ATI Radeon 9700 PRO and Need For Speed Underground

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

Hey all,
I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9700 speed underground
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    rsc wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
    > Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
    > 20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
    > crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
    > all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
    > Thanks.

    What drivers you using ?

    The Catalyst 4.10 work fine....
    Also check your card is not getting too hot.
    My original fan on the Card burnt out a few months back....put a new
    cpu-type fan on it...
    and Bingo...works fine....
    all maxed-out on NFS Underground....

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

    Skype callto://hellward
    NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
    Yeowww
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    I am using Catalyst 4.10. I opened the box and noticed that the fan
    on my video card is not running. Does the fan on an ATI 9700PRO run
    all the time? I think the card is overheating. Is installing a new
    fan easy?

    Jez <iced_spear@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<Ufudnba9HIihxwjcRVnygw@pipex.net>...
    > rsc wrote:
    > > Hey all,
    > > I am running a WinXP, 2.4g box with a gig of ram and a 9700PRO.
    > > Whenever I play NFSU 1 or 2, the card will cause a crash after about
    > > 20/30 mins. I can play UT2004 for hours with no hiccups, but NFSU
    > > crashes me. I know it is a video card crash because I get the lines
    > > all over the screen. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > What drivers you using ?
    >
    > The Catalyst 4.10 work fine....
    > Also check your card is not getting too hot.
    > My original fan on the Card burnt out a few months back....put a new
    > cpu-type fan on it...
    > and Bingo...works fine....
    > all maxed-out on NFS Underground....
    >
    > --
    > Jez
    > 'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
    > notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
    > led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
    > that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
    > skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
    > Howard Zinn
    >
    > Skype callto://hellward
    > NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
    > Yeowww
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    rsc wrote:
    > I am using Catalyst 4.10. I opened the box and noticed that the fan
    > on my video card is not running. Does the fan on an ATI 9700PRO run
    > all the time?

    Yes, it's supposed to.

    I think the card is overheating. Is installing a new
    > fan easy?

    Quite easy...but you have to be very careful.

    I haven't been able to find an exact replacement for the original...even
    after a few days looking through the model numbers, but a CPU fan did
    the job, although you have to find screws that are a bit longer...
    then screw it straight onto the heat sink...
    Hopefully someone here could give you better instructions..

    Meanwhile, I'd say don't run the card...it'll burn out.

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
    notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
    led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
    that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
    skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
    Howard Zinn

    Skype callto://hellward
    NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
    Yeowww

ATI Crash Radeon Video Games