Sign in with
Your question

Help!! Sound/video editing recommendations - money no object

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2006 1:24:23 PM

I recently inherited some money and I'm looking to build an ultra sick video and sound editing PC.

It will need to run cubase, pro tools, reason and video editing stuff.

It needs to be a dream PC so I want the fastest and best stuff available.

Water cooling - dual core and a stupid amount of space across at least 2 hard drives. Essential for video and sound files which in their raw state take up a lot of space.....

Just recommend me the best of the best!!!

Cheers.
September 25, 2006 2:27:30 PM

Seriously if you intend on doing mostly Sound/Video and money is not an issue, i say get yourself a Mac Pro Wtih 2 Dual core Woodcrests @ 3ghz (4 cores total) with 16GB of Ram and a 30" Apple Cinema display, get 2 TB of hdd space, and your good to go...that's if 14 000$ USD doesn't scare you off, then you'll have one of the fastest video/sound computers available at the moment. Also if 30" display isn't enough add another one to the deal :wink:

See link here.

If you need to have a PC, well there about 100 people here that will gladly help you out with that and will run you about 10K with a 30" display.
September 25, 2006 4:22:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously if you intend on doing mostly Sound/Video and money is not an issue, i say get yourself a Mac Pro Wtih 2 Dual core Woodcrests @ 3ghz (4 cores total) with 16GB of Ram and a 30" Apple Cinema display, get 2 TB of hdd space, and your good to go...that's if 14 000$ USD doesn't scare you off, then you'll have one of the fastest video/sound computers available at the moment. Also if 30" display isn't enough add another one to the deal :wink:

See link here.

If you need to have a PC, well there about 100 people here that will gladly help you out with that and will run you about 10K with a 30" display.

I agree.

But if you want a PC, go for Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 terabyte HDD, and a ATI FireGL for some 250$ aproxx. you can get for some reasonal price. Eventually put in a terabyte HDD more..
Related resources
October 2, 2006 12:24:42 PM

I'm not fussed whether it's PC or mac - just as long as it's sick!

Just out of interest why would I choose mac over pc?

Can you let me know some specific information about the components in the mac you're on about?

Would I need any special mobo's or anything to house 16gb of ram?

Any idea what the best config of drives would be?

I'm thinking 10,000 rpm drives of 500gb capacity...
October 2, 2006 8:23:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not fussed whether it's PC or mac - just as long as it's sick!

Just out of interest why would I choose mac over pc?

It's the dogs b*******, plus it's what the industry use
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2006 8:40:26 PM

Quote:
ultra sick video and sound editing
For what you want its a good idea to figure out what software you want to use first. You may want to think about upgrading the software first and then shop for hardware.

Then you probably want to go hang out in the forums of the sound and video software you want to use and see what the experts there use for hardware. If there are MAC versions of the software Im betting many of them use MACs. If there is no MAC software.... well.. these days... MACs run WinXP!
Just try and find a PC that will run OS10!
October 2, 2006 9:05:53 PM

Quote:

See link here.

I agree.

But if you want a PC, go for Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 terabyte HDD, and a ATI FireGL for some 250$ aproxx. you can get for some reasonal price. Eventually put in a terabyte HDD more..
no a amd 4x4 system will give you a lot more power and ram bandwith then a intel sytems and get a HARDWARE RAID CARD
October 4, 2006 5:06:13 PM

If you're going to do sound and video editing and money is no object, go find out what the pro's use and buy some of that. You should be looking at the hardware demands of the software, sound and video formats you will be using, will you be shooting and editing Hi-Def video/audio?

There are several companies that sell "turnkey" (ready to run) editing systems that will handle the lesser programs you want to run, Matrox and Canopus are two companies that do this, I'm sure there are more.

Robert Rodrigez is the independent writer/producer that produced "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"(shot in hi-def), the bonus features on the DVD show the setup he built in his 3-car garage, I don't recall seeing a Mac there though.

(flame on Mac-daddies)
October 4, 2006 5:10:57 PM

Quote:

See link here.

I agree.

no a amd 4x4 system will give you a lot more power and ram bandwith then a intel sytems and get a HARDWARE RAID CARD

Thats all nice and everything. But Professional softare like Logic does not run on non-Apple hardware. Pro Tools does not either.

For Sound/Video Macintosh is the best option. For video, Final Cut Pro has nothing close on the PC side either.
October 4, 2006 5:24:40 PM

Quote:

See link here.

I agree.

Thats all nice and everything. But Professional softare like Logic does not run on non-Apple hardware. Pro Tools does not either.

For Sound/Video Macintosh is the best option. For video, Final Cut Pro has nothing close on the PC side either.

Word
October 4, 2006 5:29:09 PM

Quote:

Robert Rodrigez is the independent writer/producer that produced "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"(shot in hi-def), the bonus features on the DVD show the setup he built in his 3-car garage, I don't recall seeing a Mac there though.

(flame on Mac-daddies)

Is this enough for you smart as*?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/3945...
October 4, 2006 5:48:06 PM

Dude, that article is two years old.
October 4, 2006 5:55:39 PM

You guys and your toys... If you want serious power start looking at IBMs higher offerings or just go on over to SGI here: http://www.sgi.com/

Seriously though, if money was no object the last place I would go would be HERE! I would go to a recording studio on the East or West Coast's and get some serious advice.
October 4, 2006 6:51:01 PM

Quote:

Oh serious? And from what year do you think "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is? That one Blunc gave as an example?

:) 
October 4, 2006 7:55:44 PM

Quote:

Oh serious? And from what year do you think "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is? That one Blunc gave as an example?
So you're both quoting outdated material. Then it's all right I guess. :roll:
October 4, 2006 8:11:01 PM

That "outdated" material keeps up with a lot of actual top of the line PCs.

Why did you quote that movie? Just to fuc* with "macdaddys", is that how you call us mac users? That made no sense.

Fuc*k off and don´t say a word about you don´t know
October 5, 2006 2:56:02 PM

wow, these mac users are sensitive... :roll:

If you care to review my post, it said "I don't recall seeing...", since you were able to prove they used macs, I stand soundly corrected. I bow to your superior knowledge in that respect, I have been thoroughly flamed, I am now slightly cajun, I now have to go wash the stench of flamage off my person... 8)

That being said, I'm not buying into the hype that final cut pro has no competition from the PC side, and I don't feel like going out and buying a seemingly overpriced (IMHO) and proprietary computer to edit video on when I could invest more money in getting better camera equipment instead.
October 5, 2006 3:56:40 PM

Overpriced?? It seems that you live in the past...I don´t blame you for that, but you need to search for prices again my friend...
October 5, 2006 4:22:20 PM

First of all, I didn't quote that movie, geniusboy.

Second, they don't make those G5 Macs anymore. They don't even use the same processors.

Third, learn to speak English before you tell somebody to shut up.
October 5, 2006 4:49:08 PM

Now play nice please, no need to have more flamage. Over reactions, foul language, bad grammar and personal attacks really are not needed.

Otherwise I would have had to bring up PMR's questionable lineage (JK) for swearing at me.

There's a reason that the mac sections of the retail outlets I have access to now have small or nonexistant mac merchandise, most stores can't afford to keep stuff on their shelves that doesn't sell. I'm not disputing that macs are easy to use nor that they have good (and bad) software but in the time I have used macs they were as prone to viri and hardware problems as the intel clones. So, from my point of view, macs were/are overpriced for a long time, especially for anyone that doesn't have the money or business need to switch their hardware to mac format.
!