Sign in with
Your question

'Multi-core Processing for Dummies' - AMD jokes with Intel

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2006 6:18:50 PM

I searched the Forum and was surprised to not find a topic about this.

For those of you who haven't seen, AMD has sent this little booklet, entitled 'Multi-core Processing for Dummies' to all the journalists attending IDF.

So AMD won't be attending IDF to announce anything new. That's hardly a surprise, as they, err....don't really have anything new. But trying to upstage Intel (or whatever they were trying to achieve with this 'joke') - what are they thinking? Do they really believe that this little booklet will make people buy their CPUs?

AMD enters the schoolyard. Really, really poor show. Opinions?
September 25, 2006 6:26:16 PM

Just looking at the last couple years, I think it's safe to say that AMD knows a lot more about gaining market share than you do.
September 25, 2006 6:31:05 PM

Quote:
Just looking at the last couple years, I think it's safe to say that AMD knows a lot more about gaining market share than you do.

Wow, just the sort of intelligent reply I was looking for, great.
Related resources
September 25, 2006 6:46:31 PM

I thought it was hilarious. Whatever you think about AMD's processors, you have to admit they have a sense of humour. I love these little tounge in cheek jokes - although I doubt anything will ever surpass their ten reasons why Intel won't compete in a dual core duel document :) 

Speaking of which, probably just as well that AMD's challenge isn't still open at the moment isn't it?
September 25, 2006 6:46:52 PM

Not exactly what I would expect from AMD, they seemed more professional than that but with all the stories about paid drones on different tech forums and the lack of any shown (hint: actual product) progress from AMD I wouldn't put it pass them.
Now with this, I'm quite sure no fanboy can talk about AMD's moral authority anymore. Then again it is business.
a c 143 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
September 25, 2006 7:23:18 PM

Quote:

Wow, just the sort of intelligent reply I was looking for, great.

Well, I think this could have been put a little more nicely. One of the best management courses I took at GA Tech was taught by a guy who did not tolerate any commentary on what someone "should have" done. That's armchair quarterbacking, he would say, and pointless. It is only useful to examine why someone did a certain thing.

In this context, I would suggest that AMD had its reasons, which may or may not be clearly visible from our perspective. What might they have been?
September 25, 2006 7:29:03 PM

Quote:
In this context, I would suggest that AMD had its reasons, which may or may not be clearly visible from our perspective. What might they have been?

From our perspective, as far as I can tell, is that AMD is trying to make some news (which they did, incidentally) - why else would they send it to journalists, right?

Whether they thought that this would distract away from the fact that they aren't going to be dropping any bombshells (or even pebbles) while Intel have their big party this year is one take on it. Anyone have any others? I still think it's playground/trashtalk style business and not exactly mature.

Oh, and I'm English, I have no idea what a Quarterback is (part of the reason I played Madden '07 for 10 minutes before putting it in it's case and never playing it again).
September 25, 2006 7:33:52 PM

We aren't discussing AMD's business strategy or what they have planned for the next Q (God knows thats been done too much already)
We are talking about the way they're marketing themselves.
Quit pontificating. It's all opinions here. Well thought out ones are appreciated.
September 25, 2006 8:08:54 PM

Sick Ninja Dude :D 

I whole heartedly agree with your comment "Quit pontificating. It's all opinions here." In that vein, I offer: humor is a great asset, off-setting argumentive stances and occasionally enlightening that which is under consideration and discussion. I applaud AMD's IDF booklet release :lol: 
September 25, 2006 8:29:24 PM

No problems from me here. Self righteous indignation only works with trolls.
September 25, 2006 8:58:05 PM

I'd like to see that, especally because Intel has better processors than them, straight up. This goes along with their viral marketing approach, it would seem. New low for AMD.
September 25, 2006 9:08:03 PM

Quote:
i like a bit of humour. if you can't have a laugh about something what can you do.

as long as it is all in jest there is nothing wrong with it. of course considering intel seems to take a while making actual multicores and not multi siongle cores perhaps they do need some teaching.

Even though multi-single core and native multicore makes no difference in performance . . .
September 25, 2006 9:19:21 PM

I find it funny, but I doubt that anyone is really taking it seriously; I don't believe this constitutes as "viral marketing".
September 25, 2006 9:36:20 PM

Quote:
I find it funny, but I doubt that anyone is really taking it seriously; I don't believe this constitutes as "viral marketing".

Well it's viral, in that it's spreading, but it's about as irritating as an 'actual' virus (computer or otherwise), but I don't think it's actually counting as 'marketing' as such - this thread shows that of the people who saw this thread the majority think it's just petty.
September 25, 2006 11:57:09 PM

Quote:
I searched the Forum and was surprised to not find a topic about this.

For those of you who haven't seen, AMD has sent this little booklet, entitled 'Multi-core Processing for Dummies' to all the journalists attending IDF.

So AMD won't be attending IDF to announce anything new. That's hardly a surprise, as they, err....don't really have anything new. But trying to upstage Intel (or whatever they were trying to achieve with this 'joke') - what are they thinking? Do they really believe that this little booklet will make people buy their CPUs?

AMD enters the schoolyard. Really, really poor show. Opinions?

I personally think its pretty lame, but it's big business pretty well anything goes.
September 26, 2006 12:47:38 AM

I find it pretty tasteless as well. If you want to rain on a company's parade, then you just open one up next to them. At least that way you maintain some sense of professionalism.

Gotta wonder if that was agreed to by top AMD management though...
Plus Intel could send AMD lots of those dummy books if they wanted.

I find it somewhat ironic that AMD's stuck with its 'true dual/quad core' approach now while Intel's approach makes more business sense from a yields point of view... But all's fair in love and war or something.
September 26, 2006 1:16:01 AM

Quote:

The more I think about this the more distasteful it becomes, today I have dropped a notch of respect for AMD. Add to this their viral marketing ploy (whether endorsed or not, they apparently hired a 3rd rate company -- birds of a feather). Next, throw in those ridiculous 'power' slides where they claim power superiority over woodcrest where the data shows overwhelming they lag.

They are beginning to stink in my opinion.

Jack

Yeah, I've seen the top brass in action, and I agree with you. Whereas Intel seems alot more professional and won't go smash them outrightly in the press. But ya never know.
I could only think that AMD can get away with it from being the underdog, etc. Whereas if Intel started, I can see the AMD camp start crying monopoly, anti-trust, slander, boohoo, etc.

This book act makes me think of the "sore loser" mentality.

What do you mean by their "viral marketing ploy"? Did I miss something in the news?
September 26, 2006 2:04:47 AM

Quote:

The more I think about this the more distasteful it becomes, today I have dropped a notch of respect for AMD. Add to this their viral marketing ploy (whether endorsed or not, they apparently hired a 3rd rate company -- birds of a feather). Next, throw in those ridiculous 'power' slides where they claim power superiority over woodcrest where the data shows overwhelming they lag.

They are beginning to stink in my opinion.

Jack

Yeah, I've seen the top brass in action, and I agree with you. Whereas Intel seems alot more professional and won't go smash them outrightly in the press. But ya never know.
I could only think that AMD can get away with it from being the underdog, etc. Whereas if Intel started, I can see the AMD camp start crying monopoly, anti-trust, slander, boohoo, etc.

This book act makes me think of the "sore loser" mentality.

What do you mean by their "viral marketing ploy"? Did I miss something in the news?

boy you missed a lot. they've been spamming these and various other forums. i believe the thread about it is at the top of page 2 of CPU threads here.
September 26, 2006 2:50:36 AM

Ohhhh :oops: 

I just didn't know that's the term for it... viral marketing. I haven't been around since Wednesday last week... Blah. Boo on spam!
I think spammers should be forced to read out loud every spam they send, and however long it takes is how long their jail sentence should be.
September 26, 2006 8:19:01 AM

It's not 'real' Viral marketing. I don't know if you have a band called Arctic Monkeys yet in the States or wherever else you all hail from, but if you Google/Wiki them, you'll get the deal.

Essentially they used the internet as their marketing tool, giving away free tracks, getting people to sign up to their e-mail list, making a bit of a deal about people spreading 'word-of-mouth' reccommendations. They basically built up a load of hype without a flash marketing campaign and more to the point without a record label. To cut a long story short, they already had a massive fanbase and peripheral niceties normally related to a famous rock band before even being signed, and when they did sign to a record label they sold over 350,000 copies of their debut album in it's first week (a British record).

The reason I'm saying this (I actually happen to think that they're crap) is because I want to draw a comparison between 'real' viral marketing and this synthetic stuff AMD is trying to pull.

I don't really think you can do this type of marketting with technology. With music, it's a matter of opinion, and as that opinion spreads, so does the band's popularity. But no matter how many people respond to BMesque threads about the latest AMD news, it doesn't make AMD's chips any better. Technology is almost completely linear, and letting opinions get in the way of cold hard fact is pretty retarded.
September 26, 2006 8:40:42 AM

It reminds me a little bit of when Bill Gates admitted to watching copyrighted content on YouTube.

What's happening is, in it's most practical sense, theivery. Yet because Bill Gates owns the company who's OS 95% of the world's computers run and AMD enjoys it's position as the rogue chip maker and thorn in the side of The Man (Intel), they seem to think that they are above the law in a sense.
September 26, 2006 9:11:32 AM

I don't know what significance this plays on the whole situation, but it seems that the Inquirer has no reports of this little AMD prank.

Of course the Inq is a British website and as such is perhaps not considered likely to be attending IDF (of course you could read really far into it and say that this shows AMD so far in debt they can't afford Airmail, but that would be stupid).

I would at least have thought they would have the headline 'AMD PWNS INTEL WITH BOOK ROFL' and a story in which 'loads of sources' tell them all about the inside story of the situation.

Anyone care to give a different slant on the Inq's lack of potentially Intel-busting news?
September 26, 2006 10:08:23 AM

companies are always having small digs at each other.

Its actually quite funny and those of you who have become really uptight about this should really lighten up.

Intel have been the centre of mickey taking for years mainly because of its dominant position in the market. Look at Microsoft as another example. All manner of jokes, whyms and stories are written at MS expense but no one batters an eyelid. It comes with the territory.

So sit back, have a chuckle and be happy thats its not all cutthroat business.
September 26, 2006 10:52:46 AM

Sometimes doing something harmless but 'different' marketing-wise in what is essentially a fairly straight-laced industry (compared to, say, sportswear) is an interesting approach. I don't think that 'maturity' is the issue here.

After all, I'd have thought that the Intel guys would've had a few laughs with that. Rivalries aside, Intel know that C2D is the superior architecture and AMD know that C2D is the superior architecture.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what AMD did. Despite what people seem to think, the two companies must have a fairly good working relationship with each other - there are still cross-licensing agreements for technology such as SSE, and despite recent performances it is still a 'david and goliath' situation with AMD vs Chipzilla.

Intel have had to step up their game, sure, but wouldn't the industry be pretty stale if AMD weren't around? Intel must know that. Once you have all the money you could want/need, I'd have thought it would be innovation and the idea of advancing technology that keeps you satisfied in this industry. This is not to say that they aren't striving their hardest for market share and profits - it just means that there is more to running a company than making $$$.

I'd consider this more a joke with an old rival than a schoolboy prank. After all, there are several important ex-AMD employees working for Intel now.

Still, make of it what you will.
September 27, 2006 3:16:40 PM

So that's what he said in the keynote at IDF? I'd see this as more of a reply to the 'for Dummies' thing.
September 27, 2006 6:43:02 PM

Maybe so, the point is, they're both capable of joking about each other. People shouldn't take it too seriously and just accept it for what it is.
September 27, 2006 7:25:17 PM

Well jokes are just it. It's funny though since AMD can't show much at that time, then why the hell not. At least they are being notice. AMD may not have anything new but remember eventhough they don't have a big market share compare to Intel, still they have produce a very good product and reign for about 3 years straight. So Intel is going for a comeback and they got some big guns now to do so. Oh , well I don't really care which one will go on top. Competition between companies are good for the consumers.

disclaimer: I'm not a fanboi nor want to start another gay flaming fight.
September 27, 2006 8:38:05 PM

Opinions...jokes...slander...bah. My E6400 absolutely SPANKS my friend's Athlon 64 x2 4200 in Super PI times. AMD has no room to talk smack until they can show me one of their home cpu's beat mine. End of story.

And don't say "well after 3-4 years of AMD beating Intel its about TIME Intel comes out with something better." AMD should've kept on pressing new technology instead of getting comfortable on their high horse. A perfect example of how the tortoise beat the rabbit. Now Intel has got big plans and they're rolling out damn quick if you ask me (within 2 years) while AMD says "Yeah! Well...well...we're gonna have THIS! Yeah, what now?"

Ok sorry I had to get that out. I'm not a fanboi on either side, just making observations. If AMD were really wise they would've had a wafer of a new proc. that beats Intel's and sent it to IDF. THAT would've been a lot better than a dumb pamphlet.
September 27, 2006 9:20:20 PM

Quote:
And don't say "well after 3-4 years of AMD beating Intel its about TIME Intel comes out with something better." AMD should've kept on pressing new technology instead of getting comfortable on their high horse.

To quote an awesome show "this has all happened before and will happen again."

I've already heard most of this bs after ATI launched the 9700pro (and nVidia launched the dustbuster) then lost the performance lead to the 6800. so what. AMD will take it back again at some point, and then Intel will take it back again.

AMD has done WONDERS for this market. Users have real choices, and most of it is very cheap/high value now.

I am an AMD fanboy to the end, but hey the conroe is fairly cheap, and I want to send a (small) message to AMD to keep up with Intel, maybe I will upgrade to Intel.

Or maybe I'll wait 2 years for AMD to win again and build a new system again.
!