Your question

Went to sleep - won't wake up

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2006 2:10:55 AM

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI mb, Corsair RAM, Gforce 7900 vid, 805D CPU, Antec case w/450w PS.
Overclocked system @ 3.5 Ghz - CPU v bumped a notch, RAM and PCIe voltage bumped .2. Been running solid for months now - CPU normally runs @ 39C - 45C tops when stressed heavily.
Anyway - had it on all weekend, turned off for the night now absolutely nada. Stone cold dead.
No post, no beeps - I even lost the keyboard and optical mouse power. The fans and front panel lights work tho...
Ok -specifically none of the chipsets are even warm, normally the MB provided power to the mouse and keyboard, system powers up and down but absolutely no boot at ALL - not even bios.
Any ideas how to proceed? If this got toasted from teh OC then I really don't want to sink $$ for another of the same.
I even reset the CMOS to no avail! No sign of MB being fried..
What controls the power to teh mouse and keyboard? I'm thinking that is the MB but all the fans operate!
Regards,
Jon

More about : sleep wake

September 26, 2006 2:43:38 AM

sounds like a part on the motherboard might have blown. inspect the capacitors and solid state chips. see if any have any cracks in them or look blown out.
September 26, 2006 3:21:58 AM

test the psu...go to your local pc store and buy a psu tester...i'd bet my last dollar its that crappy Antec you have.
Related resources
September 26, 2006 3:30:15 AM

Quote:
test the psu...go to your local pc store and buy a psu tester...i'd bet my last dollar its that crappy Antec you have.

have you had any trouble with antec psus? if not then dont bag them out. ive sold many of these units in australia and unless the australian ones are different in some way then there is nothing wrong with antec.
its possible that it could be the psu, im not saying its not but ive had a similar problem with it turning on and fans running but nothing else. turned out to be a dead capacitor.
September 26, 2006 4:24:20 AM

let me guess... you didnt have an UPS right?
a c 487 à CPUs
September 26, 2006 2:59:39 PM

Quote:

A UPS isn't really necessary. Good to have in case the power goes out and you need to save your work. However, a good surge protector is a must have.
September 26, 2006 3:43:43 PM

There's a good chance the psu has failed. Its supplying some power, but not enough to the right places. Try testing it, or use a different psu and see if the machine fires up. Being overclocked and all, if you replace the psu, you might want to consider something in the 500-550 wt class. It might be a bit large, but will provide a bit more room for future upgrades.

Another possibility is that the motherboard died. If the psu checks out good, the motherboard is the next thing I'd suspect given the symptoms you describe.
September 26, 2006 4:11:27 PM

I had a hamster go like that :p 

Seriously though. The "LEDs on, fans spin but she's dead quite dead" sounds like a dead MB. My P4 laptop went that way. On powerup LEDs turned on, fans spun, and absolutely nothing else.

For those of you: upon inspection I found that the CPU cooling fan had died and, remember this is a P4 laptop, proceeded to fuse itself permanently to the moboard. And now I'm building a conroe box. With big fans. Yeah.
September 26, 2006 4:47:59 PM

IMHO, surge protectors are crap. I've had 3 surge protectors connect to one another and the only thing on any of them, at the end of the chain was the computer and monitor and I still had issues with them.

Added a UPS and nary a problem.
September 27, 2006 2:28:38 AM

Definitly sounds like a bad psu. As far as Antec goes im with mainyard, I have used Antec in dozens of builds and next to never had any problems. Also, if you dont have a good UPS make sure you pick one up with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) that way if you have a surge or brownout you pc still gets proper voltages at all time.
September 27, 2006 3:44:38 AM

Quote:

Bad guess - 650 VA unit with conditioning.
September 27, 2006 3:45:26 AM

Quote:
sounds like a part on the motherboard might have blown. inspect the capacitors and solid state chips. see if any have any cracks in them or look blown out.

Everything looks fine on the MB - first thing I checked. I was hoping it would be something obvious...
September 27, 2006 3:47:01 AM

Quote:

To my knowledge Antec makes pretty good stuff - the raters here on TH think so too. I *do* wish there was someone here local with a tester that I could use - I'll check again and see... Good advice.
September 27, 2006 3:52:47 AM

Thanks for the replies folks but some are off target I think - the system had been running for over a week. I happened to check the CPU temp before I shut it down and it was 38 C. Shut down perfectly normal. Just won't wake up. Bizarre. It does seem like all power except 12V is gone. Unsure how the power is handled/affected by the MB. Seems strange that the fans all work plugged into the MB since they are controlle by teh MB.
Thanks,
Jon
September 27, 2006 4:12:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks but some are off target I think - the system had been running for over a week. I happened to check the CPU temp before I shut it down and it was 38 C. Shut down perfectly normal. Just won't wake up. Bizarre. It does seem like all power except 12V is gone. Unsure how the power is handled/affected by the MB. Seems strange that the fans all work plugged into the MB since they are controlle by teh MB.
Thanks,
Jon

The fans run off 12v that could explain why theyre still running. as far as i know the motherboard only tells the psu to turn on and off, so to me it sounds as if it is the psu. whack another one on it and see if it boots and runs normally.
!