husker92

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
My sister-in-law got a virus on her laptop (win95). So I reformatted the hard drive and loaded win98se.

I re-loaded the modem PCMCIA modem card driver. I added a dial-up connection with my current ISP. It will dial the number, verify name and password and seem to connect just fine. When I try to open IE, every web site I go to is not found!!!

I then tried using the SBC-Yahoo disc to load the software and when it gets to dialing their number to find access numbers, it connects but then states it cannot link with the network.

I tried AOL's disk as well and got the network link error when it tried to get access numbers.

Is there some setting somewhere that enables a connection to an ISP network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
the first problem seems to be related to dns resolution problems. enter "nslookup" and make sure you have a dns server set. Ping it just to make sure it is working. Also, try to access a website by ip address, if it can connect that way, you have a problem with dns. If you have a valid server listed as your primary dns server, the problem must be on the server side. It hink there are some public dns servers out there but do not know the ips of any of them off the top of my head. Try searching on google.

husker92

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Thanks Cloaked.

I tried going directly to a few IP addresses with no luck. I am thinking it might be a modem issue.

I had to switch the cd-rom because it did not work correctly with WIN98, maybe the modem has the same problem.

Thanks again for the advice.