Removing windows 7 Password Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Hi there,

Is your computer connected to a domain or just a win-7 personal computer?
If it is a work domain networked computer, the domain admnistrator sets that requirement in Group Policy and you can't change it.

If it's just your own computer, open the Local Group Policy Editor snapin:
click on Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policy. On the right side click on the Maximum Password Age, choose Properties, and you can set it between 1 - 999 days. The default is 42

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Is your computer connected to a domain or just a win-7 personal computer?
If it is a work domain networked computer, the domain admnistrator sets that requirement in Group Policy and you can't change it.

If it's just your own computer, open the Local Group Policy Editor snapin:
click on Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policy. On the right side click on the Maximum Password Age, choose Properties, and you can set it between 1 - 999 days. The default is 42

Solution

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
click on start, right-click on computer and select manage

then click on "local users and groups"

then select the name you want to edit (right click, properties)

then check the box, password never expire

this can only be done on a computer running the comertial version of windows 7

this will not work on work computers

killytu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
You can create a Windows password reset bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive to reset Windows password, i have created a bootable USB flash drive with the tool Windows Password Breaker and reset my administrator password successfully.

algeorgi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

John, appreciate your reply. I have windows 7 home edition on a dell lap top. I am unable to bring up the "local group policy editor snapin" and follow your directions. Any other way to do it. Again Thanks, Al

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Al,

There is another way to try.
Go to the desktop, right click on Computer, then Manage, then Local Users and Groups. Click the down arrow and Users. On the right choose your Account, probably Al, right click on it and choose Properties. there should be a check box for "Password never Expires". Check that and you should be OK

algeorgi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

John, I must be a total loss or have a "strange" windows 7" installation from Dell. Did what you said, got to "manage" clicked on everything but couldn't get"local users and groups". After four attempts I gave up ---think my laptop is spooked. Thanks, Al

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Al,

It's not advertised, but the MS website says the Local Users and Groups is not included in the Home Premium edition.
To confirm in the run line type "lusrmgr.msc" and if no snap-in appears, it's not there.

Here is an option listed on the following webpage regarding removing the password aging in Win-7 Home Premium. I have never tried it but it's something to consider. http://breztech.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/howto-turn-off-password-expiration-in-windows-7/

In Windows 7 Home Premium:
1.Run Command Prompt as Administrator (Rt-click cmd program to Run as Administrator)
2.Type the following, then press enter net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
3.Logoff and restart the PC, Your done.

The only other option is, if your computer is at home, secure, you could remove the password so it didn't ask for one.

algeorgi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Thanks John. I'll try the suggestions and hope for the best. Again ,thank you very much for your help.

actrl88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
To remove Windows 7 password safely. I suggest you use the third party password recovery tool, For example, Windows Password Seeker. The tool will enable you to remove the password in seconds. No need to reinstall Windows and no data loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.