Sign in with
Your question

Random BSODs Kernel-Power Event

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 31, 2011 1:01:39 AM

Hi all,

For the past two months I've been having a series of seemingly random BSODs. I haven't exactly been keeping track of the error codes as of late, but I know I've seen 3 different ones in the past week or so. I believe after posting this I'll edit and update with the codes I get, but I can't offer much help now.

As for the scenario, this mostly happens when I'm playing a game for a while; or when viewing full screen video for extended periods of time. The computer restarts, I boot Windows normally, and I'm greeted with a Windows Recovered from a Critical Event or something like that. When I click find solution, it searches for a while and replies that there are no fixes. It might just be me but I feel like it happens more often when the room temp is higher, and when I hear the fans spinning more. I'm thinking it's either overheating or my PSU isn't up to par with the rest of my system.

I checked event viewer and I've got 17 occurrences of this in the past 2 months. I'm really worried my components might start to feel the effects of this if they haven't already.

The only thing I've been able to find on the net with some substance is this, but I haven't been able to really find use for this as the directions aren't very clear.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

If it helps more to see the individual events in friendly or XML view just let me know and I'll post them, I just don't want to spam up a thread with a bunch of garble if it's not necessary.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620

MOBO: MSI 770-G45

BIOS: American Megatrends v10.6

RAM: 2 x 2GB Corsair CM3X21333C9

GFX: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770

PSU: OCZ 500w

Please help me before my budget gaming PC kicks the bucket!

P.S. As I'm not sure if it's an OS or hardware issue I thought I'd post it here first. If anybody thinks it's better suited for another category please let me know.
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2011 5:02:43 AM

Have you tried booting it up in safemode ?
m
l
May 31, 2011 8:31:23 AM

Copied from the Win 7 FAQ:

3. Windows 7 keeps blue screening on me! What can I do to stop it?
A: The error code ultimately determines what specific course of action to take when resolving a blue screen of death. Before attempting to dive in to the root cause of the STOP error, the two things one should attempt first are:
1. Update all of the major drivers on your system. Video, Sound, Network, and chipset are the 4 major devices and typically the most common source of several commonly occurring blue screens. Check the websites of your video card, motherboard and (if necessary) sound card manufacturers to obtain the most up to date drivers for Windows 7. If the manufacturer does not yet offer drivers built specifically for Windows 7, in most cases, the Windows Vista drivers will work in their place.
2. Run a diagnostic on your computer’s RAM to ensure it is still functioning properly. One very good diagnostic tool to use is MemTest86+. If your RAM is found to be faulty, replace as needed.

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2011 8:41:26 AM

Forgot to mention that.
You can usse memtest86+ to see if its a fault with RAM. Download it and burn it to a disk. Then with the disk inserted, re-boot. Boot from disk and check each stick of RAM seperately. That is, remove your first stick and check on the other, then remove the checked one and insert the non-checked stick.
m
l
May 31, 2011 11:59:54 PM

Ok, well I'll start by making sure my drivers are all up to date.

Video:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 8.821 from 1/26/2011

Sound:

AMD High Definition Audio Device - 7.12.0.7700 from 11/17/2010

High Definition Audio Device - 6.1.7601.17514 from 11/19/2010

Network:

Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Giabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) - 1.0.0.4 from 4/1/2009

Chipset

AMD 770 - (Couldn't find in device manager, but CPU-Z says Rev.00)

Now I have found the updated drivers for a few components, but I'm not sure what exactly I need. I can definitely tell I need to update them. I ONLY want the driver though, no bloatware.

Driver Websites:

GFX Drivers

Audio/Network/Chipset Drivers

I've had nothing but problems trying to get drivers. Last time I reformatted I went to the same exact ATI website and tried many of the links, but none of the executables I got seemed to update the drivers to the version mentioned and ALL seemed to install the Catalyst Center software that I don't want. I hate to have my hand held, but can someone tell me EXACTLY what links to click to get what I'm looking for? Even linking me to a walkthrough or youtube video might help if you don't care to hold hands.

Thanks so much for your help so far. This is looking promising now that I'm noticing most of my drivers are WAY out of date.
m
l
June 1, 2011 12:05:53 AM

Gman450 said:
Have you tried booting it up in safemode ?

Yeah, I have tried this to run AV as I thought it might be a virus at first. The computer seems to be stable in Safe Mode, and in normal mode while idling or under low strain (Playing Diablo 2), but after I begin doing something resource intensive for a while (Playing SC2 on highest settings) I get a BSOD. Very frustrating when playing league games...
m
l
July 4, 2011 7:54:19 PM

Well I haven't been using my computer much, but I did end up doing so last night and had some of the same problems. I was able to write down one of the messages and two error codes. I'm pretty sure I've updated my drivers to the latest and I'm still having problems.

The first error was 0x0000000A (no message at the top)

The second error was Driver IRQL Less or Not Equal - 0x000000D1

Video:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 8.850.0.0 from 4/19/2011

Sound:

AMD High Definition Audio Device - 7.12.0.7700 from 11/17/2010 (Same apparently?)

VIA High Definition Audio - 6.0.1.8800 from 9/27/2010 (Appears to have changed the name, but with an older driver?)

Network:

Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Giabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) - 1.0.0.37 from 12/28/2010

Chipset

AMD 770 - (Couldn't find in device manager, but CPU-Z says Rev.00 still)

Can anybody reassure me that these are the newest drivers or suggest the next step?
m
l
!