Sign in with
Your question

New system build, would like some expert feedback

Last response: in Motherboards
September 26, 2006 4:00:50 PM

I am in the market to begin building a new pc and would like to get some feedback from the experts here.

I am an avid gamer (FPS/MMORPG), graphic designer, and I dabble in a bit of audio editing so that should help with the use that this system will receive.

I will toss out a few requirements for digestion that might help piece this monster together:

Core 2 Duo CPU (leaning towards E6600), no plans to overclock
At least 2 gigs of memory
All of my pc use is done at 1600x1200 resolution on a Dell 20" LCD
Will use onboard audio
I would prefer Nvidia graphics as I have had good luck with their products but if it would make sense to use Crossfire, I would certainly be open to suggestions.

There's no reason to list out hard drives, optical drives, network (will use the onboard), or external peripherals in this list as I will attack that issue later.

My budget will be between $1200 and $1500.

Thanks all, I appreciate your help.
September 27, 2006 5:30:16 AM

You arent planning on overclocking anything at all?? or just the CPU and not alot??

This goes in General Homebuilt by the way, but ill help you.
September 30, 2006 10:58:14 AM

You need to be more specific.

What mobo make do u want?
What is Max. RAM capacity u can live with and what type?
How many PCI slots do u need?
How many PCI-E x16 slots OR x4 slots do u need?
How many SATA ports do u need?
What about audio? Onboard - OR - Separate sound card?
Related resources
October 2, 2006 5:36:51 PM

Quote:
You need to be more specific.

What mobo make do u want?
What is Max. RAM capacity u can live with and what type?
How many PCI slots do u need?
How many PCI-E x16 slots OR x4 slots do u need?
How many SATA ports do u need?
What about audio? Onboard - OR - Separate sound card?

Mobo Make: It needs to be from a respectable, reliable, and stable manufacturer.
RAM Capacity: 2-4Gigs
PCI Slots: Don't care
PCI-E x 16 or x4: Don't know, guess it depends on the board and peripherals
SATA Ports: Well, at least 2.
Audio: I've already specified in my original post.
October 2, 2006 6:36:35 PM

Uh, Zahid is asking questions that most likely are of no relevance.

I'm assuming 1200-1500 just for the parts you want, not the whole system (i.e. minus the peripherals you said)

Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, DQ6, or MSI975X platinum. I'd lean towards the P5W-DH

2 gig of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 or OCZ gold DDR2-800. Memory wise, whichever one is cheaper at the time, depends on rebate and whatnot. I like OCZ more, some people like Corsair more. G. Skill, Crucial Ballistix, Mushkin, all make good RAM too. Choose between any of these and whichever one is cheaper.

I would recommend a X1900XT since it performs better than the 7900GS. But better yet, I would wait for DX10 cards. That choice is up to you though. ATI beats out Nvidia right now (marginally, but beats out) so I would prefer them, although their XFire isin't as elegant as SLI. But going Xfire or SLI is up to you again.

I assume you need a case and/or PSU?

Case, I would recommend the NZXT Zero, 8 case fan's...

PSU, GameXStream 600W... 700W if you want to dual DX10 cards. The Antec Trio 650W is decent for a good price, if you want to for a cheaper PSU.

Cooling... If you plan to OC, Scythe Infinity. If not, then stock cooler or an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro.

All that should be around 1300-1400 (e6600, forgot to list that) and would be a great OC'er. If you don't plan on going XFire (all the mobos I list can't SLI due to the Intel chipset, but can XFire) then a P5B, DS3, AB9 Pro would work fine. Also save you another 100 bucks.
October 2, 2006 9:29:46 PM

Quote:

2 gig of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 or OCZ gold DDR2-800. Memory wise, whichever one is cheaper at the time, depends on rebate and whatnot. I like OCZ more, some people like Corsair more. G. Skill, Crucial Ballistix, Mushkin, all make good RAM too. Choose between any of these and whichever one is cheaper.

ANY modules of DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-xx timings will be using the same Micron chips. Therefore theyll perform the same. Dont pay for the premiun prices nor listen to any marketing hype. Go for the cheapest and save some bucks.
!