Why can't my son son access my program

I installed Jedi Outcast, works great for me. My son has an "limited account"
and cannot play the game. Works in safe mode though. Any ideas, or thoughts
why the program only works for administrators.
--
Thanks Much!
2 answers Last reply

    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Jedi Outcast, works great for me. My son has an "limited
    >account"
    > and cannot play the game. Works in safe mode though. Any ideas, or
    > thoughts
    > why the program only works for administrators.
    > --
    > Thanks Much!

    Many games don't recognize mutiple user profiles. I would try making your
    son
    an admin, and installing the game under his profile to the same directory
    you used
    the first time, then switch his account back.

    gls858

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Jedi Outcast, works great for me. My son has an "limited
    >account"
    > and cannot play the game. Works in safe mode though. Any ideas, or
    > thoughts
    > why the program only works for administrators.
    > --
    > Thanks Much!

Safe Mode Games Microsoft Windows XP