Need Help: High frequency clicking during POST

minotaur

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
If I had any hair left I'd be pullin' it out...

Bought a m'board and processor combo from CompUSA (okay, I was in a hurry...) two days ago. Bought a new 350-watt power supply, a new 120gb Seagate ATA 100 drive, and a 512mb stick of DDR ram for the board.

Got home and proceeded in the following order: Mounted the new PS in an empty ATX case I had left over from an old business venture; installed the processor on the board, and the heat sink & fan on the cpu; installed the ram in slot one; installed the board in the case; mounted the hard drive, a cdrw, and a floppy in available bays; connected ribbon cables and power to the drives; connected power to the m'board; plugged in keyboard, mouse, and monitor; plugged in a power cable and turned on the power supply.

Fans start turning, drive lights start flashing, and POST begins. One beep. POST recognizes the processor. POST recognizes the ram. Then I hear a rapid repeated clicking noise coming from somewhere on the board. I have built alot of systems but this one is new to me.

So I power down, unplug, remove the ram, and disconnect data and power cables from the drives. I now have the board and processor, with power to the board, plus keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached. I power up. No noise from the board. I power down. I install the ram. I power up. One beep. POST sees cpu. POST sees ram. I hear rapid clicking noise. Power down.

Back to CompUSA with board, cpu, and ram. Swapped all three for new (identical) items. Got home. Repeated all of the above with identical results.

ARRRGGGGGHHH!!!!

Any assistance is very much appreciated.

motherboard: MSI PM8M3-V.
cpu: P4 511 2.8GHz 533MHz 1MB cache (called Intel and the tech says this processor will definitely work on this board with no bios update).
ram: PNY D512MPC320PT (it is on MSI's compatibility list for this board).

The rapid clicks last for about 3 seconds, after which the system boots. I installed XP Pro on the hard drive. Each time the system boots I get the clicks at the same point.

One other squirrely thing, probably unrelated: When I open IE6 and click in the address bar a damned IE HTML Help window opens and refuses to go away. I cannot use IE as a result. Downloaded and installed RC1 of IE7 and the problem persists. This is a clean install of XP Pro from my old volume license cd with a legit key, and the installation validates through Microsoft's online validation nonsense. There is no virus or malware on the system. Any ideas, folks? I'm at a loss.

minotaur

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Thanks Jack. I tried a second power supply, and it didn't solve the problem. I'm starting to feel like an auto mechanic, but there are no more parts to replace. I was thinkingthere is an incompatibilty issue; but I have made separate calls to MSI and Intel's techs and they all claim there should be no problem with this combination of parts.

With the case open I have tried to isolate the specific area emitting the sound, but cannot.

Too early to throw in the towel, plus I won't get my money back from CompUSA, so I need to figure this one out.

Any other ideas you might throw my way?

Thanks again.

Bill

minotaur

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Changed the keyboard, and the problem appears to be resolved. Very strange, insofar as the first keyboard works on every other machine in the house.