P5B Boot Problems with IDE

tk993

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Hi all,

My problem concerns booting the system for the first time
I have recently purchased the CPU,MB, 7600Gt graphics card and decided to put them inside my system. However, I wish to use both my IDE drives. I have a know that i cannot do this since there is only one IDE slot on the P5B.

The motherboard has several SATA ports which I do not use atm.
When i start the system (with the boot priority: CDROM, HDD), I place the Windows XP SP2 disk into the CDROm. When the drive reads the Xp disc, the following comes up, "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR". and then everything stops. The strange point is, i tried the same CD and booted another computer with no problems.

In addition, both HDD have data in them from my old Socket 478 P4 system (they were working in perfect order before I upgraded)

I do have the latest P5B Bios 0509

Can anyone shed some light onto my situation? In particular, suggestions in configuring my BIOS would be helpful. For instance:
main>Sata configuration (Enhanced, Compatible or disabled?)
Configure SATA as (IDE or AHCI)

I have also heard that JMicron controllers control the IDE connections, Sohow should i configure the JMicron options:
ADVANCED>JMICRON SATA/PATA Controller (enabled or disabled?)
JMicron SATA Controller mode (RAID, IDE or AHCI)

In addition, Would buying a SATA HDD solve all my problems and I would then be able to install Win XP SP2 on it?

Kind regards
Tom

Current build
E6300 C2D CPU
P5B motherboard
IDE CDROM drive
1* IDE 20 GIG HDD
1* IDE 120 GIG HDD
EN7600GT Graphics card
1 gig (2*512) Corsair ram
500 W power supply

MJL686

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hi tk993,
I have a solution to offer to you with links.
IDE to SATA150 converter - you plug this thingmajig into the back of your IDE so it can convert the signals into SATA150.
You will have to get a SATA150 cable so you can use it though.
Well use the link and see for yourself.
http://www.directron.com/adp172202.html
I will be using one for my new rig for a 300gb storage HD I have and I will let you know how it works for me - I'll post by Sat.
I have used this company for years and they are great to find hard to come by parts - based in TX.
MJL

tk993

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Hi MJL

I saw the link you provided me. Thanks for that, I didnt know they existed :D I reside in Australia and I found stores that provide that converter in Australia.

Anyway, with regards to my problem BOOTING from the CD-ROM Drive, I think I may have found a conclusion. Today, I asked a friend to examine my ailing Core 2 Duo and P5B vanilla system. We had a look at the cabling inside the machine and the messages continued to appear (CDBOOT: COULDN'T FIND NTLDR).

After mucking around with a few different combinations, we decided to examine the CD-ROM itself (since all "4" Windows XP discs would boot on other computers except my one :evil: ) Having a look at the back of my CD-Rom i realised that there is a PIN missing (however, this was not the main problem as it seems).

I went to buy a new DVD burner at AUD$65 at a local store. When it was installed the CDROM boot would not work. Instead of the CD:BOOT error, the screen was blank with a flashing line until it eventually restarted itself. The next step, we unplugged the harddrive from the HDD cable that also connects the DVD burner. Surprising enough, the CDBOOT worked. The windows setup screen appeared before my eyes. However, this has certain implication for my new system.

Since the IDE cable is solely used by the DVD BURNER, I will have to either buy a converter (as suggested by MJL...Thx) or I must invest in new SATA drives.

I was wondering if anyone knows (if it is possible) for the connection of a DVD BURNER and a IDE HDD on the same IDE Cable? My friend's explanation is that the Harddrive and DVD BURNER interacts differently, thus they cannot be plugged on the same IDE cable.

Anyone considering buying a P5B motherboard should also consider a few more things from this experience. Since there is only one IDE port on the MB, old harddrives should be considered. Thus it is highly possible for people with old IDE harddrives to invest a bit more (Unless you have a SATA DVD Drive which frees up the IDE cable). Investing in converters or new SATA drives appears to be the options for users with IDE harddrives (Unless someone could post a solution to my dilemma).

regards
tk993

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
It isn't a good idea to have both the IDE HDD and DVD drive running off the same IDE cable. The performance of the hard disk is hampered, as they chew up the limited resources from one another and because you have only one IDE port on your PC, your best bet is to use an IDE-SATA converter for the HDD (I never knew they existed either).

SATA optical drives are pretty expensive, and I wouldn't personally go for one. An IDE converter + IDE DVD drive is the best way to go. GL