Reallocating HardDrive Space

Ano334

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Hi all, Im running windows 7 and I would like to reallocate my HD space from my E drive to my C drive. C drive is the main drive of course, after installing Windows 7 I only have 25 GB free and I would like to allocate some of the 250 GB from my E drive. Is this possible without a full wipe on my memory to reinstall windows 7? Thanks in advance for your help

it can be done even if they are not on the same physical disk.
HOWEVER there are risks associated with doing it, investigate disk management, and you can either re-assign diskspace from E to C, with risks if they are on the same physical disk. Or you can merge the two physical disks into one disk.

Backups are nearly essential, and you really do need to understand the risks involved, both during the process and with the system working afterward.

Ano334

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the reply, they are both on the same disk however. So if I were to reallocate space I would need to do a clean wipe and install of my system right?

have a look in disk admin, (type disk management in to the win7 search box).

You'll be able to 'shrink' E: however I suspect that the space will appear after E: and not before it. If it appears before it you may be able to expand C:

Back it up to a separate disk first!!!.

But the real question is why do you care enough to want to change it, yes it might look nice to all be on one drive, but having your documents, music etc. on another partition can be helpful.

You can install programs to e: store everything on E: (then if C: gets trashed you've still got it).

If you pick these things up quickly and have the knack and are not too scared about losing things then go ahead use disk management, play and learn (its how most of us go to where we are) if you need help with every step then its probably not for you and you should leave well enough alone, wait till you buy a new HDD and deal with it then. I'm running C:win7 d:programs e:data and am more than happy with that.