Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
OK, so i've finally gotten around to overclocking my C2D (specs are in my sig).

Yesterday i was running at 2.933GHz at 293Mhz FSB (1173MHz), with my memory at 880MHz. I left my Vcore and memory voltages at auto, and had no appriciable increase in idle or load temps (maybe a 1C increase at the most). It ran fine for a day, then while i was playing a game i got a hard crash and had to reboot, and another several hours later while watching a video.

I figured the cause to be the memory operating at too high a frequency? Anyways, so today i set things at 3.00GHz and 300MHz FSB (1200MHz) and changed my memory ratio to 3:4 so it would run at a comfortable 800MHz. I've only been running for about an hour, and haven't run into any problems yet.

Anyways, my issues being: i've heard bad things about running your memory at any ratio other than 1:1 and 2:3, true? false? Any real problems running at 3:4?

Also, i have to admit the memory may not have been the problem, i may have reached the point i need to increase the Vcore or memory voltage. So that begs the question of other C2D owners who are overclocking, when did you have to raise your voltages? and to what? Right now i'm letting the BIOS handle things with auto settings, CPU-Z is reporting the VCore ranging from 1.144 to 1.320, tho it spends the majority of time around 1.304.

P.S.
temps were:
idle temp 26C @ 293MHz and 2.93GHz using ASUS PCProbeII
idle temp 37C @ 293MHz and 2.93GHz using INTEL Thermal Analysis Tool
load temp 36C @ 293MHz and 2.93GHz using ASUS PCProbeII
load temp 46C @ 293MHz and 2.93GHz using INTEL Thermal Analysis Tool (single core load)
load temp 50C @ 293MHz and 2.93GHz using INTEL Thermal Analysis Tool (dual core load)

Right now my ambient room temp is 18C so i'm not going to get accurate readings for 300MHz and 3.00GHz, i'll post those later if need be, but accounting for the low room temp, it doesn't look like the temps have gone up any from the ones posted above.

P.P.S.
I know the ASUS P5B/P5B Deluxe now allow you to change the cpu multiplier, does anyone know if any of the recent P5W DH BIOS updates included that feature too?

Lottie

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
And you're using an E6700 with 10x multiplier, it kill my dog brain cells to figure that out you know! :evil:

You were purposely ignore by the historian in the overclocking forum for a good reason.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
And you're using an E6700 with 10x multiplier, it kill my dog brain cells to figure that out you know! :evil:

Well obviously if you looked at my sig u'd know i'm using an E6700, and since i can't change the multiplier, yes its at 10.

You were purposely ignore by the historian in the overclocking forum for a good reason.

I have no idea what you are talking about????? Do you have me confused with someone else?

Lottie

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Well obviously if you looked at my sig u'd know i'm using an E6700, and since i can't change the multiplier, yes its at 10.
Gah, my dog B/W vision is limited.

I have no idea what you are talking about????? Do you have me confused with someone else?
No, you know exactly who I'm talking about in the Overclocking-CPU forum. Go to the proper forum down there and read how to remove your FSB wall.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Gah, my dog B/W vision is limited.

No, you know exactly who I'm talking about in the Overclocking-CPU forum. Go to the proper forum down there and read how to remove your FSB wall.

Ok first of all, i have absolutely NO idea who or what you are talking about. And secondly i don't know what you are talking about with an "FSB wall" either...

And thirdly, what on earth did i do to make you act so $hitty towards me?????

Lottie

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Your lack of knowledge and yet regularly/frequently spilling uninformed info like the rest of others throughout TGForumz.
And asking for help when the solution already existed for some time ago.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Your lack of knowledge and yet regularly/frequently spilling uninformed info like the rest of others throughout TGForumz.
And asking for help when the solution already existed for some time ago.

I think you must have me confused with someone else man. I very INfrequently post on these boards, much less post information. Only very occasionally do i give anyone advice. I seriously think you have me confused with someone else.

Now as for uninformed, you can call me that if you want too, i don't really give a rat's @SS, but you should know you're talking to someone with 3 college degrees; Computer Science, Graphic Design, and Game Art and Design. I've built computers since i was 15 years old and make a living using them every day. I don't need some high school drop-out kid like you telling me i'm "uninformed".

Now if we really want to nitpick, lets talk about your $hitty grammar. I certainly hope english isn't your first language. And if it isn't, where the hell did you learn? Because you suck at english, you might want to learn the language before using it, yea and i don't care if you live somewhere where it isn't spoken, you wanna type in it on the internet, LEARN IT and LEARN IT CORRECTLY.

And finally, i have every god d@mn right in the world to ask whatever the hell i want to ask. All i did was post asking for a little information into other people's experience with overclocking their C2Ds. I certainly didn't ask for a tirade from someone like you. Don't you have anything better to do than hijack people's threads and pick fights with them?

And now since you've effectively killed my thread with your useless banter (which was your goal from the beginning i assume) would you please run away?

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
And now since you've effectively killed my thread with your useless banter (which was your goal from the beginning i assume) would you please run away?

run, run, run boy run lol

(im only joking :lol: )

jtoops

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Logic Sequence,

I have the same CPU, memory, and motherboard. I mostly followed the directions posted elsewhere for overclocking (with 1:1 memory ratio). Since I couldn't get it stable past 3.4g, I decided to turn my voltages lower to find out the culprit.

For me to be stable at 3.4g, the only voltage setting for me was to set Vcore to 1.4 (my memory is running at 340x2=680). With my case closed, my ITA (100% work load on both cores) temps are about 55C. So I guess I won't try going higher.

At 3.5g, everything looked fine using the PI 32, etc. The only one that complained was Prime95 (torture test). So that is the only when I trust to tell me that something is not ok.

Goodluck.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
*pats Lottie*
That's a good dog!

If the entire exercise with Lottie wasn't so completely asinine, i'd make a complete post about how mean that response of yours was. But you're acting just as rude as he was, so i wont. :roll:

At least you got Lottie's species correct...