Your question
Closed

Linux Now Has "Double" the Market Share of Windows

Tags:
  • Linux
Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 9:18:21 AM

Linux is "free" of course companies are going to use a "free" thing over an expensive one. I just hope a better implementation of Linux is coming soon. Android is okay at best and a pile of crap at worst. And why do we have to program in Java when the hardware is ALWAYS ARM anyway?
Score
January 21, 2013 9:27:50 AM

iOS share of market predicted to increase? I find that highly unlikely to say the least.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 9:34:16 AM

GS probably knows something that we don't (or at least *most* of us don't ;) )
Score
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 9:43:35 AM

linux will only get bigger, it now has a lot of things going for it in the desktop space especially with Valve behind linux
Score
January 21, 2013 10:20:47 AM

"Microsoft's ability to establish Windows Phone and Windows RT"
In this case, they are doomed.
Since Longhorn project they bet the company on a monolithic monster-OS needing quick and infinite performance increase, in order to get people buying costly hardware and software upgrades. That was its business plan, simply put.
In the meantime the real world shifted to mobility, and MS struggled for a decade to patch the epic disaster the new kernel and the new managed code programming paradigm was, instead of using its resources to build ground up a way out from this heck or competing on emerging markets (web, embedded, mobile, or services and research like IBM did).
Score
January 21, 2013 10:49:11 AM

Linux is only a kernel not an OS. Android has a totally different userspace than GNU/Linux, it does not serve to us, GNU/Linux users, having Android with that marketshare. Hell, Android devices have bad GNU/Linux compatibility thanks to the use of propietary protocols like MTP that have to be reverse engineered and hacked to work with the quirks of the poor quality software manufacturers deliver.
Score
January 21, 2013 10:54:06 AM

yeeaahhh...combining the mobile platform market with the standard PC/Mac market...that's really fair. It's like saying that bicycles have a bigger market share than cars (of course, probably not in the U.S but in Europe and Asia, that would be quite likely).
Score
January 21, 2013 11:25:12 AM

marcolorenzoyeeaahhh...combining the mobile platform market with the standard PC/Mac market...that's really fair. It's like saying that bicycles have a bigger market share than cars (of course, probably not in the U.S but in Europe and Asia, that would be quite likely).

A PC used to cost less than a Mac and brought only a tiny fraction of the revenue per unit, but PC/Apple market share comparison was made since the beginning of time.
And Netbooks were counted as PCs even if usually sold at less than half the price of an entry level PC (and less or equal to entry level smartphones!)
Comparing market share is comparing market share, not volume or revenue, so it makes sense as ONE of the business metrics.
In this case, mobile devices has prices comparable to low end of PC offer, not something completely unrelated in price like bicycles vs cars.
What is more interesting is that now anyone including MS with VistaBob 8 Squarepants, is expecting to squeeze money from the web services (say advertising, say adware-based Stores, say built in adware in browser's search and desktop/metro entries), so a low end device might even (BE EXPECTED TO) generate more revenue per unit than an high end workstation expected to do real work instead of browsing or using Apps...
Time will say what business plan is better, but sticking on the news comparing market share is a perfectly legitimate metric to take in account by itself when looking at the IT trends.
Score
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 11:29:28 AM

Linux is a virus! God bless Metro! My pastor has condemmend Linux as communist filth! Only use Windows 8, and support the removal of the desktop!
Score
January 21, 2013 11:41:21 AM

So there were no phone OSes before 2005? and UNIX did not exist? Nor did linux? damn I didn't know the only options in existence were Microsoft and apple before 2005.

Mmmmm..... Horrible nonsense Data from a source who can't count. So tasty. Lets draw conclusions based on it!
Score
January 21, 2013 11:41:39 AM

marcolorenzoyeeaahhh...combining the mobile platform market with the standard PC/Mac market...that's really fair. It's like saying that bicycles have a bigger market share than cars (of course, probably not in the U.S but in Europe and Asia, that would be quite likely).

Very simple analogy and very true, compare Android to Windows 7 and it's a bit like comparing Ferraris to skateboards
Score
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 11:44:11 AM

We love you Metro! Linux is evil! Good will win in this battle of morality! Metro YAY!!!!!
Score
January 21, 2013 11:45:56 AM

Just wait, with as horrid as Win8 is and the fact you can actually BUY a linux pc retail and from companies like HP and Dell that looks more like a Windows pc then the current version of Windows we might keep seeing linux grab bigger and bigger shares.
Score
January 21, 2013 12:04:26 PM

i doubt that Android users/devs consider it to be Linux.
Score
January 21, 2013 12:34:22 PM

Interesting but pointless statistics... It learns us that mobile devices sell pretty well, but tells us nothing about how people use them (I know many smartphone users who never installed an application or never opened a browser or email with their device).
If Android or iOS were meant to compete with desktop OS's, why would Google put so many efforts (with little reward until now) in CromeOS and why would Apple continue MacOSX ??? Why combine their market share ? They're complementary, with a rather limited overlap area in terms of usage...
Score
January 21, 2013 12:38:33 PM

What's up with 2005? Apple jumped to 21% and "other" to 29%. I'm guessing it was due to how they were measuring things or something. It looks weird. I would have expected a jump in Apple OS usage around the iPhone release, not two years prior.
Score
January 21, 2013 12:39:51 PM

Steam Box will change everything and once Gamers move to Linux...Windows is over.
Score
January 21, 2013 12:43:26 PM

FiliprinoLinux is only a kernel not an OS. Android has a totally different userspace than GNU/Linux, it does not serve to us, GNU/Linux users, having Android with that marketshare. Hell, Android devices have bad GNU/Linux compatibility thanks to the use of propietary protocols like MTP that have to be reverse engineered and hacked to work with the quirks of the poor quality software manufacturers deliver.
And your typical Android app on top of that usually runs on a variant of Java, which is a platform in itself
Score
January 21, 2013 1:04:11 PM

Ubuntu on STEAM is going to drive another nail into the desktop monopoly of Windows. Long Live Open Source, Long Live Linux
Score
January 21, 2013 1:14:19 PM

wozza365linux will only get bigger, it now has a lot of things going for it in the desktop space especially with Valve behind linux

valve with steambox, and ouya, and what else in the future... microsoft is just, alone. the giant is battling with packs of ant.. who will win? if they formed up in unity to create a pleasing and enjoyfull ecosystem, of course the ants and its costumer will win.
Score
January 21, 2013 1:59:22 PM

back_by_demandVery simple analogy and very true, compare Android to Windows 7 and it's a bit like comparing Ferraris to skateboards

And comparing an iPhone with a netbook costing 1/3?
Score
January 21, 2013 2:13:43 PM

But if you consider all computing platforms, including mobile, than Windows has only 20 percent and Linux has 42 percent - and that would be in the form of Google's Android alone.

"than" (Windows)?

You mean "then" Windows... (actually, the word should be dropped altogether)
Score
January 21, 2013 2:13:46 PM

lradunovic77Steam Box will change everything and once Gamers move to Linux...Windows is over.

For some reason that sounded weak and just plain sad.
Score
January 21, 2013 2:16:38 PM

Xperia phone homeLinux is "free" of course companies are going to use a "free" thing over an expensive one. I just hope a better implementation of Linux is coming soon. Android is okay at best and a pile of crap at worst. And why do we have to program in Java when the hardware is ALWAYS ARM anyway?

Uhmmm, no they won't. Linux is community supported and big companies won't risk their business by using community supported software/OS or whatever. Sorry.
Score
January 21, 2013 2:35:27 PM

What you mean by "big companies won't risk their business" to Linux is that you're talking about companies other than IBM, HP, AT&T, Verizon, and such... right? And of course, you're not talking about the US Gov't either...

I'd think your company list might be small.... can you provide some examples of these companies that don't use Linux in some way today?
Score
January 21, 2013 2:57:11 PM

GNCDUhmmm, no they won't. Linux is community supported and big companies won't risk their business by using community supported software/OS or whatever. Sorry.

Of course not! Obviously they will trust an OS they have no idea whats going on inside of, because thats not a security risk at all! Only small companies like would openly get rid of their windows machines!

Oh wait....
Score
January 21, 2013 4:03:54 PM

Digging up old articles eh. While its true but its like saying No one is using chromeOS because its a POS garbage. However though I see how Google Chrome is now a metro style. How about Android gets all patched up with the latest "security" threats. Can't wait for the new Blackberry 10. Android blows.
Score
January 21, 2013 6:20:20 PM

GNCDUhmmm, no they won't. Linux is community supported and big companies won't risk their business by using community supported software/OS or whatever. Sorry.

you seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Ever heard of Red Hat?
Score
January 21, 2013 7:21:57 PM

Funny how linuxites such as myself have been crying for the "year of the linux" for some time, only to completely miss it when it comes. The year of the linux computer happened awhile ago with the introduction of AndroidOS. Linux has already won.
Score
January 21, 2013 8:04:55 PM

Quote:
Much of those projections are based on crystal ball evaluations

More likely than actual research. By the way, Goldman Sachs should get back to gold-plating their stuff and leave the IT market surveys to someone who has an actual understanding of it.
Score
January 21, 2013 8:05:26 PM

I think someone never heard of:

-IBM (Linux been one of the many OS they have available);
-Red Hat (they are the biggest company entirely based around Linux);
-Novell (SUSE Linux);
-Citrix;
-VMware (their ESX server is build on Linux kernel, but oddly enough vmsphere client is not available on Linux)
-Oracle (in their case Linux cover the lower end, for high end they use Solaris[main reason been ZFS, which is one of the best file system available);
-Google (Android, along using their own remix of Ubuntu for their in-house OS)
-Samsung (everything they offer, that require an OS, outside of phone and PC is based on Linux)

If you use networking equipment (router, switch...) is also most likely working on Linux or Unix.
Score
January 21, 2013 9:37:21 PM

IT companies are not what GNCD is talking about. Corporate Enterprise markets, banks and their like spend a ridiculous amount of money on IT. Specifically they spend more on software / licensing then they do on hardware and they do it for a very good reason. Inside those licensing and support agreements are legal clause's that make the provider responsible for damages should their product fail.

A company won't "switch to Community Linux" because the "community" can not be held legally accountable for failures / bugs in the software that could result in millions of USD in damages. Instead company's contract out specific solutions from venders and those venders are then responsible for those bugs. Thus a company will use RHEL but only because Red Hat is offering 24/7 support with the option to send a technician directly to the site. In that circumstance RH is legally obligated to solve their customers problem within a specific time frame which is itself negotiated in the Service Level Agreement (for your ITIL folks).

Quote:
-IBM (Linux been one of the many OS they have available);
-Red Hat (they are the biggest company entirely based around Linux);
-Novell (SUSE Linux);
-Citrix;
-VMware (their ESX server is build on Linux kernel, but oddly enough vmsphere client is not available on Linux)
-Oracle (in their case Linux cover the lower end, for high end they use Solaris[main reason been ZFS, which is one of the best file system available);
-Google (Android, along using their own remix of Ubuntu for their in-house OS)
-Samsung (everything they offer, that require an OS, outside of phone and PC is based on Linux)

None of these product Enterprise "Linux" instead they provide "Solutions". Those solutions cost a lot of money, much more then MS charges (for the support). Their products tend to be more flexible through.

And before people jump on me, I'm a proud supporter of Linux based solutions. I just wish people would understand that Corporate markets work differently then your home. HW costs are trivial when compared to license costs which themselves are trivial when compared to the monster that is support agreements. CIO's don't sleep soundly unless they know their protected by iron clad support agreements.
Score
January 22, 2013 3:38:08 AM

wozza365linux will only get bigger, it now has a lot of things going for it in the desktop space especially with Valve behind linux

Valve is porting every Windows game to Linux? Didn't think so.
Score
January 22, 2013 4:40:07 AM

gshaugerValve is porting every Windows game to Linux? Didn't think so.

They, at least, already have more game available for Linux, then release title any console has got to this day and we are still just in beta.

Also DOS based games want to some words with you, they don't remember Microsoft porting the capability to run them, when they switched fully to NT based OS.
Score
January 22, 2013 5:07:54 AM

ignorant comment
Score
January 22, 2013 4:12:21 PM

marcolorenzoyeeaahhh...combining the mobile platform market with the standard PC/Mac market...that's really fair.
actually it's quite fair. Meet people are using tablets and phones for the computing needs. The desktop computer is becoming more irreverent. Even my girlfriend use her phone to use the Internet most of the time. Even thou I have an iPad and windows desktop and notebooks available. People ARE using these mobile devices as their min computer.... we can do everything on them thats we could on our desktop from 10 years ago and more... this response is from my phone.
Score
January 23, 2013 6:29:12 AM

Those solutions cost a lot of money, much more then MS charges (for the support).

ROTFL

First you claim that Enterprise spend lots of cash on software, then you point out that Linux disadvantage is its price for support which is bigger than Win support.

Ever used such "support"?

Btw. TCO is what rock and roll, and you have not mentioned that. Hence I hardly can believe that you work in enterprise part of market.

Anyway that statistics ARE ABOUT CONSUMER Linux, and CONSUMER Windows, and CONSUMER iOS/OSX, etc..
Score
February 8, 2013 7:44:05 AM

Let me get this straight: Windows OS has 92 % of the PC market, and 20 % of all platforms, and they made a windows 8 that is specificly NOT for PCS?

Wow, that company has a brilliant bussines plan.
Score
February 15, 2013 1:39:23 AM

palladin9479... I just wish people would understand that Corporate markets work differently then your home....

I hope exactly the same from M$.
WTF they where thinking when put the Metro UI in the face of Command line lovers?

M$ have lost touch whit the user base.Windows Phone is going nowhere and now windows 2012 server put a lot of crap between the administrator and the hardware.BAD idea.

Kinda sad because back in the days; server 2k3 was essentially everywhere and now 2013 will put M$ share % into the single digit.

Score
May 15, 2013 11:11:13 AM

The author's stats comparing Linux (which isn't an OS) to Windows has no clout.
Score
October 6, 2013 7:10:46 PM

I smell poo. in 2005 we had apple pop up (ok thats believable) but the same year we also had "Other" go from 0 to 29% ? It reeks of "in 2005 we quietly changed what we decided to count but pretended it stayed an apples to apples comparison.
Score
November 4, 2013 12:35:15 PM

Well,first of all this statistic is only about operating systems
People use applications;to talk about your favourite OS is like talking about the colour of the handle of your favourite knife:) 
Secondly,the projections from 2011 onward are unrealistic to say the least
if the market has diversified from one vendor to 3 that tendency will continue
the market share of Others will increase in time and more major players will appear
Score
January 23, 2014 1:19:21 PM

Quote:
What's up with 2005? Apple jumped to 21% and "other" to 29%. I'm guessing it was due to how they were measuring things or something. It looks weird. I would have expected a jump in Apple OS usage around the iPhone release, not two years prior.
Aside from emerging markets and kids "coming of age", if you haven't got an iPhone now you probably aren't in the market for one, just like it has been for Windows for eons. This just creates a very slow and steady growth pattern. The last spurt that bucked the trend (two years prior) was in relation to the reduction in prices allowing people who thought it was too expensive to star buying them.iPhone 5 was also a flop from a value perspective when compared to other iPhones and thus sore only average sales increases (off the back of part of Apples fashion appeal requiring that you have the latest one).
Score
!