mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I'm a big hardware newb, but I recently got excited about the idea of trying to build an extremely nice rig with all the money I've saved from working a shitty EB Games job. I'm considering the Intel Core 2 Quad or Duo but I have a very newbie question to ask...

Is the Intel Core 2 Duo 64 bit? And if so what does that mean in terms of preformance VS AMD 64X2s. Also if I buy an Extreme Intel Core 2 Quad does that make it the same as every other Extreme Core 2 Quad? Is there a certain brand I should look for like with video cards so I can get the maximum overclock out of it?

Thanks for your help guys.

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
For the performance of the processors, look at the CPU performance charts here on Tom's.

Look at the benchmarks that are the closest to the applications/games you plan to run to help decide which processor is right for you and your budget. In the benchmarks window, click on the colored bars to see the exact hardware that achieved that performance level.

Search the forums for the abundant threads showing possible builds for any price range to get an idea on what items you need and what is compatible. When you think you are close to getting all of your parts selected, create a post on the "General Homebuilt" forum asking for comments.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Processors aren't like video cards. The people who sell them is Intel or AMD. With video cards the companies buy the chip from ATI, Nvidia, etc and then can tweak or modify the overall design of the card by adding faster memory (of the same type), overclocking a bit, or changing the changing the cooler.
With a processor its coming direct from the manufacturer, through the reseller, to you. So yes its just like every other one and overclocking ability is based on how well the processor was made. Two different dies from the same wafer, even right next to each other, can have different overclocking potential.