun to play with.

"Daniel" <daniel@portaldajuda.com.br> wrote in message
> The X50 accept both SDIO and CF cards the X30 only SDIO
> "Richard Smith" <atari_400@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Thanks Brad.
>>
>> I am looking at the mid-range X50 with the QVGA screen so the resolution
>> is
>> similar to the X30. The VGA version is a little out of my price bracket
>> for
>> now.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
>> news:o psk0s0l0625tyy7@blarneystone.belkin...
>>>
>>> Well, the 50v has VGA screen...great for movies!
>>>
>>> The X30 can do wifi and bluetooth separately using a free add-on app
>>> called "WiFi Enable"
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brad Isaac
>>> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com
>>> Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC
>>> Dowload Achieve-IT!: http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:17:10 AM

Do you have the software that disables the bluetooth ?

Just wondering how well it works and if it helps with battery life ?

Cheers.

"guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1106453854.471086@news...
> AS well, you can get the X50 with an awesome 640x480 screen. Wish I would
> of waited. I have the 624mhz X30, with built in wireless and bluetooth.
> Haven't used the bluetooth yet, but the wireless is dang fun to play with.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:17:11 AM

Actually the stock X30 can run either BT or WiFi independently. The Radio On
button and application (Wireless Power) does turn both on. The WiFi app
(WiFi Power) just adds a small app that you can point the radio button to,
to only turn on WiFi. BT is managed with an icon in the tray as with most
BT capable PPCs. That is independent of WiFi. Once you turn on the WiFi
radio manager, it too has a tray resident icon that goes to a screen that
will let you turn WiFi on and off independent of BT. So. While it takes a
little setting up, you can turn WiFi and BT on, or off, independently on the
stock X30. There just isn't a way to do that from a hardware button on a
stock X30.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Richard Smith" <atari_400@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have the software that disables the bluetooth ?
>
> Just wondering how well it works and if it helps with battery life ?
>
> Cheers.
>

> "guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1106453854.471086@news...
> > AS well, you can get the X50 with an awesome 640x480 screen. Wish I
would
> > of waited. I have the 624mhz X30, with built in wireless and bluetooth.
> > Haven't used the bluetooth yet, but the wireless is dang fun to play
with.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:38:11 PM

Richard,

I've had my X50 (mid) for about a month now - and it's just fine; fast,
reliable and an excellent screen. I suppose if you're really in to watching
movies on your device that the VGA might be cool - but from what I've read
640x480 on a screen this size requires pretty fine eyesight or a magnifying
glass. It's for the same reason that I stick with a 1024x768 display on my
laptop; the size of everything is "just right". My company did get me a
1400x1200 screen for my laptop but everything was just tiny - these
40-something old eyes could see it, just not without getting a headache
after awhile.

These PPC's are incredibly capable machines - but they are still pocket
devices. Screen real-estate tradeoff is a fact of life. If I want to see a
large representation of a spreadsheet then I just use my laptop, that's all.
QVGA is, IMHO, more comfortable for long-term use. However, your situation
might be different. I have read that a lot of tweaking and fiddling-around
needs to be done with the VGA units in order for everything to work the way
you want it to - adjusting the screen resolution differently for the
different apps. With the QVGA I just load my applications up and everything
works - no goofing around with it is necessary.

As for games ... man, am I thrilled with Virtual Pool Mobile! It really
rocks - and is great on the QVGA.

-bruce

!