Memory upgrade

We have just purchased an Epson Aculaser C41000 colour laser printer, which
comes with 64MB memory installed. I would like to upgrade the memory with a
512MB SDRAM DIMM, which the manual says is supported. but I can't get anyone
to tell me where I can get one. I have tried Insight, whom I bought the
printer from, and they say that they don't sell them, and Epson UK, who tell
me that it is just a standard PC100/133 SDRAM module. The specification
given in the manual is SDRAM DIMM, up to 512MB, CL=2, 168-pin, 64-bit, 3.3v
with SPD, PC100 compliant. I cannot find any reference to which modules
include SPD and which don't and using the memory selector at
www.kingston.com only returns 2 modules, the largest of which is 256MB, not
512MB. I cannot believe that it is so difficult to find a memory module for
a new printer, so if anyone can tell me of a compatible 512MB module, and
where I can buy one in the UK, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Andy Baker

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

"Andy Baker" <abaker@NOSPAMvanputer.com> wrote in message
> We have just purchased an Epson Aculaser C41000 colour laser printer,
> which comes with 64MB memory installed. I would like to upgrade the memory
> with a 512MB SDRAM DIMM, which the manual says is supported. but I can't
> get anyone to tell me where I can get one. I have tried Insight, whom I
> bought the printer from, and they say that they don't sell them, and Epson
> UK, who tell me that it is just a standard PC100/133 SDRAM module. The
> specification given in the manual is SDRAM DIMM, up to 512MB, CL=2,
> 168-pin, 64-bit, 3.3v with SPD, PC100 compliant. I cannot find any
> reference to which modules include SPD and which don't and using the
> memory selector at www.kingston.com only returns 2 modules, the largest of
> which is 256MB, not 512MB. I cannot believe that it is so difficult to
> find a memory module for a new printer, so if anyone can tell me of a
> compatible 512MB module, and where I can buy one in the UK, I would be
> very grateful. Thanks in advance.
>
> Andy Baker

Hi there.

Have you tried your local computer shop?

I don't mean PC World, Comet or any of those big fancy places.

The best source for helpfull advice, and cheap prices, is usually the little
local Computer shop.

They might seem a bit nerdish, but they usually know their stuff, and carry
a good range of bits and pieces. The reference to SPD, whatever that is,
might not be critical especially if it is PC100 compliant.

It is just possible that you won't be able to get a 512Mb chip, not much
uses PC100 nowadays, and most computers, unlike your printer, can take 2
chips.

Roy G

In article <432eb539$0$1287$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, "Andy
Baker" <abaker@NOSPAMvanputer.com> wrote:

> .......Epson UK, who tell
> me that it is just a standard PC100/133 SDRAM module.

Andy-

It appears to be a standard PC100 or PC133 module. Either should work. I
can't believe a 512 MB module isn't available somewhere in your area. The
older PC100 should be cheaper since there is little demand for it any
more.

Fred

ME

In message <432eb539$0$1287$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Andy
Baker <abaker@NOSPAMvanputer.com> writes
>We have just purchased an Epson Aculaser C41000 colour laser printer, which
>comes with 64MB memory installed. I would like to upgrade the memory with a
>512MB SDRAM DIMM, which the manual says is supported. but I can't get anyone
>to tell me where I can get one. I have tried Insight, whom I bought the
>printer from, and they say that they don't sell them, and Epson UK, who tell
>me that it is just a standard PC100/133 SDRAM module. The specification
>given in the manual is SDRAM DIMM, up to 512MB, CL=2, 168-pin, 64-bit, 3.3v
>with SPD, PC100 compliant. I cannot find any reference to which modules
>include SPD and which don't and using the memory selector at
>www.kingston.com only returns 2 modules, the largest of which is 256MB, not
>512MB. I cannot believe that it is so difficult to find a memory module for
>a new printer, so if anyone can tell me of a compatible 512MB module, and
>where I can buy one in the UK, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Ebuyer.com shows a Kingston 512 PC100 for 60 odd quid. I'm sure a
froogle search should chuck some up, or you could try amazon.

--
Timothy

"Fred McKenzie" <fmmck@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <432eb539$0$1287$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, "Andy
> Baker" <abaker@NOSPAMvanputer.com> wrote:
>
>> .......Epson UK, who tell
>> me that it is just a standard PC100/133 SDRAM module.
>
> Andy-
>
> It appears to be a standard PC100 or PC133 module. Either should work. I
> can't believe a 512 MB module isn't available somewhere in your area. The
> older PC100 should be cheaper since there is little demand for it any
> more.
>
> Fred

Thanks for all your advice. I think I will just have to try a standard
module and hope it works. The only things that concerned me is the fact that
the user manual specified a SPD chip, and the Kingston memory selector only
returned 128 & 256MB modules, when Kingston clearly manufacture 512MB
modules - why are these unsuitable?

Andy Baker

Andy:

It might have something to do with teh memory chips. In a lot of 512MB SDRAM,
the high density chips are used. Even PC that use PC100 SDRAM might recognize
the SDRAM with high density chips or not the full amount (for example, a 256MB
module only shown as 128MB).

Dewaine