hard Drives for Servers

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Are there any 2.5" formfactor HD other then sever hard drives and notbook hardrives.

Most PC based HD are 3.5" and all the 2.5" are laptops. I'm looking for a 2.5" SATA for a server but I really don't want to pay for server drives. Any suggestions?

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I'm wondering why you want 2.5" drives for your server?

Since you dont want to pay for the 2.5" server drives then it seems that the server you are setting up should be fine with regular 3.5" drives.
If you really needed 2.5" drives then you would just pay for the them, There are no 2.5" drives for regular desktops, 2.5" drives, as you have stated, are only for laptops and servers.

It's cheaper to get a larger 3.5" drive that gives better performance, than a 2.5" drive that doesnt have as good performace and is smaller. IMO the only reason why 2.5" drives are better is because they create less heat and use less power. In your situation, it seems unpractical to get 2.5" drives because they are more expensive

Just my $0.02

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you ... I was doing some more research on it last night and I think your right. My original intent was an HP DL 380 G5. It has 8 Hot Swap bays for 2.5" drives. but the 2.5" formfactor is incredibly expensive not to mention the highest drive capacity is 72GB. I'm looking for about 300+GB in a raid 5 or 6 configuration with hopefully a little bit of room for expansion in case i need it.

I guess my next questions is who makes the most reliable servers for small business applicaitons? I really don't want to replace it for at least 7 to 10 years