quadfather 4x4 info from tweakers

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
translated for thos non dutch speaking persons
here is the orignal link check out the charts

"According to a by our known source with entry till roadmaps of AMD the 4x4-platform - also well 'Quad-Father' named - is based on Socket F. There three new processors would become brought out especially for the platform, to know the FX-70 (2,6GHz), FX-72 (2,8GHz) and FX-74 (3,0GHz). These models will wanted to become according to reports only in sets of two. The new FX-series has been based on the 90nm Windsor-core with a 125W TDP and two turn 1MB L2-cache. The brand 'FX' will in the future no longer uses become for AM2-processors, but that means not that there for the normal desktopplatform no faster chips more out will come: the FX-74 will for instance also brought out become with an AM2-voet, only then under the name Athlon X2 6000 +.

Further there is to be reported yet news over the first 65nm-chips of the business, that had to will against the end of this year in the stores. As expect get they all a 65W TDP with self with, but the maximum speed is well higher than AMD originally indicated. The fastest chip based on the 65nm 'Brisbane' -design will not namely 2,4GHz only 2,6GHz clock. Still not as fast as the 90nm-cores, but in spite of all that a good sign. Also appears the business self considered to have over the optimal quantity cache for the first 65nm-chips: instead of a 3800 +, 4200 + and 4600 + become it now a 4000 +, 4400 + and 4800 + expect. These clock just fast but have well twice so much cache on board. Below the complete survey of chips, that AMD bring want this year yet out:"

anybody want to hazard aguess at price point? I know there have been many threads about price and the such but I am just thinking that the fx 62 is still $700+ .

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah, it is encouraging to see the bin split get 200 MHz more than originally indicated.

Still not great news for those holding out for 65 nm thinking that 65 nm will magically create faster chips at the same clock.

Awww, don’t say that Jack. Everyone knows the Fairy of morally conscientious manufacturing enterprises will wave her magic wand over Fab 36 and AMD will pop out millions of $90 65nm 100TerahertzCPUs

On a real note, I had some trouble understanding that post. Are the 4x4 chips going to be strictly FX based or simply FX branded?

Long term, based on this report, how high do you think AMD might be able to go (GHz) with strict binning?

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
AMD"s 4X4 sounds like a piece of wood or some SUV/Truck .....
Why do they bother? Anyone can get a Tyan board now and get 4 X 4 working if they really wanted to. lol

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Can you SLI/CrossFire on a Tyan?

Don't think so.

...yet, anyway.

And registered RAM is a pain in the ass. I assume you're talking about 1207 boards and Opties, which are a bit -more- expensive as well.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Why do they bother? Anyone can get a Tyan board now and get 4 X 4 working if they really wanted to. lol

have you seen the price on those tyan boards? and the tyan boards i've seen are huge

ricardo

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Relax. It'll be cool. 2 dual cores @ 3Ghz a piece, each CPU with it's own bank of dd2 RAM. Good quality mobo. And a fast GFX card. 4x4 will rock!

I am betting that it will be very close with the top Intel consumer solution. Also, it could be the start of Multi-socket boards for the desktop market.

Remember how people scoffed at SLI. Sure it's ludicrous overkill, but in the end ATI had to follow suit.

What's going to be really interesting is seeing if anyone takes AMD up on the whole co-processor idea (Torrenza). That could be really cool!

Yes but it will be ridiculous more expensive than the comparably performing Intel option.
And since it shares the same qualities as server boards it will be ridiculously hot, and also need a extra strong power supply. Probably a 1kw PSU

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Relax. It'll be cool. 2 dual cores @ 3Ghz a piece, each CPU with it's own bank of dd2 RAM. Good quality mobo. And a fast GFX card. 4x4 will rock!

OK so 2 FX74's @ 3.0 drawing roughly 95watts per socket with a thermal output of 125watts per socket is something to be happy about? Then each socket will need its own separate memory pool, so that’s double the memory cost. Yet your saying after all that the 4x4 platform will rock, do you mean will rock Netbursts electrical draw and thermal output?

I am betting that it will be very close with the top Intel consumer solution. Also, it could be the start of Multi-socket boards for the desktop market.

You honestly believe that 2 FX74's will be able to meet or beat Core 2 Quadro setups?

You honestly want multi socket boards for the desktop market as well? When more cores per socket makes more sense economically.

Remember how people scoffed at SLI. Sure it's ludicrous overkill, but in the end ATI had to follow suit.

Yes because of the marketing aspect, our competition is doing it we have to as well.

What's going to be really interesting is seeing if anyone takes AMD up on the whole co-processor idea (Torrenza). That could be really cool!

Never know consoles have been using similar technologies to tie in their CPU and GPU cores.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yes but it will be ridiculous more expensive than the comparably performing Intel option.
And since it shares the same qualities as server boards it will be ridiculously hot, and also need a extra strong power supply. Probably a 1kw PSU

Right, troll. If 1KW PSUs ARE JUST COMING OUT, WHAT WERE DUAL OPTERONS USING LAST YEAR?

If one of AMDs server selling points was that they were cool, and people admit it, how can they be "ridiculously hot?"

Don't go away mad, just go away.

Seeing as how you were the first to start the name calling, I'll for the sake of being a bigger person, not lower myself to your levels. It was a observation based on not only the CPU, but also things like SLI, the amount of memory, PCI slots, SATA and other such necessities that influence my post. With the dual 2 core CPU also drawing 125 you think this wouldn't be necessary?
And where the hell did I say that 1 Kw PSU's are just coming out? Reread the post.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

OK so 2 FX74's @ 3.0 drawing roughly 95watts per socket with a thermal output of 125watts per socket is something to be happy about? Then each socket will need its own separate memory pool, so that’s double the memory cost. Yet your saying after all that the 4x4 platform will rock, do you mean will rock Netbursts electrical draw and thermal output?

You honestly believe that 2 FX74's will be able to meet or beat Core 2 Quadro setups?

You honestly want multi socket boards for the desktop market as well? When more cores per socket makes more sense economically.

Yes because of the marketing aspect, our competition is doing it we have to as well.

Never know consoles have been using similar technologies to tie in their CPU and GPU cores.

Yeah, cause AMD can't be responsible for anything. Has anyone thought that 4x4 is designed to make the next FX series have a WORTHWHILE LEAP IN PERFORMANCE?

In order to improve upon FX62, they CAN ONLY GO WITH DUAL SOCKETS until Quad FX.

That has nothing to do with Core 2 OR Kentsfield.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Can you SLI/CrossFire on a Tyan?

Don't think so.

...yet, anyway.

And registered RAM is a pain in the ass. I assume you're talking about 1207 boards and Opties, which are a bit -more- expensive as well.

Uh, yeah you can. Check Newegg.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Yeah, cause AMD can't be responsible for anything. Has anyone thought that 4x4 is designed to make the next FX series have a WORTHWHILE LEAP IN PERFORMANCE?

In order to improve upon FX62, they CAN ONLY GO WITH DUAL SOCKETS until Quad FX.

Well I was always under the impression AMD announced 4x4 because they would not be able to get K8L out to directly compete with Core 2 Quadro.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Here, I'll post the first authentic photo of the FX74 again...

:D

i3sfsxo.jpg

Seeing as how you were the first to start the name calling, I'll for the sake of being a bigger person, not lower myself to your levels.

Chill, Ninja. Don't take it personally. Everybody knows that the Baron is The T.O. of THG. Now if only we could get those 35 pills to stay down next time... :lol:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Seeing as how you were the first to start the name calling, I'll for the sake of being a bigger person, not lower myself to your levels. It was a observation based on not only the CPU, but also things like SLI, the amount of memory, PCI slots, SATA and other such necessities that influence my post. With the dual 2 core CPU also drawing 125 you think this wouldn't be necessary?
And where the hell did I say that 1 Kw PSU's are just coming out? Reread the post.

No wonder people think you are stupid. You said 4x4 will need 1KW PSus but Opterons run at 89W. If an additional 36W per processor is added with FX, that's an additional 72W. It then stands to reason that Opteron needs 928W PSUs so they have never been in production.

A base 4x4 will have 1 SATA drive, DVD, 4GB RAM, one 79xx card or maybe even 6150-level IGP. That plus 250W (it will hardly ever draw that much) will be far from 1KW.

Quad SLI is certified with 7-800W. IF PD was cranking out 200W why would having two chips at that rating be a bad thing?

Answer, you are biased against AMD.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Here, I'll post the first authentic photo of the FX74 again...

:D

i3sfsxo.jpg

Seeing as how you were the first to start the name calling, I'll for the sake of being a bigger person, not lower myself to your levels.

Chill, Ninja. Don't take it personally. Everybody knows that the Baron is The T.O. of THG. Now if only we could get those 35 pills to stay down next time... :lol:

And the Baron knows you all act like the gay roommates in Rent.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Are you serious? You must be kidding.

If Intel released Core 2 to just compete with AMD not to make their own chip inventory faster then they are fools.

IF AMD released 4x4 to just compete with Intel and not to get a big improvement on FX then they are fools.

People who buy a particular brand only care if that brand improves, not whether it is better than the competition.

and the fanboys of both sides(not just amd) are off to the races AGAIN....

Now core 2 is the fastest....but 6 months ago it was not....its leap frog....get over it...use whatever works for you.....AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ATI.... its all good

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006

No wonder people think you are stupid. You said 4x4 will need 1KW PSus but Opterons run at 89W. If an additional 36W per processor is added with FX, that's an additional 72W. It then stands to reason that Opteron needs 928W PSUs so they have never been in production.

A base 4x4 will have 1 SATA drive, DVD, 4GB RAM, one 79xx card or maybe even 6150-level IGP. That plus 250W (it will hardly ever draw that much) will be far from 1KW.

Quad SLI is certified with 7-800W. IF PD was cranking out 200W why would having two chips at that rating be a bad thing?

Answer, you are biased against AMD.

4X4 WILL need a 1K PSU, Opterons are server based, which means power savings in mind. FX CPUS are power draw monsters, and the newst ones will have higher clocks and cashes than the Opterons.

Ask yourself, whats the point of 4X4? Exsessive everything! That means 2 GPUs, 2 CPUs and tons of everything else! That means huge power draw. And dont try to say its not needed to have 2 high powered GPUs, 4x4 is for hardcore gamers ONLY. Not devs, not workstaion guys, gamers only.
Why? Cause there are already workstaions for devs and whatnot, AMD has even said this is specificly for Gamers.

The only aspect of 4X4 that should be considered, sense its targeted at performance with no price, is how it stands against Intels best. If rich gamers want the best, then they will only take the best. Now with this in mind the only thing that would make 4X4 useful to anyone is if it beats Intels Quad core or whatever is the best at the time. If it doesnt then it is completly and uterly useless, Compeletly!

As for when mulithreaded games come out, 4X4 may have the advantage in that they can use 8 cores against Intels 4 cores. Then we can see what happens from there.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
"..Opterons run at 89W. If an additional 36W per processor is added with FX, that's an additional 72W. It then stands to reason that Opteron needs 928W PSUs so they have never been in production. "

..?

Socket F Opteron 2220SE[2.8] is 120/125?W. The other DP Socket Fs are 95W.

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=10091

"Motherboards and processors will eventually be available in the market for DIYers, but not at first. AMD points to the "added complexity" of building 4x4 systems as its reason for giving high-end system builders the first crack at 4x4 hardware. The power and cooling requirements are too great, they say, for DIYers to handle."

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Are you serious? You must be kidding.

If Intel released Core 2 to just compete with AMD not to make their own chip inventory faster then they are fools.

IF AMD released 4x4 to just compete with Intel and not to get a big improvement on FX then they are fools.

People who buy a particular brand only care if that brand improves, not whether it is better than the competition.

What you are describing is that AMD are fools if they dont cater to fanboys. The REAL reason they released 4x4 is to compete with Intel, but you say no, its to make their FX series faster. Now lets do some math.

Faster=better
better=more attrative than before
more attrative than before=better relative to other companies products

So they made 4x4 to be better than other companies products, wait, whats that called?

Competition.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

lamer.gif

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

lamer.gif

Yeah, sure. Thx.