Sony VAIO VGN-FS550

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I have a small home network with five computers connected to it; three hardwired desktops and two wireless notebooks. The network is using a Linksys wirless-G cable gateway (WCG200). I am having an issue getting the Sony to work all the way. It can connect to the router and access the internet, but it cannot see the other computers on my network. I know it is not a router issue because the other notebook connects vis wireless to the hardwired computers without a problem. The reason I am trying to make this work is because one of the wired computers has a shared printer attached to it as well as shared files that would be nice to access from the Sony laptop. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
That was the first thing I did when the VAIO was first set up, so unfortunately its nothing quite so simple. I also just noticed that other computers on the network can see and access the VAIO's files, but the VAIO cannot see anything. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
All are using XP Home or Pro...still no luck solving this thing so any ideas you have would be much appreciated! Thanks.

riser

Illustrious
Can you ping other addresses on your network - other computers?

If you can ping them, then you have a problem with either the Windows Firewall or fire & printer sharing.. as long as they're all on the same workgroup you should be have access to them if the firewalls are disabled and file/printer is enabled.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
pinging works, windows firewall is off, the VAIO is running Norton Internet Security 2005, which does not seem to matter because even when disabled the file/printer sharing does not work. This problem is beginning to get annoying...hopefully we can figure it out