How to setup an HP4550N with net connection?

Hi all,

I have happily come across a used HP4550N in good shape. I would like to
directly connect it to a switch and share it among 3 computers off a lan.
Since I do not have any of the manuals or cd's that came with it, my problem
is how to get it setup and running. Has anyone out there ever done this
before? How do I set up the printer so it shows up in the printer list
under Windows? I am off to hp's website to look for a driver but after that
I am a little clueless since it is hooked directly to the network and not to
any one particular computer.

thanks for any help or pointers,
charles.....
2 answers Last reply
More about setup hp4550n connection

    Charles, you should be able to download a manual in PDF format from
    HP's website http://www.hp.com. I'd do a cold reboot to reset it to
    factory defaults. Plug in in and turn it on, then print a test page.
    You should have an IP address somewhere on that test page. Once you've
    got that you should be able to get configuration screen in Internet
    Explorer why just using the IP address in the address line. From
    there, I'd set IP Configuration method to manual to keep it from
    changing. Make a note of that IP address.

    At each computer, with the proper driver in hand, add a local printer
    selecting "Create a new port", select "Standard TCP/IP", and input the
    IP address of the printer. That should get you going.

    In article <vgqXe.169$0m6.83@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "*****
    charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com> wrote:

    > I have happily come across a used HP4550N in good shape. I would like to
    > directly connect it to a switch and share it among 3 computers off a lan.
    > Since I do not have any of the manuals or cd's that came with it, my problem
    > is how to get it setup and running. Has anyone out there ever done this
    > before? How do I set up the printer so it shows up in the printer list
    > under Windows? I am off to hp's website to look for a driver but after that
    > I am a little clueless since it is hooked directly to the network and not to
    > any one particular computer.

    Charles-

    You should find all the documentation you need at the HP web site. To the
    best of my knowledge, the HP 4550N is configured using a web browser. (If
    AppleTalk is enabled, it can also be configured from a Macintosh in
    Classic Mode, running the HP LaserJet Utility.)

    You should be able to find its current configuration by printing out a
    Configuration Page from the Information Menu accessed by the control
    panel.

    How do your computers get their IP addresses assigned? If by DHCP, the
    printer might happen to use that as well, and all you have to do is direct
    your computers towards its IP address.

    If the configuration page shows an IP address outside the range of your
    current computers, you may need to temporarily change the IP address of
    one of the computers to one in the same range as the printer. You would
    enter the printer's IP address in the URL window of your browser, as
    http://123.234.123.11/ or whatever it happens to be.

    In the event you find the printer locked by a password, you should be able
    to reset it to factory defaults by holding down one of the buttons
    (Pause/Resume?) while turning on the power.

    Fred

Printers Connection Peripherals