e6600 stock thermal paste.

i added a drop of new arctic silver 5

the case temp is ambient open case

first build 10 years old

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
That shouldnt be.
Does the stock HSF have thermal tape? If so and you used grease it'll run hot.
Wierd for a Conroe to run that hot. Your gonna fry it.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hmmm methinks you shouldn't have added that drop of AS5 on top of that stock thermal paste. It's just my first guess though.

Maybe you should get an Arctic Articlean kit and do the whole thing again... I mean, redo the thermal paste thing. With just a tiny bit of AS5.

Just thinking. Should be a cool CPU...

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Is your fan spinning? Are you sure it's 82C and not 82F? (I'm not trying to make you feel stupid but it never hurts to make sure, you know?) Take off the HS, completely clean it, and the processor (make sure you know what you're doing) and try again.

If that doesn't work, RMA it.

johnaintdoe

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Is your fan spinning? Are you sure it's 82C and not 82F? (I'm not trying to make you feel stupid but it never hurts to make sure, you know?) Take off the HS, completely clean it, and the processor (make sure you know what you're doing) and try again.

I hoped... The temps in F is 177

And will the P5B auto OC trash the warranty?

I'll be 11 in a month

mhbjmsr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I dont get how every single thread i've read online about conroe temps say that people have been getting the highest readings with CoreTemp because it measures inside the chip or whatever. For me, CoreTemp has always been the lowest reading by far. Asus Probe II shows 41 C right now. Core Temp 31-32. this is all stock settings. if i OC to 333 fsb, probe goes to 48 and Core Temp reads 37 to 38.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Fine, you weren't spreading cold hard FUD... But the FUDness is there, just. :p

Anyway, I just saw a case in XS forum where one user reports CoreTemp readings being drastically abnormal from TAT and the vice-versa for TAT in another case.

So yeh, time to change the temp readings intructions in my guide (yet again). This time with both TAT & CoreTemp running then picking the more consistant one.

There was no fudiness there. Cold, hard, or soft warm and wet. I wasnt spreading fear or doubt. I was reporting my experiance and making a recommendation based on that. I still dont see where your getting this. I mean, It not like I was running my mouth saying "4x4 will rule kentsfield all....mark my words, you'll see. I know I invented 4x4"

Now that aside, there were some things I wanted to talk to you about, trying to isolate the problem with Core Temp.

When you were running Core Temp, were you running it simultaniuosly with TAT?

Were you running it with any other Temp monitoring programs?

The reason I went looking for other progs was that I didnt trust PcProbe. MBM and Hmon agree with it though. Now, what is interesting, is when I run Core Temp simultaniuosly with PCProbe, PCProbe will "spike" momentarily up to 264"C from time to time. Clearly this is wrong. MBM and Hmon dont seem to have a problem with this. This implies to me that the 2 progs are interferring with each other somehow. TAT does not seem to interfer with PCProbe. (another reason I tend to distrust Core Temp)

So, I am thinking that perhaps, the other progs are interfering with Core Temps sensor polling cycle, or vice versa. I could explain why my readings are apparently jacked up.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I've seen screenshots of TAT and CoreTemp running togather... don't think there's any interference there.

I'm suprised MBM5 is still able to read the sensor chip on your board. I guess it used one that already existed in its database. My advice, don't use it. (Even though I'm a die-hard MBM5 fan and use it for older mobos)

SpeedFan + CoreTemp/TAT, that's an intresting one because people will be using that combo in my guide. Can you please test that? Thanx

ASUS's PCProbe=blind man shooting rifle or it does the same calculation as what SpeedFan used.

Coretemp and Asus probe are really close on my e6600 system, within 1-2 C, and the coretemp is always updating, and the Asus is set for every 5 seconds.

Idle and load (prime 95)

randomizer

Champion
ASUS probe has always had problems with interference. Speedfan, everest, everything - they all cause occasional spikes or dips, and sometimes the reading is "N/A" for a few seconds. I got 73C on my e6600 within 30s of dual prime95 with stock cooler and no OC. Definitely try removing the HS and giving it a good clean (as well as the cpu) and then apply some AS5 to the cpu. I use a piece of plastic to make a nice even thin spread on the surface of my cpu. I dont trust a blob in the centre to spread out nicely and evenly. And I certainly didnt trust the pitiful junk that was on the cooler originally.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Ok,

I had to add something for the new system builders in the crowd. Won't call you nubz, cause we all were at one time or another. If you don't know what you're doing, plz plz plz read the documentation! There are so many on-line quality guides with pics. Maybe AS5 website would have been a great place to start. NEVER apply AS5 to the HS that still has the original thermal grease on it. That defeats the whole purpose and could possibly could cause AS5 to leek out damaging your MB and CPU (I know far-fetched but wouldn't that be ugly, might be a nice fireworks show too.)

Don't turn on your computer until you...You can, but 80+ C is ridiculosly high and in danger of damaging components). Not to mention almost smells of Troll-fry.

1. Remove your Heat sink.
2. Clean both HS and CPU carfully with isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing. Do not use nail polish remover (you can but have to be careful what type you use, best left not recomended)
3. FOLLOW the guide on how to reapply AS5. here
4. Re-seat your HS carefully, following the directions provided. Take your time a lot of people mess up here and don't know why their temps get so high.
5. If your temps still read in the 80's you might try the process again from step 1 or RMA, as a 80+C Conroe is pretty much going be useless anyway.

Good luck and have fun. Take your time.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I've seen screenshots of TAT and CoreTemp running togather... don't think there's any interference there.

I'm suprised MBM5 is still able to read the sensor chip on your board. I guess it used one that already existed in its database. My advice, don't use it. (Even though I'm a die-hard MBM5 fan and use it for older mobos)

SpeedFan + CoreTemp/TAT, that's an intresting one because people will be using that combo in my guide. Can you please test that? Thanx

ASUS's PCProbe=blind man shooting rifle or it does the same calculation as what SpeedFan used.

Temps for Core Temp and TAT still about the same, and in this case, right at a 10'split. I ran Speedfan with them. Afer about 8 minutes I started PcProbe to see if it would cause any changes in TAT, Cote Temp or Speedfan. No changes, but I did get the recuring PCProbe spike again.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Ramp up the clock speed and voltage and you'll see that gap grow quite large.

Hmm. Both the OPs post and yours are interesting. Maybe its apples and oranges, but at stock settings with TAT (since it takes readings from the same sensor as Core Temp) vs MBM/Hmon/PcProbe, I see a fairly consistant 18-20'C split at idle as well as 100% load. Temp increases from idle to 100% were pretty much 1 to 1. This looked perfectly normal to me, based on the fact that TAT was reading from the in die sensor (sorry, Im stuck on the old terms, call me antiquated) while the others were reading on die, and the readings were consistant during the temp changes.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I agree. I've seen so much of these temperature tests run on C2D. I wasn't quite sure where this was going when I first was reading your responses turpit. Anyhow, maybe some more data might help you, but I like Wusy's explanation. Here's my tests run similar to yours. Thought I'd do it just for fun and grab my 100th post at the same time.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

I hoped... The temps in F is 177

And will the P5B auto OC trash the warranty?

I'll be 11 in a month

OMG; we have a fifth-grader on the forumz. A cutie wutie widdl fifth grader :lol: . Awwww

WHAT? HE HAS A NICER COMPUTER THAN ME?!?!

And I thought I was the youngest person on the forumz.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
everyone, my cpu's gonna blow, it is using a stock cooler

e6600 stock thermal paste.

i added a drop of new arctic silver 5

the case temp is ambient open case

first build 10 years old
very nice!
you can use your PC to make tea or coffee or as thermal solution in winter.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Here's the thing, if I really took my time into research that, what gain would I(or any other overclockers) get? Absolutely nothing because it doesn't affect actual temperatue nor OC potential one bit.

So, I'm just going to stick to my golden delta-temp rule and as mentioned above, let the user experiment and pick between the two thermal monitors when overclocking.

What I would like people to learn from this thread is:
-In CoreTemp, TCaseMax of 85C is the figure, when reached, is when Intel's stated 60.1C will be reached for actual temperature because beyond that stage the processor will throttle. This is what TM2(Themal Monitor2) was designd for, a trigger at 60.1C and not a monitor. (Both CoreTemp and TAT were designed around TM2, 85C was used for CoreTemp because of compatibility with other processors besides C2D)

-Due to the above reason it's impossible(without external heating) to reach beyond 60.1C (actual temperature) for C2D

-When the same progam is used to measure temperature, multiplier factor is rarely inaccurate(as long as CoreTemp/TAT doesn't malfunction) and so by comparing delta of idle-load is valid. It's why it's used in the C2D OC guide.

Well now, that extremely interesting and, unless Im misinterpreting what you've written, proves Core Temp has a prob as there is no way I should be seeing over 60.1'C (on a Core 2 Duo)

Another curious thing is Hatsurfers results running the exact same monitors I was. PCprobe TAT and Core Temp all show fairly close readings, but Probe should be reading Im sorry, another old term) on die, so it should be lower than either Core Temp or TAT. Of course, it is an E6400, but the rev and step are the same.

4 Hatsurfer, do you know what revision your mobo and BIOS are?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yep. As I once said a long time ago, today new builders are have such an easy time with modern processor because it's impossible to fry them at stock voltage(I've never seen a case where throttling failed and it can't disabled) and comes with an IHS so you can't crush the core.

Maximum affordable cooling, maximum frequency, that's the rule I follow by.

Yeah, its also going to save manufacturers and etailers a lot of money on exchanges/refunds. No more, "I need a new CPU, the one you shipped me didnt work" as the ham fisted will not be able to fry their CPUs with botched OCing attempts.

Invader

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I hit 85C on my E6300. The first time I used CoreTemp it read:

85C - Shut down processor immediately!

I just ignored it, as other programs had my temp at 63C, then at other times 19C. I figured I had a bad sensor or something. I had disabled thermal throtelling in the bios. When I enabled it, temps did go down a bit.

Turns out my heatsink was not totally on. I reclicked all the posts in and now my temps are normal at 38C at idle and up to 47C after heavy gaming. That would be my advice to those with 80C+ temp readings. 8)