Canon PiXMA iP2000 firmware

Hi

I wanted to get my PiXMA iP2000 to work on Linux.
Unfortunately there are no drivers for it from Canon.
But I tried with the driver they have for the iP3100. It didn't work.

Now the situation is worse though ... Windows won't even recognise my
printer!
It seems using that driver on Linux corrupted something on the printer,
it comes up as an unknown USB device.

In the Device Manager the Device Instance ID for this device is
USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&3A9BE360&0&2

Apparently it should be USBPRINT\CANONIP2000\6&183AA36C&0&USB001 (from
looking in the registry).

I've put more information here...
http://davidf.sjsoft.com/wiki/linux/canon_ip2000

Does anyone have any idea where I could find out how to reset this? I
can't find any firmware updates for PiXMA printers from Canon. Even a
pointer to another mailing list / place where this question could be
answered would be really helpful! I'm a software developer and happy to
dig down into technical specs etc

Regards
David
2 answers Last reply
More about canon pixma ip2000 firmware

    David Fraser wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I wanted to get my PiXMA iP2000 to work on Linux.
    > Unfortunately there are no drivers for it from Canon.
    > But I tried with the driver they have for the iP3100. It didn't work.
    >
    > Now the situation is worse though ... Windows won't even recognise my
    > printer!
    > It seems using that driver on Linux corrupted something on the printer,
    > it comes up as an unknown USB device.

    The ip2000 is supproted under turboprint. Sure it's not open source but
    neither are the canon drivers. It's rather your choice whether it's
    worth it to spend the 30 euros on turbo print or return this piece of
    filth and exchange it for an ip3000 if possible. Not to be an assmaster
    or anything but the ip2000 isn't supported, the ip3000 is barely
    supported. You have a chance in hell getting the ip3000 to work, even
    under the old open source BJ drivers. I've never tried getting a
    developers kit from Canon but i'm told it's like pulling teeth.

    I would sugest you talk to canon about this issue. Canon is pretty good
    about warranty service even in cases where they believe it was your
    screw up. This is seriously your best bet. Firmware and NVM reset is
    not a procedure documented in the user manual and it's not it's easy to
    find the service manual... let alone the service software for it. I
    know it's shameful having to talk with support but they might replace
    your printer.

    If this fails look at the following info. I can only find info on the
    ip1500, a printer which requires a service tool to access some of the
    fuctions. The software might work to reset the ip2000 to factory
    paramaters.

    ------------------------

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Canon_22.html
    [ip1500 service tool]
    http://www.printersiam.com/data/DOWNLOAD.HTM
    [ip1500 service tool]
    http://www.printersiam.com/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip

    Canon PIXMA iP1500
    Waste Ink Counter Reset.
    Step 1: Manual for Service mode
    1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
    2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.
    3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
    4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.) should
    be orange.
    5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator (L.E.D.)
    should be green.
    6. Release both buttons.

    Often on the canons you can hit resume lots of times to get hard copy of
    the service mode options.

    Thanks for the feedback...
    I tried the EPROM reset etc and it all seemed to have no effect ...

    Took it back to the supplier and it turned out to have a faulty USB
    cable. Must have failed just when I tried to install it on my Linux
    machine. Replacing the cable made it work fine in Win2k now ...

    I'll try some of your suggestions on Linux now that its working again,
    I've got the TurboPrint driver

    Thanks again
    David

Printers Pixma Canon Peripherals