wireless network security--no internet connection

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I am having some difficulties after implementing some security measures on my home network. I am using a Linksys router and so far I have disabled the SSID, I have told the router the IP addresses to accept from the other computers. Finally, I enabled WPA.

Here’s the problem: prior to setting up my security, the other computers could get on the Internet. However, when I enabled the security on the router, I can’t get Internet connection on the computers that are not attached to the router. I am getting no signal strength at all on the other computers. The computers are in the next room—close to the room with the router. Distance is not an issue.

I would appreciate and tips and solution to this problem. I am thinking maybe something I have to do with the adapter cards on the other computers.

Thanks

Ron

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Since you disabled the broadcasting of your SSID, the computers using wireless won't be able to see the SSID of the wireless router unless you specifically add that wireless network to your preferred network in Windows wireless setup on those PCs. You will either need to add them under the Windows Wireless Network connection properties or in the Wireless network card utility that is installed for the wireless NIC. I haven't used WPA before (only WEP) but from a little reading you must take the WPA key that the router returns and also enter this key on the wireless PCs for them to communicate with the router at all.

Let us know how it goes.