Sign in with
Your question

The new DX 10 cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2006 1:46:15 AM

Yeah i heard the new dx 10 cards are comming out by december when new vista windows arrive.. well my question is are the nw dx10 card gona be be alot better then the new and monster cards such as the x1900xtx , x1950xtx , and the 7950gtx 2?????????????????? i mean whats the difference in the new dx10 cards in graphcs compared to the above cards .... are they gona be 4.0 shader?

More about : cards

September 25, 2006 1:59:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah i heard the new dx 10 cards are comming out by december when new vista windows arrive.. well my question is are the nw dx10 card gona be be alot better then the new and monster cards such as the x1900xtx , x1950xtx , and the 7950gtx 2?????????????????? i mean whats the difference in the new dx10 cards in graphcs compared to the above cards .... are they gona be 4.0 shader?

The new DX10 cards will hopefully arrive by the end of this year/beginning of next. Vista's supposed release date is January 30th. DX10 cards will only work on Vista. They will pretty much destroy a lot of DX9 cards. Yes DX9 cards will support DX10 technology, but wont be able to harness it like the actual cards will once they appear on the market.

The x1900xtx like you have will be able to play some games stably, such as Crysis and such, but most likely not on high settings. So save your pennies, they are also Power hogs too, using anywhere from 130-300w of power.
September 25, 2006 2:50:57 AM

so my x1900xtx cant run crisis in full graphics 8O wierd cuz i heard the crisis video in youtube they were playign ti with the x1900xtx crossfire????????
Related resources
September 25, 2006 3:03:33 AM

Quote:
DX10 cards will only work on Vista.

Bullshiit, they will work in WinXP also, but not have DX10 functionality.

Quote:
Yes DX9 cards will support DX10 technology

No...they wont. If you understood the architectural differences between the two DX generations(present and future)....you would stab yourself in the face, in retrospect of saying that.
September 25, 2006 3:06:01 AM

Quote:
DX10 cards will only work on Vista.

Bullshiit, they will work in WinXP also, but not have DX10 functionality.

Quote:
Yes DX9 cards will support DX10 technology

No...they wont. If you understood the architectural differences between the two DX generations(present and future)....you would stab yourself in the face, in retrospect of saying that.

Was just about to say the same thing...not quite in the same way, but the same, nonetheless... :wink:
September 25, 2006 3:31:37 AM

Quote:
If you understood the architectural differences between the two DX generations(present and future)....you would stab yourself in the face, in retrospect of saying that.

LOL 8)
September 25, 2006 3:51:38 AM

it will run crisis in high... but only in dx9 mode.
September 25, 2006 4:01:02 AM

yeah i headr the x1900xtx and the x1950xtx could run crysis full graphis fine but just that it won shot as much eye candy as a dx10 card would but its not a big difference in graphics...
September 25, 2006 4:03:29 AM

Quote:
this freaking furom is ****** lame and slow u people take for ever just to respond to my topic

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/X1900XTX-defaul...

I hope that everyone who reads this thread understands your feelings about this place, and gives you bunk advice on everything you ask about.

yeah ok lol this forum kind of sucks cuz i have a problem with my x1900xtx and the problem aint big and u people cant give me me the answer to my problems bah!
September 25, 2006 4:04:24 AM

Quote:
u people

WTF? Be nice 8)
September 25, 2006 6:44:01 AM

Quote:
this freaking furom is ****** lame and slow u people take for ever just to respond to my topic

I hope that everyone who reads this thread understands your feelings about this place, and gives you bunk advice on everything you ask about.

yeah ok lol this forum kind of sucks cuz i have a problem with my x1900xtx and the problem aint big and u people cant give me me the answer to my problems bah!

how about you not just take what you find here....but look around? maybe even then try trouble shooting and elimination process then fixing your own problem for a change..... then when your done, grow half a brain, a pair of balls and stop whining all the damn time.

*Browns lost today, I think thats why I'm upset*
September 25, 2006 7:10:18 AM

Quote:

The new DX10 cards will hopefully arrive by the end of this year/beginning of next. Vista's supposed release date is January 30th. DX10 cards will only work on Vista. They will pretty much destroy a lot of DX9 cards. Yes DX9 cards will support DX10 technology, but wont be able to harness it like the actual cards will once they appear on the market.

The x1900xtx like you have will be able to play some games stably, such as Crysis and such, but most likely not on high settings. So save your pennies, they are also Power hogs too, using anywhere from 130-300w of power.

>> Yes DX9 cards will support DX10 technology, but wont be able to harness it like the actual cards will once they appear on the market.

Absolute rubbish. DX9 cards won't be able to do DX10 in hardware, thats why they're called DX9 cards, geddit?

>> DX10 cards will only work on Vista.

Absolute rubbish again. DX10 cards will work with any PC OS including DOS, XP and Linux. Its just that they will also support DX10 in hardware if you happen to be using DX10, which is only available under vista for now. I say for now because I read there's already an effort underway to get it working on Linux under Wine, and I'll be surprised if someone doesn't figure a hack out to retro-fit DX10 to XP.
September 25, 2006 8:49:18 AM

I wouldnt worry about Dx10 cards straight away, most games for these wont be released until april 07, you will require vista to run dx10 as it wont be compatible with xp, and without a doubt vista will be held off for some reason or another, dx9 cards will continue to be main stream for next 12 months, first series of dx10 cards wouldnt run a great deal better as the top end dx9 cards today, e.g the x1950xtx with ddr4, will be up there with the first series, i am sure nvidia will release a ddr4 card before the new series is out. vista will run like a pig until first service pack is released, apperently vista is so 3d hungry even in desktop it will cook video cards because they are constantly under load.
September 25, 2006 11:41:44 AM

Actually, R600 will probably be at least 50% more powerful than X1950 XTX because:
- X1950 XTX is limited by its architecture and is only 7-10% more powerful than X1900 XTX despite GDDR4 memory
- R600 will have 64 pipelines (vs 48 in X1950 XTX), unified shaders and it will have even faster core and memory
- DX10 will allow to render more objects at the same performance
September 25, 2006 12:38:05 PM

Quote:

If you could write in English you wouldn't come across as such an idiot. People would take you more serously.
September 25, 2006 12:51:43 PM

WEll, the major issue with DX 10. ISSSSSSSSS
THE SOFTWARE SUPPORT. As most of us remember, when direct x 9 cards hit, we were like, WOW. But no games supported it out of the box... Took Years..
and that was with free updates via the OS. NOW since Vista will be the only platform that supports dx 10. so lets do the math. $200 OS +300> Video card just to get DX 10= a 10% penetration via the first 6 months.

Remember 100% of the Games sold at any one time. base their projected sales on the fact that 66% of users have atleat blah blah, card, and 33% have blah blah..

We can argue about games like BF2 when it first released, it caused many a person to upgrade their video Card. OR even oblivion.. BUT that was based on $40-$50 game. NOt a WHOLE new OS+apps+ a 1st gen dx 10 card..

My bet is that, the first dx10 card will rock, BUT game support will be sketchy. a hand ful of titles, but not the likes for a user to go out and drop >300(os) + >300-600 (videocard), just to play eyecandy crysis or halo dx10.
September 25, 2006 10:06:16 PM

Yeah, I doubt that Crysis on the high end DX 9 cards will be "Ugly" :-)
September 25, 2006 10:06:55 PM

true, true
September 25, 2006 10:12:22 PM

Also, as someone else mentioned, I remember VERY well when I got one of the first DirectX9 cards.... and there wasn't anything but tech demos for DX9 for like a year. Now, if Crysis is released on time, the DX10 card will make their debut.. but I will be VERY hesistant to jump on the first generation of DX10 cards.

I just have a feeling they will be good.. but not great. The tech needs to mature a bit more. Not hardcore fact... just my feeling.

I got a Radeon X1900XT 256 meg for $239 recently and it ROCKS. I can overclock it to XTX speeds.
September 25, 2006 10:14:09 PM

shit man i can't wait too 8)
September 25, 2006 10:31:12 PM

I just upgraded my PC in preparation to the onslaught of awesome games coming out in the next several months. I know my x1900xt won't run everything... but I think it will be ok until I purchase a DX10 card...
September 25, 2006 10:32:20 PM

shit man it'll be enough
September 25, 2006 10:41:07 PM

I sure hope so man...

I was going to hold out until the DX10 cards were released to go from a 7800gt to the x1900xt but I figured my 7800gt would be almost worthless when the DX10 cards come out...

Either way, I just want Crysis to come out so I can try that sucker out. I have a sneaking suspicion it will get pushed to next Spring though :( 
September 25, 2006 10:42:57 PM

good luck with getting fucked and x1900xt

RE5PECT
September 25, 2006 10:55:45 PM

Quote:
Also, as someone else mentioned, I remember VERY well when I got one of the first DirectX9 cards.... and there wasn't anything but tech demos for DX9 for like a year. Now, if Crysis is released on time, the DX10 card will make their debut.. but I will be VERY hesistant to jump on the first generation of DX10 cards.

I just have a feeling they will be good.. but not great. The tech needs to mature a bit more. Not hardcore fact... just my feeling.

I got a Radeon X1900XT 256 meg for $239 recently and it ROCKS. I can overclock it to XTX speeds.
If I get a G80, it will not be for the Direct X10 support, but the better Direct X9 performance.
September 25, 2006 10:56:50 PM

no shit, i was agree wis u
September 25, 2006 10:59:51 PM

Quote:

If I get a G80, it will not be for the Direct X10 support, but the better Direct X9 performance.
Yup, it's going to be a totally new generation, new features, and much more performance. DX10 is a little thing that people over-hype.
September 25, 2006 11:01:29 PM

Quote:
DX10 is a little thing that people over-hype

Just like with c2d's :wink:
September 25, 2006 11:03:39 PM

Quote:
DX10 is a little thing that people over-hype

Just like with c2d's :wink:
Yea, C2Ds were really over-hyped, especially when very first benchmarks were coming out. Still, they lvied up to most of the hype. :wink:
September 25, 2006 11:04:53 PM

C2D RE5PECT
September 25, 2006 11:12:14 PM

Quote:
THE SOFTWARE SUPPORT.

I agree to a certain extent. After we have DX10 hardware in our hot little hands, we will be waiting on the game developers to give us the goods.

But it will be an exciting time.

As most of you hopefully know, 3d programming has gotten a major overhaul in DX10, and the GPU as we know it is going to be a completely different animal.

No longer will we have seperate pipelines for vertex, and pixel shaders, no longer will the instruction lengths of programable shaders be chackled by some ubserdedly low number, no longer will graphics drivers and the API act as two seperate entities.....our games will be more immersive then we could ever have imagined!!!

Less bottlenecks in the pipeline = more vertices, triangles being fully lit and pollished, outputted to our screens!....I'm about to juice my pants by simply talking about it!!!

....at least this is what I hear :roll:
September 25, 2006 11:13:36 PM

Yo RE5PECT, i wanna lit some triangles too 8)
September 25, 2006 11:27:57 PM

Quote:

If you didn't have sh*t for brains you could always go look up this stuff yourself.
September 25, 2006 11:34:39 PM

Im sick and tired of all the dx10 bullshit. look a little before you post something. just stfu and get owned. i had enough with the dx 10 card shit. choke on a preztel
September 25, 2006 11:38:01 PM

Yea.....choke on my chizzle my nizzle :lol: 
September 25, 2006 11:43:27 PM

LOL
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2006 3:55:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I doubt that Crysis on the high end DX 9 cards will be "Ugly" :-)

The pre-E3 Crysis previews and videos were done on a rig running a single X1900 series card.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/705/705150p1.html

page 3 quote: "For reference, the gameplay demo we were shown was running on an X1900 (not dual)"

I'd say not ugly at all. :D 
September 26, 2006 5:22:46 AM

hmm can u make a x1900xtx and a x1950xtx work as dual card crossfire? crossfire....
September 26, 2006 5:54:40 AM

Quote:

yes they're gonna smoke the current top end.
yes they're gonna be shader 4.0 ( well nVidia will be anyway, there seems to be some question about ATI not really having a full implementation).
September 26, 2006 5:56:36 AM

Quote:
they're gonna be shader 4.0 ( well nVidia will be anyway, there seems to be some question about ATI not really having a full implementation).

Where did you get this from? Can you give us a link?

RE5PECT
September 26, 2006 4:27:57 PM

TBH if the ATI GPU didnt support SM 4.0, I really dont think it would matter....
I remember May of 04 when my friend was bitching about the X800's not supporting the feature... of course becuase of that he turned to be such an NV fanboy. So I pretty much said "find me a game that takes use of SM 3.0" -- he didnt have a response until a year and half later - which by then the X1800's were seeing the light of day.

Alot of people critisized ATI for the lack of implementation.....now we can see in 2006 how unnecessary it really was in the GF6. Which pretty much means they had decent vision in game development, and two...I feel bad for all those who whined about it.
September 26, 2006 4:34:55 PM

Quote:
TBH if the ATI GPU didnt support SM 4.0, I really dont think it would matter....
I remember May of 04 when my friend was bitching about the X800's not supporting the feature... of course becuase of that he turned to be such an NV fanboy. So I pretty much said "find me a game that takes use of SM 3.0" -- he didnt have a response until a year and half later - which by then the X1800's were seeing the light of day.

Alot of people critisized ATI for the lack of implementation.....now we can see in 2006 how unnecessary it really was in the GF6. Which pretty much means they had decent vision in game development, and two...I feel bad for all those who whined about it.

This is exactly why I am so hesistan towards "The latest and greatest new DX10 cards" that are coming out. I really think the 2nd batch will be the ones to go for.
September 26, 2006 7:30:06 PM

Quote:
I remember May of 04 when my friend was bitching about the X800's not supporting the feature... of course becuase of that he turned to be such an NV fanboy.

LOL, that's true, that is exactly how fanboyism starts, first you complain then you say fuck it BOYAKASHA
September 26, 2006 10:25:48 PM

Are there any dates on the release of DX10 cards, other than what we know about vista?

I've been working a shitty job for awhile and I can't wait to splurge all my money, coupled with Christmas money, to buy an Intel Core 2 Quad. I don't wanna buy anything before DX10 comes out but I'm impatient =( .
September 26, 2006 10:27:50 PM

Quote:
Are there any dates on the release of DX10 cards

No.
September 26, 2006 10:38:44 PM

it'll be a while, after they're released then you'll have to wait for price to settle. I'm sure when they're going to be released they'll be overpriced at least by 25% (like we saw with c2d's, when newegg stocked them, prices were way to high). So don't loose your patients, cause you'll need it
September 26, 2006 11:37:25 PM

Quote:
THE SOFTWARE SUPPORT.

I agree to a certain extent. After we have DX10 hardware in our hot little hands, we will be waiting on the game developers to give us the goods.

But it will be an exciting time.

As most of you hopefully know, 3d programming has gotten a major overhaul in DX10, and the GPU as we know it is going to be a completely different animal.

No longer will we have seperate pipelines for vertex, and pixel shaders, no longer will the instruction lengths of programable shaders be chackled by some ubserdedly low number, no longer will graphics drivers and the API act as two seperate entities.....our games will be more immersive then we could ever have imagined!!!

This is all pretty much true. However as others have said, the timescale from game design (happening now) to implementation on matured hardware and drivers will take a little longer.

Of course, Vista WILL be required to use all those pipelines as unified, and thus we have the biggest stumbling block to full DX10 adoption. Paying for a new OS. And, not only paying for it, but getting over the "It's crap, you don't need it, it spys on you, all corporations are evil" etc etc feelings.

What I believe will happen to make DX10 a success is two-fold.

1) First, every new Dell and HP etc etc will have Vista installed and some sort of DX10 card built in, whether it can play games or not.

2) After 12 - 18 months of Vista, game performance generally will not be greatly improved in terms of fps, but the sheer visual quality of several key games at this time will make older XP users upgrade to get them. It won't be one game, but a build-up of several that gamers simply can't do without.

There is a 3rd - ATI and Nvidia continue to kick the crap out of their R&D departments to get more and more hardware designed. Then Intel spend a fortune and try and crowbar into the market as well.

Just a few thoughts.
September 26, 2006 11:39:06 PM

Quote:
Paying for a new OS.

Are you serious? Who's going to do that?
September 26, 2006 11:52:43 PM

Quote:
Paying for a new OS.

Are you serious? Who's going to do that?

Read my post carefully. If you HAVE to upgrade, people will. It won't be one game, it will be several, that gamers feel they simply must have.

That, and all the people who buy a new pre-built PC.
!