Windows refuses to start up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Millbuddah

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Here's the situation. My computer bluescreened on me earlier and decided to reboot. However, when it came time to start windows, the computer would freeze up. After a restart, I got the menu to chose between safe mode and normal startup. However, chosing normal mode freezes my computer, and chosing safe mode results in the computer hanging at trying to load MUP.sys.

I've tried to reinstall Windows to see if that'll fix the problem, however, during the install process, I will get a blue screen then a reboot right as the installation program finished loading the set of drivers at the beginning. This is driving me nuts trying to figure out what part is causing the problems. If anyone's got any ideas, I'd love some input.

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
AMD 64 3700+
2GB Corsair DDR ram
Seagate 300GB SATA HD
eVGA 7900GT
Enermax Liberty 500W PS

heh MSI + bluescreens, now where have i seen that before? :lol:

chuck in your windows xp disc and either press r to repair when it finishes loading setup, then do fixboot and allow it to write a new boot sector (no harm in doing so) and then do chkdsk /r /f (double check that one, do chkdsk /? for the commands, do everything you can there), if that dont help restart and boot from the xp setup disc again and let it go through till you get the screen where u have to agree to the EULA (by pressing F8) then it will list the currently listed os's and do a repair there and that sould fix if if the first fix didnt help. 8)

Here's the situation. My computer bluescreened on me earlier and decided to reboot. However, when it came time to start windows, the computer would freeze up. After a restart, I got the menu to chose between safe mode and normal startup. However, chosing normal mode freezes my computer, and chosing safe mode results in the computer hanging at trying to load MUP.sys.

I've tried to reinstall Windows to see if that'll fix the problem, however, during the install process, I will get a blue screen then a reboot right as the installation program finished loading the set of drivers at the beginning. This is driving me nuts trying to figure out what part is causing the problems. If anyone's got any ideas, I'd love some input.

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
AMD 64 3700+
2GB Corsair DDR ram
Seagate 300GB SATA HD
eVGA 7900GT
Enermax Liberty 500W PS

Millbuddah

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html Found after a 5 sec google go on give it a go you know you want to.

I gave it a shot but it didn't really help. It was worth a shot I guess. As far as trying to get recovery console going, I can't even get that far. When the Windows CD finishes loading the drivers and goes to try and start up, I end up getting a blue screen with the following STOP error:

STOP: 0X0000007E (0xc00000005, 0xF78A8EF1, 0xF78D21A0, 0xF78D1E9c)
kbdhid.sys - Address F78A3EF1 base at F78A7000, Datestamp 41107b09

So that stops me cold when trying to get an install going. Now, when I try and sstart up safe mode, if I don't get the hang at mup.sys, I sometimes get a bluescreen with and IRQ Less Than STOP error. I have a feeling its my Windows install that is screwed but why would that cause a blue screen when I'm just trying to start a setup program from the Windows install disc? If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in. I'd appreciate any help at this point.