Power supply - testing offline?????

leatherbury

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
My PC won't do anything at all when I hit the power on button - nada - dead as a doorknob.

Is there a way to test the power supply with a radio shack voltage tester? (I do get 5 volts between a couple of pins on the 20-pin connector).

I changed out the cpu and motherboard already - no difference. The motherboard is an ATX 20-pin connector Supermicro P6SBA and the power supply is the FSP350-60pn, which has an additional 4-pin connector that I have never had connected with the mobo).

I don't have another compatable PC handy to try changing out power supplies with - that would be my first thought. I really need an offline way to test the power supply - any ideas?

leatherbury

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
thankyou, mpilch. I am glad to say that it is working now. I removed the PSU and tested wire 14 (the green wire) and it register 3.8 volts, which I read that was correct before hitting the power on switch. So, I went ahead and reconnected everything and, BINGO, it fired right up. I KNOW (I mean I really really checked) I had all my connections before but, I must admit that some one of my connections must have been faulty - I am so embarrased by this. But, it is true that it is very hard to get right down to where all these connections are made and maybe one was loose somewhere. Anyway, once I put it back and fired it up, all is well. I have my PC back running and I am so relieved.

The trick of using one CD drive and a fan is a good one to remember if I run into this again. As much as I hate to admit it, I have to remind myself to CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS, and then RECHECK THEM!