Sign in with
Your question

How 4 Gigs Ram is managed on 32-bit OS?

Last response: in Memory
September 25, 2006 12:23:12 PM

I am pretty sure that it was already here but i cannot find now when i need it.

I need a very good describtion of the machine performance with 2 Gigs Ram and more on 32-bit system. And why 4 Gigs boots is activated on 64 bit system and Vista. I am sure you know what I mean.

Thank you

More about : gigs ram managed bit

September 25, 2006 10:06:44 PM

32-bit addressing can only address 2^32 bytes = 4GB of RAM. WinXP reserves some of that possible 4GB of address space for internal system purposes, such as memory-mapped I/O. Typically, about 1GB is reserved, so maximum addressable/usable RAM for WinXP is ~3GB.
September 27, 2006 8:18:40 AM

A little bit too short, but thx anyway.

Can anyone please extend the information for more detailed? How the avaible RAM is limited by the size of the memory on the graphic card? Any comparison how does it work on 64-bit OS?
Related resources
September 28, 2006 7:50:15 AM

Quote:

That author knows half as much as I do as does 80% of the hardware reviewers that exist in this world.

Brian Madden, if he was to ever post in TGForumz would've been a typical forum lamer.

Many of us can see that without you having to state in blond and underlined... that tends to come out as prepotent...

You should seriously consider following the ways of crashman (without the ditching us part lol), unless you have a greater passion for medicine, of course.
September 28, 2006 8:11:26 AM

Quote:
I have talked to Crashman about it.

The first thing he told me to learn is to give yourself up to the PR people, you can not insult any company on the forum(which I do often :lol:  ) and have to be really sweet to them if you want get stuff from them for a review. [/naturally]

The 2nd thing is I live in NZ, they're not going to send parts internationally to my house then sending them back after reviewing.

The 3rd thing is my daily schedule is now is fully packed beyond anyone's imagination. Thank goodness I got myself a PDA during the summer break for this year.
I have already cutted down my time spent on TForumz compare to last year and I'm going to have to cut it down even further.

So nope, my knowledge will not go into reviews unfortunately.

k so heres the plan. Get a dumb but sweet american to marry you, move to the US and ditch medicine, review stuff for tomshardware (just out of loyalty), and you can get that same american to write sweet letters to companies for you.
Sounds like a plan doesnt it??
September 28, 2006 8:46:02 AM

There is a HP workstation at work with 4 x 1 GB DDR2 memory in it (i.e. 4 GB). On "My Computer", Properties it shows it has 3.5 GB of memory, so its cannot see 512 M of the 4 G. The OS is Win XP Pro 32 bit. This is as described by the first reply to this topic.

Just for comparison the laptop I'm using has 1G DDR2, and it shows up as "0.99 GB of RAM".

Robert Murphy
!