mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I dont know much about this but....i already have 1 gb or ram, i want to upgrade to 2gbs. Should i just buy two more 512mb sticks(fill all the slots up) or should i buy the 1 gb sticks...im just seing if i can save myself some money. I'll give all the info i can get of cpu-z:

Module size: 512 mb
Max Bandwith: PC2-4300(266MHz(?!?!?))
Manufacturer: Infineon
its DDR2, i have two of these 4-4-4-12 timing(?)

any help is apreciated.

Killercop

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Well, I depends on what you are yousing your computer for. I if you are using your computer to surf the net, watch movies and pictures and something like that, I would buy 2 x 512 as the same RAM you have already. Or notupgrade at all. But if you are a gamer, then it gets alittle more difficult. First, decide if you are going for Dual Channel RAM, which is faster than "normal" RAM, but also at some point more expensive. Next to decide is that how much do you really need? 512 MB x 4= 2 GB RAM, but (2 x 512 MB) + (2 x 1 GB)= 3 GB. Though if you want 2 GB RAM, I would buy 1 GB module, so you upgrade your computer even more in the future. Though, you will miss Dual Channel, but thats really not the biggest deal.

Or, you could trash the RAM you have now, and buy 2 x 1 GB DDR2, with Dual Channel (if your motherboards supports it of course), as Infineon isn't like the best RAM maker...

But please do PM me, or post again, if you still need help.

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
wow finaly a reply yay! well i mostly want more RAM because im running slow in bf2 and im gona try to go beyond photoshop(ive been at it since summer started so while trying to do backgrounds it bogs down) and into 3d desing and stuff since i have 3dsmax, i might as well learn it. So basicaly I do know aabout computers and stuff(well im trying to learn) so i do know two things, my mobo sucks(im still not to wise on the why...but i cant overclock it) and i dont know much about ram.
I heard somewere that 64-bit could handle 3 gb but 32-bit couldnt(im refering to either the OS or the cpu, im not sure)....i dont get this...so i thought i would ask here if the is any problem with four sticks instead of two. Im dont have to much money so i want to make it count, get me?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
With the 6600GT running BF2, it is probably the video card that is the bottleneck (slowest part of the system, restricting frame rates.) But 2GB has been shown to help in BF2 and it will certainly give a boost in photoshop and 3dsmax.

Unless you have 64 bit Windows (OS) (I am guessing you do not,) it is not wise to get over 2GB of RAM and doesn't make much sense to anyway, there is hardly any performance gain that I have seen of 3GB over 2GB.

I personally would just get 2 more 512 sticks of the same RAM you have now, and not worry about upgrading until later. (2GB should be good for a couple years, even with Vista)

Being that RAM prices are very high right now, especially DDR2, my solution makes the most sense, and when you want to move up to 3GB or more, you may be upgrading the whole system, or just the RAM which should be a fair amount cheaper at that time.

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
it runs bf2 good is just that once in a while it freezes for like half a second. but other than that its like 50 fps...but i have to get the exact same type of RAM? can it be from someone else or am i looking at DDR2 with the same speed and stuff.

Mondoman

Splendid
... Dual Channel RAM, which is faster than "normal" RAM, but also at some point more expensive.
Sorry, but this phrasing could confuse the newbies. Dual/single channel capability is a function of the memory controller on the MB (or in the CPU), not the RAM. All it is is two memory controllers working in parallel at the same time, each accessing a different DIMM, and so in total transferring twice as much data per unit time.
To work properly in dual channel mode, the pair of DIMMs need to be the same capacity, same speed, and same internal organization. However, the DIMMs individually are no different from those used for single channel operation. Two individually-packed DIMMs that are the same part number should work fine together in dual-channel mode.

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
but can i use for example four stickc and still have two dual-hannel thingys set up? And, do all four sticks needto be exactly the same?