Sign in with
Your question

predictions on dx10 capabilitys

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

what should i do???

Total: 46 votes

• wait for dx10 and get vista.
  • 24 %
  • get an x1900xtx and upgrade to xfire later.
  • 7 %
  • get an dx10 card and just use it with windows XP until i have more money and more dx10 games come out.
  • 22 %
  • get an xbox 360 (im mostly upgrading for oblviion anyway.
  • 7 %
  • dig a hole, get in it, and wait a year for dx10 to be widely supported.
  • 42 %
September 26, 2006 4:42:50 PM

im thinking an total system upgrade is due around xmass this year but im not sure what to do about this vista/dx10 thing.

i could get a x1900xtx and play olbivion at a good clip at mostly maxed settings, wait a month or two and when the x1900xtx inevitably drop in price pick up another for Crossfire!!!

or

i could wiat for the dx10 cards to come out get a mid to high ranged card and have to invest in vista. costing my about the same as two x1900xtx's in crossfire.

im really leaving my future pc up to you guys to deside.. i've been trying to figure out what to do on this issue ever since i read about dx10 cards, which was about a month ago lol..
September 26, 2006 4:52:11 PM

I vote for no more threads about whether one should wait or not for DX10. NO MORE POSTS FOR YOU... COME BACK ONE WEEK! :wink:
September 26, 2006 4:54:57 PM

DX10 cards will grow outdated just as fast as the current generation does. If you feel like buying some serious performance right now for PC, get an X1900XT already, and forget about that "upgrading to Crossfire" crap. Upgrading means buying a new card, not buying another of the same. That's obvious.

The actual hardware will be slightly outdated when the next generation comes along, that's for sure. But this will also be true of the next generation hardware.
September 26, 2006 5:02:40 PM

We seriously only need one topic about this. Any topic with DX10 in the title should all automatically be merged together. Maybe I'll send an e-mail to Tom suggesting this O.O
September 26, 2006 5:05:33 PM

Here's a plan :

-Get the x1900xtx play oblivion almost maxed.
-Get crossfire later in the year to hold you over, then save money for Vista and a dx10 card.
-Then play ut2007, S.t.a.l.k.e.r. and Crysis on dx9 until the second generation of DX10 cards are available.
-Then purchase Vista (again, along with one of the gfx cards from the release of the second generation of dx10 cards.) so that most of the bugs have been worked out, and Directx 10 games will be in full swing.

Enjoy
September 26, 2006 5:14:11 PM

Why does the title of this thread have nothing to do with the questions posed in your poll?
September 26, 2006 5:15:01 PM

isnt crysis vista only?
September 26, 2006 5:27:18 PM

Quote:
isnt crysis vista only?

No.
September 26, 2006 5:57:08 PM

I wouldn't worry about waiting for a first generation DX10 GPU. It's going to be a year before DX10 settles out and games really use it.

1) Compilers will need to be tweaked
2) Hardware will be buggy
3) Drivers will be in flux
4) Software writers will need to learn how to use the new features.
5) New game engines will need to be created
6) Vista will be hammered by bug reports once it goes primetime. Patches will be flowing and any of them could cause major rework as changes cause more changes.
A lot of the new features will end up not being used and hardware will need several spins to get the optimizations right.

All of that is just standard growing pains for any major release of the software platform foundation.
September 26, 2006 6:45:00 PM

Logic dictates that one should wait until DX'0 matures and more programmers make use of the new library. I believe that you should be fine with your current x1900xtx, and you'll be even better if prices drop out and you get a second one! 8)

September 26, 2006 6:49:02 PM

I predict that the DX10 hype will continue unabated.
September 26, 2006 7:11:04 PM

Do what you feel is best. We can't tell you what to do. Do whatever you want.

Also,
can we please stop with constant useless "DX10" crap? Forumz will load faster.
September 26, 2006 7:17:41 PM

Why ask us again, when there are hundreds of these threads out there. Wait or don't wait, up to you. Your going to buy a DX10 card anyways sooner or later. If you can wait a couple of months than wait. If you can't, then just buy now.
September 27, 2006 5:49:55 AM

Another alternative is to get X1950 Pro, then upgrade to DX10 cards with R600 or R680 chipset and reuse the X1950 Pro as a physics card. This way you can save money because you can put the old DX9 card to new use instead of just selling it to someone for a cheap price.
September 27, 2006 10:41:10 AM

Quote:
And when you wake up from the hole G90 and R700 would've been under development by then so you dig another hole to hibernate etc.

HAHAHA :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
September 27, 2006 5:54:29 PM

Quote:
Another alternative is to get X1950 Pro, then upgrade to DX10 cards with R600 or R680 chipset and reuse the X1950 Pro as a physics card. This way you can save money because you can put the old DX9 card to new use instead of just selling it to someone for a cheap price.

That is assuming that you can crossfire the new DX10 card with the x1950 card.
!