Intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz
Intergrated Graphics card
512 Ram but reduced to 448 cause intergrated graphics uses 64 mb
256KB L2 cache
AGP slot

P.S. I only use my computer for games

More about : question

September 25, 2006 9:22:23 PM

If you really have to upgrade, I suggest a used 9800Pro or 9800XT and add more memory.
September 25, 2006 9:39:43 PM

His PC looks like a Dell with Intel Graphics. Chances are he cannot add more RAM as this PC only as 2 RAM slots. To get a Gig of RAM he will need to throw away his 256x2 and get 512x2. Beyond his budget if he replaces the video card as well.

Tough luck, brother. It does not look like you will have much luck upgrading this thing for $200.

Also keep in mind that if you replace your motherboard it is almost guaranteed that you will have to format your hard drive and reinstall Windows and all of your software - a major pain in the neck if you ask me.

So the best you can do is change your video card. Just make sure that it will fit in your case. If your PC is not a tower but rather a slim desktop you will have much difficulty finding a quality card that can fit in it.

Finally, check your power supply. If I am right and it IS a Dell (or some other brand name PC) your power supply is likely to be a 200 or 250W one. It will most likely be inadequate to power the cards prozac26 suggested above. My girlfriend had problems with her Dell Dimension 4400 and Radeon 9800 Pro. Once I replaced the original power supply with a 350W one stability seems good and artifacting seems to have disappeared.
Related resources
September 26, 2006 2:01:11 AM

my friend you are slightly better off then me, i have a pentium 3. my advise is start saving your pennies like i am and get something at xmas. if that is not possible then i agree get a radeon 9800, your cpu is a massive bottleneck not to mention the ram.
September 26, 2006 5:50:54 AM

I might be getting a 6600 GT but i am not sure that it will run with my psu

how do i find out what my psu power is?

p.s. my computer is not a Dell its a Packard Bell but it does use intel graphics
September 26, 2006 6:51:18 AM

Quote:
If you really have to upgrade, I suggest a used 9800Pro or 9800XT and add more memory.

I like the above suggestion. More RAM always helps. Used also helps too.
September 26, 2006 9:30:13 AM

Quote:
how do i find out what my psu power is?

You need to open the PC and most likely you need to take out the power supply unless the label is visible once you open the PC case. There could be one or two power ratings listed on the label. If there is only one then you have to go with that. If there are two they will look something like this:

- Maximum (or Peak) output
- Sustained (or Continuous) output

What you are interested in is Sustained (or Continuous).
a c 195 U Graphics card
September 26, 2006 9:40:29 PM

Slackard Hell, eh? I remember in the old days those things had very small and proprietary PSUs that couldn't take much in the way of upgrades. See what you've got, as your wattage budget may be worse than your dollar budget.
A 6600 will not need an additional power connector, and will be a lot better than the integrated slop you have. I just saw one referenced in another topic (Leadtek, I think) that was $50 at newegg. Make sure the integrated card can be disabled, and note that it still may eat RAM even when not functioning.
You're at the bare minimum on RAM as it is, so an upgrade there, if possible, will really help.
September 26, 2006 9:53:16 PM

well i dont know if i could add a 1gig chip of ram and my pc used to only have one 256mb chip but i added another 256mb.
Im in NewZealand so the prices of the cards are way higher.

About my psu i had a look but i couldnt find out what it was because of the fan
and i dont want to touch much because i am not a coputer technician and i dont want to stuff up my PC.
September 26, 2006 9:56:36 PM

I could not find it because the fan has a big air thing and i dont want to take it off is there any other way to find out what my psu is?
September 26, 2006 10:01:40 PM

The manufacturer's web site may have specifications for your machine. Do NOT use the model name. There should be a tag with info like Service Tag Number or Manufacturer's Part Number or something like that which identifies your specific machine. If you are lucky you will find out what's in it exactly.
September 26, 2006 10:05:07 PM

ok ill look
And do you recomend any cards?

oh and can you find the thing i should be looking for on the webpage
http://packardbell.com
it isnt a very helpful site
September 26, 2006 10:09:47 PM

I think prozac26 is on the right track here.

eBay is a good place to start looking for deals. You should be able to pick up both 1GB of RAM and a 9800Pro for about $200 total. It may not be high-end RAM, most likely value type RAM, but 1GB is definately better than 512MB. You could turn around and sell you 512MB on eBay to make up some of the cost.

I would also browse the internet for guides on how to streamline Windows XP. I personally like http://www.tweakguides.com

These guides will help you optimize XP and also help you identify what you need and don't need to be running. If you haven't done so, backup your important files to a CD or DVD, re-format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP. Then follow the Tweakguides on optimizing XP.
September 26, 2006 10:29:58 PM

Quote:
ok ill look
And do you recomend any cards?

oh and can you find the thing i should be looking for on the webpage
http://packardbell.com
it isnt a very helpful site

Oh, man... don't you have any wit? Go to the Support section. Then select your country. Then enter your PC's serial number. Why do you need to ask this instead of spending a few minutes at the site and figuring it out?
September 26, 2006 10:34:39 PM

I Went there i put in my serial key and it want found i tried finding my country but it isnt there and i tried finding the modle but it dosent exist either ill tell you what it is Its a iMedia M217
September 26, 2006 10:42:30 PM

God, MAN! I told you in one of my previous posts that you SHOULD NOT use your PC's model to identify it and the web site is asking specifically for the Serial Number. There is even a link to help you find it. If your country is not listed, pick a neighboring country. If your PC was bought in another country (which seems to be the case) choose that country. If none of this applies to your situation then I am afraid I cannot help you any further. you will have to get to your power supply inside your case and read the label.
September 26, 2006 10:47:32 PM

sorry for being annoying but should i tell you my serial number ?

i bought it in New Zealand and the closest country in aussie but they dont have that either so i went to UK .
September 26, 2006 11:59:04 PM

just looked at your PC's specs... it's not wonderful indeed...

about your video card, almost any recent AGP card will certainly do better. what about 7600GS ? it doesn't seem to consume too much power (less than a 6600GT, at least), and is not too expensive.what do you guys think of it ? or maybe something a bit lower, but I don't know about those models.

anyway, even a $10 Ti4200 at ebay might do better than your integrated SiS

about ram, your PC used to have only one 256MB module... so I suppose there's no dual channel support on it (they wouldn't put only one module on a dual channel mobo, would they ?). if there is no dual channel, you could at least buy one 512MB module, and replace one of the 256MB... you'd have 768MB,and if you can add a video card, it will free the shared 64MB.
September 27, 2006 1:11:20 AM

Quote:
sorry for being annoying but should i tell you my serial number ?

i bought it in New Zealand and the closest country in aussie but they dont have that either so i went to UK .

Follow THIS link and contact PackardBell New Zealand technical support.

P.S. Sprry I became irritated earlier. Hard day. And I must agree: PackardBell web sites blow. Big time. Support and options do suck. I am sorry, man. Never buy from them again.
September 28, 2006 6:45:33 AM

Na its all good

Yea i dont think i will buy a packard bell again, i only bought it cause i needed a new monitor and mouse and keyboard and next time i think i will just get one built
!