Sign in with
Your question

Random System Crashes

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2006 10:33:26 AM

My pc randomly crashes,
i could be doing anything at the time or absolutley nothing.

when it crashes the system just locks up, no restart, no bluescreen, just freezes up.

what could be wrong here?
Specs in sig.

any help/steps for trouble shooting appreciated.

More about : random system crashes

September 25, 2006 10:44:07 AM

Random freezes are mostly contributed to temperature problems and hardware compatibility. When CPU gets close to its threshold most times the system will try to throttle it but in most cases it simply locks up. Check you temperatures in the bios when you POST or uising some type of hardware monitor. For most cpus you will want to be around 45ish idle and 55ish load.

Another problem can be hardware compatibility or possible a failing component. Usually, ram can give this type of problem when an error passes through the memory. Idealy when a bit error passes through the memory the system will BSOD but sometimes depending on whats wrong it will lock up. Run some memory test like memtest86 to verify your ram is in good shape.

Last but not least, Video cards. Video cards are notorius for this symptoms depending on their age and whether they are overclocked or not. What usually happens is a video card must switch between 2d and 3d when switching between games and the desktop. If for some reason the card itsself is overheating then it will lock your system. Possilbly try and get a thermometer and see what your temps are at the heatsink.

Post your results so that we can try and narrow down the problem.
September 25, 2006 11:12:50 AM

cpu is idle about 55 and load 57 ish according to everest
gfx card gets up to 90 under load. idle 70.

All was fine untill yesterday.

things i did yesterday:

moved into a new house.
installed Razer mouse drivers
Installed HP PSC printer

sometimes it locks up when im nowhere near the computer for a couple of hours.
Related resources
September 25, 2006 11:40:45 AM

You GPU temps are extremely hot. I would investigate to see what the cause is. Verify you have good airflow in your case and the fans in the back are exhaust. Also check to make sure there was nothing jossled around during the move.

Matter of fact now that i think of it. Aside from the temperatures it may have something to do with voltages. Check to make sure, using the hardware monitor, if all your rails are where they need to be. If you have severe fluctuations or surges then it could quite possible cause lockups. Which could also mean a failing PSU. Check your voltages and post what ya got.
September 25, 2006 12:43:22 PM

Right, it just locked up again.

checked bios temp monitor and it was at 49-50 right after reboot. (so im guessing that everest is reading temps wrong)

according to everest the +12v is fluctuating between 0.06v and 0.19v (occasioanally skips up to 0.45v) its a brand new PSU.

(and ive litterally just started having problems with lockups)

its really fking annoying.
there is not like a set sort of thing im doing when it locks up i could be just browing the net etc nothing to intensive and then LOCK nothing move and i have to manually restart.
September 25, 2006 12:55:42 PM

Hows your air flow?

Also whens the last the you did a reinstall of windows?
September 25, 2006 2:25:41 PM

It is a brand new build so latest install of windows was last week.
i am using the latest Omega Drivers which are based on catalyst 6.7.
(it only started recently though, after a week of being fine)

and yes, the screen just freezes with no error messages and the keyboard does not work, nor does the mouse.
September 25, 2006 3:20:16 PM

your temps are definitely on the higher side and these power fluctuations are almost crippling to new systems ,try getting another psu and then do the test for about a day during load(play a heavy game ) .If your face lock up's then your cooling is not good try opening the cabinet and running the pc and your problem should be solved also try tightening the ram modules and get updates for the graphic card stable one's .
bye
September 25, 2006 3:23:47 PM

Quote:

according to everest the +12v is fluctuating between 0.06v and 0.19v (occasioanally skips up to 0.45v) its a brand new PSU.

(and ive litterally just started having problems with lockups).

Ok, the power supply could be brand new, but it also might be faulty. A flakey psu can cause lockups, as you desribe. Another possibility, which I suffer in my area, is fluctuating power from the AC line out of the wall. It bobs around like a yo-yo. I installed a ups and my crashing problems were solved. You said you moved into a new house, so you might have a problem with the AC coming into the computer.

The BIOS temps will be more accuate then Everest, so if they show things as normal, then they probably are. As grimmysnr suggested, an extra fan or two could help with any heat problems, if they exist.
September 25, 2006 5:26:51 PM

could it have been caused by drivers?
i installed a razer mouse driver and my printer.

i have now restored from a few days ago when i knew it was working fine and it hasnt locked up for sever hours *touch wood*

could those have caused it?
September 25, 2006 5:59:20 PM

Sure, it could possibly be a driver conflict problem. Possibly. Reinstall first one, than the other one. If I had to put money on a culprit there, I'd say probably the HP drivers. But random complete freezes really sound like a power issue. It could also be a USB issue though, were you using front or rear-panel ports? Keep us posted.
September 25, 2006 11:36:54 PM

Drivers can cause a problem, but not all that often or the extent you descibed. Beyond that, a driver problem would happen while you are using the given hardware, but you wrote that it locked up afeter a couple hours when you were nowhere near it.

As far as the razor mouse, I haven't heard of any problems with it or its drivers, though that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. HP has had some printer driver problems in the past, but that was mainly when using Windows 98 designed printers with XP operating systems. Haven't heard of them causing problems like you describe, but rather ones where the printer doesn't work properly.

I still think the problem seems more like a power issue than anything else, whether its the power supply or the AC voltage from the wall fluxuating.
September 26, 2006 12:04:11 AM

Yea, I agree, it would be odd for driver conflicts to cause a total system freeze, but it seems strange that the problems only started when you hooked the two devices up. Wait, crap, you moved huh? *scrolls back through messages* Yep, you did. You should check the outlet you have your computer plugged into with a circuit tester. Got a good ground? Hot and common aren't backwards are they? What make/model PSU do you have?
September 26, 2006 12:26:30 PM

i have a tagan 530w Modular PSU

i havnt had a single system crash since i used sytem restor to friday when i know it was working. *touch wood again*

so i dont know what to think, unfortunatly i have no equipment to test any electrical items (im a sports science student we dont need them!)
September 26, 2006 3:10:29 PM

Well, next time you're close to a lowe's or a home depot stop in and pick one up. They're only ~$3, it's just a little box thingy you plug in and it'll light up with different codes to let you know if something is wrong with the wiring. Since you're not having the problem anymore it seems like it was a weird driver/hardware issue. Try reinstalling the mouse and see if crashes come back. It was probably the printer though.
September 26, 2006 4:11:17 PM

Actually i had a similar problem.

MY build :

C2D E6300
COrsair Ram 2gb, 4-4-4-12
X1900XT
DS3 Gigabyte

This is what happens. Whenever i use the comp, i could be doing anything, the comp randomly restarts. IT doesnt' freeze but it restarts. Sumtimes if i play a game, it freezes and then restarts, and sumtimes a blue screen pops up. Now these error messages lead to either Driver Compatability with Video card And/or RAM issues.

However, just recently my motherboard died, so i rma'd it. But i havn't got it back and i'm about to test the ram/ video card on another comp.

So maybe the mother board could be causing the problem?

I mean can the motherboard effect the video card and ram issues that i mentioned earlier?
September 26, 2006 4:23:01 PM

I think it is your PSU. One thing to remember about them. Even if they show the correct voltages it doesn't mean it works correctly under load.
September 26, 2006 4:44:03 PM

Memory, power supply, motherboard. Mostly likely causes.
September 26, 2006 4:59:30 PM

Quote:
Actually i had a similar problem.

MY build :

C2D E6300
COrsair Ram 2gb, 4-4-4-12
X1900XT
DS3 Gigabyte

This is what happens. Whenever i use the comp, i could be doing anything, the comp randomly restarts. IT doesnt' freeze but it restarts. Sumtimes if i play a game, it freezes and then restarts, and sumtimes a blue screen pops up. Now these error messages lead to either Driver Compatability with Video card And/or RAM issues.

However, just recently my motherboard died, so i rma'd it. But i havn't got it back and i'm about to test the ram/ video card on another comp.

So maybe the mother board could be causing the problem?

I mean can the motherboard effect the video card and ram issues that i mentioned earlier?

Yes, the motherboard could definitly cause these problems. A motherboard ties everything together, therefore when multiple problems arise, the motherboard becomes suspect. Go ahead and test the ram and video card in another computer so that you can either eliminate or confirm problems in them. Since you already RMA's the motherboard, I think you're on the right track.

Another possibility, though, is that the psu is failing. If it cuts out on power, crashes can occur. But I think teh motherboard is the main suspect here.
September 26, 2006 5:51:25 PM

1. Update motherboard BIOS
2. Run hardware diagnostic tool
3. Update video/sound driver
4. Update other peripheral drivers
5. Check all software installation for corruption
6. CPU fan
7. Case fan
8. Graphic card fan/heatsink
9. Chipset fan/heatsink
10. Power supply and fan
11. Power cable