canon prism(?) on ip4000 & compatible cartridge

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 19, 2005 7:02:48 AM

Hi ...
just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
.... in my ip4000...
but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
printer on/off and rebooting pc)...

Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...

Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
.... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?

Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
visual inspection with the canon?

thanks
AJ
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:58:28 PM

nospammer999@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi ...
> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
> ... in my ip4000...
> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>
> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>
> Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
> anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
> printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
> ... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
> cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>
> Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
> IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
> visual inspection with the canon?
>
> thanks
> AJ

Never encountered a "prism-less" Canon-type cartridge, and I've seen and
tried many, many brands - even bought blank (new empty) cartridges with
prisms. If that indeed is the case for you, move on, there's lots of
other choices.

-Taliesyn
September 19, 2005 6:54:56 PM

If you replaced the cart before you got the low ink warning, the monitor
doesn't "reset" to full. That is the case with all the canon printers up to
the newest series that is just hitting the market. The "i" series and "ip"
series, as well as models before them, do not have a monitor that actually
tracks the ink level in each cart continuously. When the prism is exposed
in the reservoir area you get the low ink warning, and after a few more
prints you get the empty signal. At that point, when you put in another
cart, the printer resets to full. Since I refill my carts before the
reservoir is empty, the monitor never resets and my monitor shows low ink in
all carts, full or not.

<nospammer999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ...
> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
> ... in my ip4000...
> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>
> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>
> Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
> anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
> printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
> ... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
> cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>
> Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
> IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
> visual inspection with the canon?
>
> thanks
> AJ

September 20, 2005 2:04:09 AM

Burt wrote:

>If you replaced the cart before you got the low ink warning, the monitor
>doesn't "reset" to full. That is the case with all the canon printers up to
>the newest series that is just hitting the market. The "i" series and "ip"
>series, as well as models before them, do not have a monitor that actually
>tracks the ink level in each cart continuously. When the prism is exposed
>in the reservoir area you get the low ink warning, and after a few more
>prints you get the empty signal. At that point, when you put in another
>cart, the printer resets to full. Since I refill my carts

THATS YOUR PROBLEM

>before the
>reservoir is empty, the monitor never resets and my monitor shows low ink in
>all carts, full or not.
>
><nospammer999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi ...
>>just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
>>... in my ip4000...
>>but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
>>printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>>
>>Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
>>because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
>>and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>>
>>Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
>>anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
>>printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
>>... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
>>cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>>
>>Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
>>IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
>>visual inspection with the canon?
>>
>>thanks
>>AJ

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:05:15 AM

<nospammer999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ...
> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
> ... in my ip4000...
> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>
> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>
> Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
> anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
> printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
> ... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
> cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>
> Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
> IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
> visual inspection with the canon?
>
> thanks
> AJ

I've bought a couple of different brands of compatibles for the IP4000 and
both have had 'prisms' and have reported low ink accurately. I think you've
been sold a dud. As I'm in Australia, and as you haven't stated where you
are from my specific recommendations are probably not useful to you.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:05:16 AM

Caitlin wrote:

><nospammer999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi ...
>>just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
>>... in my ip4000...
>>but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
>>printer on/off and rebooting pc)...

GOOD. WAIT FOR THE CLOG

>>Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
>>because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
>>and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>>
>>Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
>>anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
>>printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
>>... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
>>cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>>
>>Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
>>IP4000 ink management system...

CANON OEM CARTS WITH OEM INK

>>or do they all require this ongoing
>>visual inspection with the canon?
>>
>>thanks
>>AJ
>>

>I've bought a couple of different brands of compatibles for the IP4000 and
>both have had 'prisms' and have reported low ink accurately. I think you've
>been sold a dud. As I'm in Australia, and as you haven't stated where you
>are from my specific recommendations are probably not useful to you.

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:33:30 AM

In article <1127124168.219541.238860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
nospammer999@hotmail.com says...
> Hi ...
> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
> ... in my ip4000...
> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>
> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>
> Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
> anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
> printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
> ... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
> cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>
> Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
> IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
> visual inspection with the canon?
>
> thanks
> AJ

I bought some empty cartridges from inkjetsaver.com, and they do have
the prisms in the bottom. Haven't had to use any yet, as I am on my 4th
or 5th refill each with the original Canon cartridges (Using ink from
alotofthings.com) and they are still working great.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:27:40 AM

nospammer999@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi ...
> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
> ... in my ip4000...
> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>
> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...

How odd... my experence with aftermarket tanks is limited to
www.inksupply.com simply because buy refillables that don't need to be
replaced. But those refillables have prisms in them. I was not aware
that canon had a patent on this.

I was unaware jettec had no prisms. This is some bad mojo. While the
prism system isn't perfect, it's better than nothing. You might enjoy
better luck getting refillables. I'm afraid I don't know the UK market
very well but there is some guy who speaks about cartridgeworld.com, a
uk based company.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:45:52 PM

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

>In article <1127124168.219541.238860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>nospammer999@hotmail.com says...
>

>>Hi ...
>>just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
>>... in my ip4000...
>>but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
>>printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>>
>>Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
>>because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
>>and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>>
>>Other than complaining that this wasn't clear from their website... can
>>anyone confirm this is the really the case ... my kids burnt out a
>>printhead on a previous printer by not replacing the ink soon enough
>>... will the IP4000 out of ink warning appear with a compatible
>>cartridge... or will I not know until it stops printing on the page?
>>
>>Does anyone know of a compatible cartridge that works better with the
>>IP4000 ink management system... or do they all require this ongoing
>>visual inspection with the canon?
>>
>>thanks
>>AJ
>>

>I bought some empty cartridges from inkjetsaver.com, and they do have
>the prisms in the bottom. Haven't had to use any yet, as I am on my 4th
>or 5th refill each with the original Canon cartridges (Using ink from
>alotofthings.com) and they are still working great.

WHY WHY PECKERBLOOMER IS A BRIT LIVING IN DA USA
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:16:50 PM

Matt Zukowski wrote:

> nospammer999@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi ...
>> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
>> ... in my ip4000...
>> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
>> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>>
>> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
>> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
>> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>

> How odd... my experence with aftermarket tanks is limited to
> www.inksupply.com simply because buy refillables that don't need to be
> replaced. But those refillables have prisms in them. I was not aware
> that canon had a patent on this.
>
> I was unaware jettec had no prisms. This is some bad mojo. While the
> prism system isn't perfect, it's better than nothing. You might enjoy
> better luck getting refillables. I'm afraid I don't know the UK
> market very well but there is some guy who speaks about
> cartridgeworld.com, a uk based company.
>
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php

DA FOTOFREEK CHURCH
September 22, 2005 4:20:31 AM

> I spoke with Penny Madison at Jet Tec yesterday concerning the lack of
> prisms in their compatible cartridges and the upshot is that 'The prism in
> the canon cartridges is patented' which is why theirs does not have one.
> Due to the design of their compatible cartridges 'solid on all sides except
> one', the ink level will either show always full or empty. The only way to
> see when the ink is running out is to manually check the cartridge
> yourself.
> This also applies to many other compatible cartridge suppliers such as
> Cartridge world and Ronells in the UK.

Amazing. Every compatabile cartridge i've seen employs the use of a
prism. I was not aware it was patented technology. Sounds like UK
users and venders need to order refillables from either China or
America, places that have no issues selling this technology.

I imagine that this could be resolved via a simple float mirror or ball
in a tube. Assuming what I read on the prism is correct, the liquid in
the tank refracts the light, where when empty the prism reflects the
light back upon it self. Either that or it might be more simple, might
need nothing more that a reflective top so when the ink level is low
light shines up and reflects down.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:30:40 AM

www.cartridgeworld.org worth trying!

I spoke with Penny Madison at Jet Tec yesterday concerning the lack of
prisms in their compatible cartridges and the upshot is that 'The prism in
the canon cartridges is patented' which is why theirs does not have one. Due
to the design of their compatible cartridges 'solid on all sides except
one', the ink level will either show always full or empty. The only way to
see when the ink is running out is to manually check the cartridge yourself.
This also applies to many other compatible cartridge suppliers such as
Cartridge world and Ronells in the UK. These compatible cartridges are
designed this way so as not to infringe on Canons patented designs, due, in
part, to the actions Epson has and is taking against other compatible
cartridge suppliers i.e 'Print-Rite'. The best option would be to source a
supplier of empty canon cartridges and refill them yourself. This would be a
cheaper option and. providing you choose a supplier of inks such as
Sensient(Formulabs), you should have little problem with them nor should you
find any difference with the finished output. No doubt 'measekite' with
respond to this as usual. I am beginning to believe that he/she does not
have any printers at all!

--
Regards
Stick, Oxford, UK
"Matt Zukowski" <zakezuke_us@moc.oohay.invalid> wrote in message
news:D goo44$44v$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> nospammer999@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hi ...
>> just replace an original cartidge with a jettec ("c22c 30% extra life")
>> ... in my ip4000...
>> but canon monitor now shows it as still low on ink (even after turning
>> printer on/off and rebooting pc)...
>>
>> Jettec say this is because their cartridges don't include a prism
>> because of canon patent? They say I have to keep taking cartidges out
>> and visually inspecting level via transparant side to cartridge...
>
> How odd... my experence with aftermarket tanks is limited to
> www.inksupply.com simply because buy refillables that don't need to be
> replaced. But those refillables have prisms in them. I was not aware
> that canon had a patent on this.
>
> I was unaware jettec had no prisms. This is some bad mojo. While the
> prism system isn't perfect, it's better than nothing. You might enjoy
> better luck getting refillables. I'm afraid I don't know the UK market
> very well but there is some guy who speaks about cartridgeworld.com, a uk
> based company.
>
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:30:41 AM

Stick Stickus wrote:

>www.cartridgeworld.org worth trying!
>
>I spoke with Penny Madison at Jet Tec yesterday concerning the lack of
>prisms in their compatible cartridges and the upshot is that 'The prism in
>the canon cartridges is patented' which is why theirs does not have one.

LYING WHORE

>Due
>to the design of their compatible cartridges 'solid on all sides except
>one', the ink level will either show always full or empty. The only way to
>see when the ink is running out is to manually check the cartridge yourself.
>This also applies to many other compatible cartridge suppliers such as
>Cartridge world and Ronells in the UKELLE. These compatible cartridges are
>designed this way so as not to infringe on Canons patented designs, due, in
>part, to the actions Epson has and is taking against other compatible
>cartridge suppliers i.e 'Print-Rite'.

HOOORAE

>The best option would be to source a
>supplier of empty canon cartridges and refill them yourself.

THE BEST OPTION WOULD BE TO BUY CANON OEM INK IN CANON OEM CARTS

> This would be a
>cheaper option and. providing you choose a supplier of inks such as
>Sensient(Formulabs), you should have little problem with them nor should you
>find any difference with the finished output. No doubt 'measekite' with
>respond to this as usual. I am beginning to believe that he/she does not
>have any printers at all!

I TICKLE MY BALLS WITH A FEATURE AND PRINT WITH MY DICK

OH OH STIKUM UP YOU INKYSTINKYSTIKUM
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:08:50 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>I spoke with Penny Madison at Jet Tec yesterday concerning the lack of
>>prisms in their compatible cartridges and the upshot is that 'The prism in
>>the canon cartridges is patented' which is why theirs does not have one.
>>Due to the design of their compatible cartridges 'solid on all sides except
>>one', the ink level will either show always full or empty. The only way to
>>see when the ink is running out is to manually check the cartridge
>>yourself.
>>This also applies to many other compatible cartridge suppliers such as
>>Cartridge world and Ronells in the UK.
>>

>Amazing. Every compatabile cartridge i've seen employs the use of a
>prism. I was not aware it was patented technology. Sounds like UK
>users and venders need to order refillables from either China or
>America, places that have no issues selling this technology.

IF YOU ORDERED FROM CANON YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO WRITE ABOUT THIS BULLSHIT.

!