ATI Radeon 9700 PRO and Need For Speed Underground

Last response: in Video Games
November 12, 2004 1:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

Hey all,
I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks.
November 13, 2004 3:49:05 AM

rsc wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
> Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
> 20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
> crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
> all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
> Thanks.

What drivers you using ?

The Catalyst 4.10 work fine....
Also check your card is not getting too hot.
My original fan on the Card burnt out a few months back....put a new
cpu-type fan on it...
and Bingo...works fine....
all maxed-out on NFS Underground....

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

Skype callto://hellward
NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
Yeowww
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:08:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

I am using Catalyst 4.10. I opened the box and noticed that the fan
on my video card is not running. Does the fan on an ATI 9700PRO run
all the time? I think the card is overheating. Is installing a new
fan easy?

Jez <iced_spear@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<Ufudnba9HIihxwjcRVnygw@pipex.net>...
> rsc wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
> > Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
> > 20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
> > crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
> > all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
> > Thanks.
>
> What drivers you using ?
>
> The Catalyst 4.10 work fine....
> Also check your card is not getting too hot.
> My original fan on the Card burnt out a few months back....put a new
> cpu-type fan on it...
> and Bingo...works fine....
> all maxed-out on NFS Underground....
>
> --
> Jez
> 'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
> notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
> led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
> that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
> skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
> Howard Zinn
>
> Skype callto://hellward
> NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
> Yeowww
November 15, 2004 4:58:13 AM

rsc wrote:
> I am using Catalyst 4.10. I opened the box and noticed that the fan
> on my video card is not running. Does the fan on an ATI 9700PRO run
> all the time?

Yes, it's supposed to.

I think the card is overheating. Is installing a new
> fan easy?

Quite easy...but you have to be very careful.

I haven't been able to find an exact replacement for the original...even
after a few days looking through the model numbers, but a CPU fan did
the job, although you have to find screws that are a bit longer...
then screw it straight onto the heat sink...
Hopefully someone here could give you better instructions..

Meanwhile, I'd say don't run the card...it'll burn out.

--

!