Oops! Socket WLAN card left in overnight

January 23, 2005 6:39:57 PM

Well, I got the Socket Low Power WLAN Card working with my home network.
Figuring it shouldn't take much time at work on Monday and the Library some
time later this week.

I left the card in the ipaq 2215 all day yesterday and last night. The ipaq
was turned off when I set it down, but I never looked at it again until this
morning when I hit the on button to use Laridian Bible. Nothing. Nada.
Nil.

Dropped it into the charger and got the new startup screen - aaarrrggghhh!
I hadn't done a recent backup so I am left to do a totally new reinstall of
all the stuff I've installed over the past year or so.

I was using Sprite Backup to prevent this kind of problem, but about 2 weeks
ago it stopped working. Now I seem to be out of luck. I'll see what I can
do on the work computer tomorrow, maybe I'll get lucky and get the Sprite
software to work there so I can restore everything up to that point.

I'm not sure what lesson to take away from this, other than to pull the wlan
card when not in use!

mcq
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:23:14 PM

ooops...

here's what probably happened.

the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the
calendar/task data.

during this period, the card established a connection with your ap

the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
timer to bow out.

The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:41:00 PM

At least in some of the Socket drivers there is also an option to ""Allow
Pocket PC to suspend when wireless network is used". Obviously if not
checked, the device won't suspend if the wireless card is in and the PPC
turns on. I'd also go out to www.Socketcom.com and get the latest
appropriate driver. I sort of remember some issues with Socket Cards and
their continuing to use slot power when not in use. Can't pinpoint that, but
latest drivers wouldn't hurt.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
message news:%23Q2AmraAFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> ooops...
>

> here's what probably happened.
>
> the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the
> calendar/task data.
>
> during this period, the card established a connection with your ap
>
> the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
> timer to bow out.
>
> The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
> least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

January 23, 2005 11:12:28 PM

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>ooops...
>

>here's what probably happened.
>
>the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the
>calendar/task data.
>
>during this period, the card established a connection with your ap
>
>the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
>timer to bow out.
>
>The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
>least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

Definitely good advise, but the 2215 has a low power mode. When it
gets to a certain point, it is supposed to suppend and not turn on
again until you give it power. That low power mode is supposed to last
a minimum of 12 hrs and you can allocate as much as 72 hrs from your
battery for that mode.

AFAIK, there is no way to turn that feature off, so I guess he had it
set at its lowest level and that got used up.

I kept mine at 36 hrs. It probably robbed me of 30-45 minutes of on
time usage, but it is worth it IMHO.
January 23, 2005 11:22:03 PM

Maybe you should boycott HP products.

mcqz wrote:

> Well, I got the Socket Low Power WLAN Card working with my home network.
> Figuring it shouldn't take much time at work on Monday and the Library some
> time later this week.
>
> I left the card in the ipaq 2215 all day yesterday and last night. The ipaq
> was turned off when I set it down, but I never looked at it again until this
> morning when I hit the on button to use Laridian Bible. Nothing. Nada.
> Nil.
>
> Dropped it into the charger and got the new startup screen - aaarrrggghhh!
> I hadn't done a recent backup so I am left to do a totally new reinstall of
> all the stuff I've installed over the past year or so.
>
> I was using Sprite Backup to prevent this kind of problem, but about 2 weeks
> ago it stopped working. Now I seem to be out of luck. I'll see what I can
> do on the work computer tomorrow, maybe I'll get lucky and get the Sprite
> software to work there so I can restore everything up to that point.
>
> I'm not sure what lesson to take away from this, other than to pull the wlan
> card when not in use!
>
> mcq

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:22:55 PM

And I presume, always, always, always doc the PPC when not in use or on
your person?

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:

> ooops...
>

> here's what probably happened.
>
> the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the
> calendar/task data.
>
> during this period, the card established a connection with your ap
>
> the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
> timer to bow out.
>
> The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
> least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

January 24, 2005 12:34:24 PM

>> always dock... <<

Not really... in almost five years of ppc use, this situation is the
only one that I have experienced that has done this.

It would be interesting to know if turning the unit off while an audio
file is being played would set up the same type of circumstance.

>> allow suspend <<

Was reluctant to mention that as the "allow suspend" setting has had a
history of causing other problems

>> remove card <<

An addendum... the only time I have seriously damaged a ppc in those
five years of daily use was when I retracted the card from the pins but
left the card in the slot sitting on the bedside table.

An allergy started a sneezing fit just as I reached for it and I knocked
it to the floor where it hit "card first" The impact separated the card
socket from the motherboard, ruining the unit.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:40:44 AM

Reply to message from "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]"
<BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> (Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:23:14) about "Re: Oops!
Socket WLAN card left in overnight":

BH> ooops...

BH> here's what probably happened.

BH> the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the
BH> calendar/task data.

BH> during this period, the card established a connection with your ap

BH> the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
BH> timer to bow out.

BH> The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
BH> least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

BH> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

I don't have that problem with a Sandisk Compact Flash Plus wifi card.
There must be a setting that was missed.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporter@netwalk.com> Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:13:55 -0400

January 27, 2005 12:40:47 AM

Reply to message from "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-
silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.coSun, 23 Jan 2005 22:12:28 (Sun, 23 Jan 2005
22:12:28) about "Re: Oops! Socket WLAN card left in overnight":

EH> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>> ooops...

>> here's what probably happened.

>> the device turned on at midnight (all ppc's do) to update the calendar/
>> task data.

>> during this period, the card established a connection with your ap

>> the device then had a valid, ongoing process that told the power off
>> timer to bow out.

>> The best solution is to remove the card when it's not in use, or at
>> least pull it out far enough to disconnect it.

EH> Definitely good advise, but the 2215 has a low power mode. When it
EH> gets to a certain point, it is supposed to suppend and not turn on
EH> again until you give it power. That low power mode is supposed to last
EH> a minimum of
EH> 12 hrs and you can allocate as much as 72 hrs from your battery for
EH> that mode.

That is the best explanation of that setting that I have come across. Now
it makes sense to me how it works. Thanks for that.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporter@netwalk.com> Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:19:04 -0400