1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
For a Conroe E6300 processor without OC.
(I was thinking about getting an asrock mobo but decided not to for some reasons)

Which is better:
Asus P5L-VM 1394
GIGABYTE GA-945G-S3
The gigabyte one is a bit more expensive too.

thanks
They're very similar.
1. Asus has Firewire..Gigabyte doesn't.
2. Gigabyte has 3 PCI slots(NIC,Sound,etc.), Asus has 2.
3. Price
Those are the main differences, and both companies make very good motherboards. So, it boils down to price or personal(brand?) preference, or whether you want/need Firewire or an extra PCI slot. GL :)

Himal

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I wouldent even go with core 2 duo right now, any mobo thats werth a crap right now is 200 bucks. made me just hold out. but I gess it boils down to what you will be doing with your system.

You might be right on the price of the motherboards, but if he wants to pay for the price now, then he should do it. Obviously if he want's to save some money and wait, then he has that option too.
Getting back to his earlier question, I prefer the ASUS brand, but that is me. Gigabyte also make good mobo's too, so don't rule it out. As it was stated earlier, you need to weigh out the options that you require for your use (PCI's, Firewire, etc.). I'm sure either one will be fine, so if cost is the most importatnt part, then I would go with the cheaper one.

My 2cp

yonir

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
OK, I guess I'll go with ASUS then, I don't need a firewire nor a third PCI slot anyway, and they are also a bit cheaper.

I wouldent even go with core 2 duo right now, any mobo thats werth a crap right now is 200 bucks. made me just hold out. but I gess it boils down to what you will be doing with your system.
What is the difference between a 200$ mobo and Asus P5L-VM 1394 if not doing any OC ?