4x4 in November: 3Ghz version as fast as 2.66 Ghz Kentsfield

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If this is true then AMD goes on my $hit list!
2P s1207 mainboard == no overclocking ability, settings/server mainboard == BS that will never end in my ugly case.
2 FX CPUs == waste of money, electricity and nerves == good bye AMD

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Do we really need quad-core cpu for next years games? I see some benchmarks but not really good on the games. I think dual-core would still reign next years gaming cpu's. :wink: That's just my opinion.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
But only due to its 0.33 Ghz clockspeed advantage:
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=674691&starttime=0&endtime=0

Timed to coincide with Kentsfield November launch.

125W TDP.
No word on pricing. (2.66 Ghz Kentsfield will be $1000.)
Motherboards will be expensive.

Of course, 4x4 is just marketing BS for a SMP opteron server rig as confirmed in the article.

SO if Rahul Sood (VooDooPC) says it will change the enthusiast market on his blog who should you believe?

It sounds to me like people are mad because AMD is catering to a certain market the way Dell did with it's $10,000 water cooled space heater.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
2P s1207 mainboard == no overclocking ability, settings/server mainboard == BS that will never end in my ugly case.

The article says nothing about OC. AMD would be fools to release an enthusuiast platform with no enthusiast features.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
4 x 4 has always reminded me of those TV commercials for "sugar things" fruit punch marketed at kids.

First they told us it has "10% real fruit juice",

...then the competative product has "25 real fruit juice".....

My reaction was always... "Well if real juice is so great, why no just by juice...?"

4 x 4 is the same..

By the time you have a power supply that dies 2 cpus, all the dimm slots, all the extra layers on the MB... why not just buy a SMP board and actually get, well, "100% real fruit juice"

Thius is marketing desparation and not a serious product for AMD.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
4 x 4 has always reminded me of those TV commercials for "sugar things" fruit punch marketed at kids.

First they told us it has "10% real fruit juice",

...then the other guy's product has "25% real fruit juice".....

My reaction was always... "Well if real juice is so great, why no just by real fruit juice...?"

4 x 4 is the same..

By the time you have a power supply that does 2 cpus, all the dimm slots, all the extra layers on the MB... why not just buy a SMP board and actually get, well, "100% real fruit juice"

Thius is marketing desparation and not a serious product for AMD.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

The article says nothing about OC. AMD would be fools to release an enthusuiast platform with no enthusiast features.
Do you really think that there will be 2P s1207 server mainboards with overclocking abilities?
But hey, what about Registered DDR2..................?!?!? :twisted:

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Do you really think that there will be 2P s1207 server mainboards with overclocking abilities?
But hey, what about Registered DDR2..................?!?!? :twisted:
It´s not a real sever mainboard. It has the same socket. Probably similar chipsets and processors, but that´s where the similarities stop. Otherwise calling it 4x4 would be an euphemism or, depending on your point of view, a lie. If they call it an enthusiast platform they better live up to it.

TRENDING THREADS