pecansandies

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I am doing a budget type build and I thought I could save some money by buying xp home rather then pro. What is the difference between the two?

Killercop

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Not very much in fact. Though I will recommend you to buy Professional if you run a store or something. But for gaming or normal PC use, Windows XP Home will do very fine.

Gunlance

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I would say get pro. For some reason it just seems to run faster. Even if you never do any of the networking stuff, its good to know tis there if you ever do decide to learn more about it. I also despise with my life's force how home does not support all of the remote desktop features.

swint144

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
XP Pro comes with Internet Information Services (IIS), which is needed if you plan to do any web hosting. Some software vendors depend on IIS and other Pro components, though I've run into this mostly with professional mechanical and PCB CAD packages. Pro also gives you *much* more control over sharing and security of files and folders, though you do have to work at it a little bit.

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
See www.annoyances.org for lots of useful information.

To answer your specific question here is a copy of the FAQ re XP home vs Pro from there

What's the difference between Windows XP Home and Professional editions?

Intended For
Windows XP only
The Home and Professional editions of Windows XP are nearly identical; the only differences are additional features found in the Professional edition that most likely won't appeal to home users. The primary differences, aside from the price and the color of the packaging, are as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition

* Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
* Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
* The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

* Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
* Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
* The backup utlity is installed by default.
* The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
o Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
o Automated System Recovery (ASR)
o Boot Configuration Manager
o DriverQuery
o Group Policy Refresh Utility
o Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
o NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
o Offline Files and Folders
o OpenFiles
o Performance Log Manager
o Remote Desktop
o Scheduled Tasks Console
o Security Template Utility
o Taskkill
o Tasklist
o Telnet Administrator
* Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.

These components and concepts are fully documented in Windows XP in a Nutshell, the book.

IMO, most critical advantages of the Pro version are, in order:

1) support for NT Domains - especially if you are using a notebook system for work - most workplaces use some flavour of DNS and the home version will NOT connect to these networks. Better support for peer to peer is also good.

2) the additional admin features are a good thing to have for both maintenace and trouble-shooting purposes.

3) despite the fact that MS has an extremely poor record re security, any improvements / additional capabilities in this area that the OS provides are no longer a "luxury", given to-day's security environment. They are as obligatory as oxygen is to life.

My recommendation is to get the Pro version.

If you go with the Home version, you can buy the upgrade to Pro on a seperate CD from MS, but you will not save any money and the installation prcess will be that much more cumbersome.

Hope this helps.